Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLeaphorn View Post
Which is why the Highway Trust Fund needed an $8 billion infusion from general revenues just to stay solvent. Why is it that the US DOT is telling Congress that something must change because tax revenues are not keeping up with expenses?
No idea, I'll venture to guess the feds and states are taking that money and spending it elsewhere. Assuming my numbers are correct and yours are they should have plenty of cash to fund it. The tax on gasoline alone almost meets the numbers you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,279,585 times
Take a bus to NYC, it'll cost $50, for $50 dollars it is slightly cheaper then !!!$100 billion!!! I'm pretty sure. That's a total savings of $999,999,950 dollars. Think of all the lottery ticket and smokes you can buy with that!

Last edited by W-B proud; 07-24-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,106,083 times
Quote:
I guess the old saying is correct. Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama in the middle.
You realize that 90% of the posters in this thread are transplants and educated. Did you ever think that the people of NEPA don't want to have a direct artery into NYC? Did you ever think that most people have moved here to get away from that crap and the ones that have always lived here don't want that same crap here?

It absolutely will not be an asset to the area and I highly doubt that the trains will be the economic savior of NEPA.

Why do people feel the need to want to ruin an area because they can't let go of where they moved from. If you want NYC convience then move to NYC. Don't spend billions to bring NYC here.

Last edited by weluvpa; 07-24-2009 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 AM

79 posts, read 150,328 times
I'm not sure this bill has anything to do with Scranton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Did you ever think that the people of NEPA don't want to have a direct artery into NYC?
I would think a majority of NEPA residents would favor a federally-funded High Speed Rail connection to the Northeast Corridor. Unfortunately, High Speed Rail is extremely expensive and there are far more deserving corridors yet to build. It's not going to happen. A standard-speed connection has less utility, but it ultimately does have utility and could be built. Something along these lines (standard-speed link to NYC, ABE, Reading, Elmira, Binghamton, Ithica) would ultimately make sense. As far as the disadvantages go, "Scranton is Scranton" and "Trains bring city crap" and "Trains ruin cities" sound less like legitimate reasons and more like disgruntled rambling. Just calling it like I see it.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:13 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,834,735 times
Quote:
I guess the old saying is correct. Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama in the middle.
If that saying is true, then I'm OK with that. Alabama has a lot better quality of life than Philly or Pittsburgh....

Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,123,489 times
I'm glad to see so many of you are against it! Very wise - you do not want to be a suburb of NYC.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,587,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I'm glad to see so many of you are against it! Very wise - you do not want to be a suburb of NYC.
Nope. I know I personally moved here to get away from all of that!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Take a bus to NYC, it'll cost $50, for $50 dollars it is slightly cheaper then !!!$100 billion!!! I'm pretty sure. That's a total savings of $999,999,950 dollars. Think of all the lottery ticket and smokes you can buy with that!

Um no. Not any one of us will be footing the ENTIRE bill so your "suggestion" makes no sense.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
You realize that 90% of the posters in this thread are transplants and educated. Did you ever think that the people of NEPA don't want to have a direct artery into NYC? Did you ever think that most people have moved here to get away from that crap and the ones that have always lived here don't want that same crap here?

It absolutely will not be an asset to the area and I highly doubt that the trains will be the economic savior of NEPA.

Why do people feel the need to want to ruin an area because they can't let go of where they moved from. If you want NYC convience then move to NYC. Don't spend billions to bring NYC here.

We already have a direct artery here - Martz buslines. How is having a TRAIN going to bring NYC to this area? I don't even know that that means? Bring NYC here? You mean people from NYC? What?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Too bad we already are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania