Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:50 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,975 times

Advertisements

I've heard about a possible rail link between Scranton and NYC at some time in the future and I'm wondering how likely it is. Also, what is the likely route? I'm guessing it's thru E. Stroudsburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Yes, something is in the works. But, don't hold your breath..........please.
This has been promised for 22 years.
If it is not a high speed train, then it will take forever to get to the city.
I understand they are looking into trying for one with few stops.
The groundwork is not done for this. The Portland bridge that the trains use to go over is unuseable. Crumbling.......
Everytime we saw someone moving train ties here and there, we thought THIS was the moment. We were going to have a train!...........
At this point, I'll believe it when I see it. I think that is far off, and will I still be here?

Old 11-10-2007, 06:40 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
I highly doubt that I will ever see it my lifetime. I also think that it would be the absolute worse thing that could happen to Scranton. The train will not be a high speed express currently there are only two of those on the east coast. It will be a standard commuter train with multiple stops along the way. Once in Hoboken you will have to transfer to other trains or ferries to get into NYC. It will be a useless commuter ride for anyone from the Scranton area but possibly manageable from the Gap or Stroudsburg. What it will do is become a easy and cheap way to get drugs from NYC to NEPA and those that follow them. I could careless if we ever get a train, we do not need it and certainly the cost will be excessive for our area.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:46 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,288 times
I'm beginning to care less about the train too. If you want to get to NYC by train, drive an hour to Port Jervis, NY and hop on there. Or just take the 2 hour drive by car and be done with it like I do. If you don't like those options, take a bus right into the Port Authority. Like Dan and Summering said, it's been talked about for so long people really don't think it's going to happen or even care anymore. I'm one of those people. It's something we've been doing without and continue to do without.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,271 times
I think they are still in the 'environmental impact study' phase of the project, but it is moving forward, although very slowly.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:49 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
I think they are still in the 'environmental impact study' phase of the project, but it is moving forward, although very slowly.
I heard that we might be able to expect to see the train in operation by 2057. I'll be at the tender age of 71 by then and still commuting to my job at PwC I'm sure. LOL!

Old 11-11-2007, 11:11 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,271 times
Nah, I think they've said 'realisitically' that it should be up and running in ten years, assuming there are no major setbacks. Don't forget, you're dealing with a lot of different government agencys here, and there is a TON of red tape to be cut through.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:45 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,551,298 times
That's great get another train where people are gone from 4am to 9pm so that their kids can go to better schools and have absentee parents. I hope we don't see the train, period. They commute out of Port Jervis 5 times a week, have dinner with their trainmates, and go home just to sleep to start all over again the next day.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:55 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I heard that we might be able to expect to see the train in operation by 2057. I'll be at the tender age of 71 by then and still commuting to my job at PwC I'm sure. LOL!

Wait!! 2057, I moved here in 1999 and they said by 2000. I know its here, I just can't find it, cuz da billduhs wouldn't lie to me when dey sold me da howz.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:57 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,551,298 times
LOL, the builders, some of them can sell the Brooklyn Bridge. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania