Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:41 PM

110 posts, read 491,288 times

Advertisements

This is one of the only major PA metro areas I have not been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
  • Very historic---lots of older, well-preserved buildings, especially in Scranton. Also some nice historic areas of Wilkes-Barre, but downtown underwent a "modernist" movement shortly after the major 1972 Agnes flood with disastrous consequences.
  • Very self-deprecating---when someone says "Hi. I just moved here from ___. Where's a good place to eat?" often times the locals will respond with "Why would you move HERE?" (as if we're the seventh layer of hell because the locals are mostly very insular and have never traveled before to appreciate the GOOD things we have here in NEPA).
  • Down-to-Earth---people here will give you the shirts off their backs in times of crisis. Even though we currently have the highest unemployment rate in the state and have a poverty rate of nearly 20%, people are still very, very generous. Chivalry is not dead in NEPA.
  • Sprawl-threatened---as the Poconos' exurban growth pushes closer and closer to the Luzerne and Lackawanna County lines, it is only perhaps another decade, in my estimation, before the flood gates open, and transplants start tumbling northwestwards into our area seeking a low cost-of-living, better schools (snicker), less congestion, and lower crime.
  • Scenic---there's a lot of natural splendor all around us. One can go from sipping a latte at Starbucks while toying around with their iPhone in Downtown Scranton to cross-country skiing or bird-watching in the hills outside of town just several miles away.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-11-2008 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-11-2008, 03:42 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,132 times
Dull, depressing, etc.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:30 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
I think downtown Wheeling is nicer then Scranton.....Didn't I stay in hotel by the first suspension bridge build in the US in Wheeling?

Old 12-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Downtown Wheeling is very nice, especially by West Virginia's standards. You also have a PROPER speed limit of 70 miles per hour on your Interstate as opposed to the "I'm an old fart and can't hit the gas pedal" 55 mile-per-hour speed limits up here. We ate at the Applebee's just to the east of town near Cabela's, and we found everyone there to be quite friendly on our way to Cincinnati last year.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:59 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,271 times
This Valley is unto itself like no other in the Country. The fact that you can see most of the populations dwellings from almost anywhere in the valley is beautiful. Working here, I get the whole breadth of the people who live here. The ones coming down from the Back Mountain to work with me in the Valley and how they avoided or did hit a deer. The singles in the urban sections that are renting or the ones content with the travel from Wayne County. In all scenarios, the people of NEPA are good down to earth people who just want to enjoy life and most I know want to enjoy nature. Of course there the types that enjoy the urban areas of the valley but that is what makes this area so great, a good mix of city life mixed in with nature.

I for one love the nature of the area and love gazing out my bay windows at the valley, I have friends in Pringle and look out across the valley towards their area and marvel that I can see their location. On days off their are countless wildlife areas to walk and do other things like picnic. Then there are the great many fairs that occur in the summer.

This smalltown feel with a big infrastructure will lend itself well to an area verged on a resurgance of growth. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 AM

567 posts, read 1,306,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
One can go from sipping a latte at Starbucks while toying around with their iPhone in Downtown Scranton to cross-country skiing or bird-watching in the hills outside of town just several miles away.
idk about scranton..

but the drive thru starbucks in wilkes barre.. JESUS the line is longer then at most mcdonalds!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
Quote:
Downtown Wheeling is very nice, especially by West Virginia's standards. You also have a PROPER speed limit of 70 miles per hour on your Interstate as opposed to the "I'm an old fart and can't hit the gas pedal" 55 mile-per-hour speed limits up here. We ate at the Applebee's just to the east of town near Cabela's, and we found everyone there to be quite friendly on our way to Cincinnati last year.
I passed through Wheeling once, stayed overnight in a hotel there on a long drive a few years ago. Seems like a nice city...a lot of nice older houses, and the scenery around it with how the mountains are right on top of the city and the suspension bridges is nice. Seems like a nice place to live, and it isn't all that far from Pittsburgh.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:25 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Quote:
[list] One can go from sipping a latte at Starbucks while toying around with their iPhone in Downtown Scranton to cross-country skiing or bird-watching in the hills outside of town just several miles away.
Where?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Where?
Lackawanna State Park is only a 15-minute jaunt outside the city. Tobyhanna State Park is about 20-minutes away. Frances Slocum State Park is 15-minutes outside of Wilkes-Barre. I go hiking sometimes on old trails off of Suscon Road, about a 10-minute drive outside of Dupont. Perhaps you're not "instantly" from urban to rural, but compared to many other urban areas being only 15-20-minutes away from natural splendor is something to be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania