Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:36 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingman View Post
Does the (edit Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area feel like a major metropolitan center like the population statistics show?
I wouldn't call 550k people a *major* metro area by any stretch, but it feels comparable overall in size to other metro areas around that population.

Very different topography from most others though-- less of an urban core than some, but still less suburbanized than others of this size. Kinda unique from what I've seen-- a fairly continuous medium density of towns and small cities packed into the valley, from Scranton down to WB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Now he's really looking forward to a trip to NEPA.

Note to original poster: When driving north from Wilkes-Barre to Scranton, remember to say Scranton/Wilkes-Barre starting at the half way point, around Pittston I'd guess. If you don't, who knows what might happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Oh, and to the original poster, its not the "Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area," its the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. You don't hear people say ridiculous things like:

Camden/Philadelphia area
Greensburg/Pittsburgh area
Alexandria/Washington area
Anaheim/Los Angeles area
Tacoma/Seattle area
Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area
Newark/New York City area
Gary/Chicago area
Fort Worth/Dallas area
St. Petersburg/Tampa area

So why would Wilkes-Barre, which is near half the population of Scranton, and not even known outside of PA, be listed before Scranton, which is larger and more well-known than Wilkes-Barre?? Like it or not, Wilkes-Barre, you are Scranton's ugly red-headed stepchild. The only reason the airport is named backwards is because of your old crooked congressman Dan Flood.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:54 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Now he's really looking forward to a trip to NEPA.

Note to original poster: When driving north from Wilkes-Barre to Scranton, remember to say Scranton/Wilkes-Barre starting at the half way point, around Pittston I'd guess. If you don't, who knows what might happen.
I'm from Greater Pittston, and 'round these parts we say the "Pittston/Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area!"

Old 12-14-2008, 08:46 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times
Notes in ()

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Oh, and to the original poster, its not the "Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area," its the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. You don't hear people say ridiculous things like:

Camden/Philadelphia area (i've never actually seen camden mentioned with philadelphia unless there was a homicide brought up on the news)
Greensburg/Pittsburgh area ( Wheres Greensburg lol)
Alexandria/Washington area ( not sure i've heard this one before)
Anaheim/Los Angeles area ( I see your Point lol)
Tacoma/Seattle area (i thinkthe gap between seattle/tacoma is a bit bigger then S/W-B)
Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area (St.Petersburg/Tampa works in FL too)
Newark/New York City area ( <-- thats the way it should be!!!)
Gary/Chicago area
Fort Worth/Dallas area (Dallas shouldnt count as a city.. i've been there it sucks.
St. Petersburg/Tampa area( you sly dog.. you already covered it)

(You can also say Reno/Las Vegas.)
I think if Scranton and W/B were in the same county.. alot of this would have been moot. Instead of the WB/S Penguins or the S/WB Yankees.. it could be the (insert county here) County Penguins or the (insert county here) County Yankees. and it would be referred to as the (Insert County Here) County Area.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:58 PM

32,618 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Why not merge Scranton and Wilkes-Barre to form one giant metropolis of over a half-million souls known as "ScranBarre?"

Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why not merge Scranton and Wilkes-Barre to form one giant metropolis of over a half-million souls known as "ScranBarre?"
lol sounds like a plan

Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
That would work. Then neither W-B or Scranton would be 3rd class cities by size and we'd be right up there at the top of the list. We'd have to rename the place. How about Floodtown after you know who? LOL Sounds bad, doesn't it? Some would say, "Not moving there, guess we'll need extra insurance". Maybe ScranBarre isn't so bad. Maybe just call the whole mess Pittston.

A looong time ago, W-B was larger than Scranton. I remember my parents discussing it. Scranton annexed its townships; Wilkes-Barre didn't. Someone on another forum wondered why W-B, the township and the little surrounding one fire truck ville's just didn't combine and make one grand city. I understand their reluctance, but it may happen sooner or later.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:14 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
That would work. Then neither W-B or Scranton would be 3rd class cities by size and we'd be right up there at the top of the list. We'd have to rename the place. How about Floodtown after you know who? LOL Sounds bad, doesn't it? Some would say, "Not moving there, guess we'll need extra insurance". Maybe ScranBarre isn't so bad. Maybe just call the whole mess Pittston.

A looong time ago, W-B was larger than Scranton. I remember my parents discussing it. Scranton annexed its townships; Wilkes-Barre didn't. Someone on another forum wondered why W-B, the township and the little surrounding one fire truck ville's just didn't combine and make one grand city. I understand their reluctance, but it may happen sooner or later.
I wouldn't hold my breath over it. Too much legalesse and money.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
Someone on another forum wondered why W-B, the township and the little surrounding one fire truck ville's just didn't combine and make one grand city. I understand their reluctance, but it may happen sooner or later.
What's with all the "townships" up there?? We were loading addresses in our GPS, & almost everything had the choice of ______ or ______township!!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
What's with all the "townships" up there?? We were loading addresses in our GPS, & almost everything had the choice of ______ or ______township!!
The sad part is they all run togeter and are just switching over to street address instead of RR #, PO Box #.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania