Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 02:45 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,245 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, i am travelling to nepa area this tuesday and will be focusing on the swb metro area. it will be day trip, ill go in the morning, travel around in the afternoon and evening and go home at night. I am interested in anything,
a) restaurants (any local favs and any good ethnic rests. thai, viet, cuban, etc)
b) historical buildings, museums, boring stuff that has those blue & yellow pa history plaques. (wyoming valley massacre, frances slocum park)
c) coal miners / anthracite museums - what should i see
d) any state parks that are must see, what is the archibald pothole? (ive already been to rickets, worlds end, hickory)
e) any cool architecture (whats the oldest building or church in each town)

basically if i was only going to go there once and had to see the top 3 or 4 or 5 things scrantonWB has to offer, what would they be. thanks for your time and help everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 PM

22 posts, read 90,007 times
Hi openless, if you search Scranton Wilkes Barre, you'll most likely find enough info to keep you reading all night. One of the "resident" posters has pics from the area and I remember a post not to long ago talking about all those things you were asking about.

Good Luck and enjoy your visit!

Old 04-29-2007, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 15,941 times
Openless, I thought you might be interested in one of these places; The coal mine tour in Scranton, a restaurant called Kato in Scranton, and a favorite of mine is Eckleys Miner Village in Freeland. The Archibald pothole is from a glacier that melted and formed a big hole in the ground. Really not worth seeing they don't really take care of it. Boulder Field at Hickory Run State Park is worth seeing. It's a nice park. Good Luck and I hope you have a good time!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:31 AM

28 posts, read 103,048 times
The Coal Mine Tour is a must see.... and the museum attached. My grampa is in there 3 times.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM

28 posts, read 103,048 times
LOL... I forgot about this one - it's seriously hokey, but, everyone I ever took there loved it...

In the Gertrude Hawk factory up in Dunmore - there is a model of the Wyoming Valley - set to trains - it features some historic events all set to rail roads. The guy adds onto it all the time.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAgainInWestPittston View Post
LOL... I forgot about this one - it's seriously hokey, but, everyone I ever took there loved it...

In the Gertrude Hawk factory up in Dunmore - there is a model of the Wyoming Valley - set to trains - it features some historic events all set to rail roads. The guy adds onto it all the time.
Of course, you'll have to go to Gertrude's and get a chocolate train first!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,515 times
Default I want some of that chocolate too!

I saw the store at the near the Viewmont Mall. Now you convinced me to go in and get some candy.
There is so much beauty here in this area of NEPA. I live in the Endless Mountains area north of Scranton. I am very excited about this area and like what we have seen so far. We have been here for almost 3 months now and are loving it!

Old 04-30-2007, 08:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Hope I'm not jumping in here too late, my friend! I've been a bit distracted lately with this stressful schedule of nearly 40-hour work weeks and Finals! Be advised that Scranton is the only "smoke-free" city in PA besides Philadelphia, so be careful where you light up (if you're a smoker).

A.) Some favorite city haunts include:
Cooper's Seafood House, 701 North Washington Avenue (Seafood)
Brixx, 130 North Washington Avenue (American)
The Banshee, 322 Penn Avenue (Authentic Irish Pub)
Coney Island Lunch, 515 Lackawanna Avenue (Texas Weiners)
Chick's Diner, 1032 Moosic Street (Diner)
Glider Diner, 890 Providence Road (Diner)
Carmen's, 700 Lackawanna Avenue (Upscale Hotel Eatery)
Trolley's Bistro, 100 Adams Avenue (Hotel Eatery)
Blues Street, 222 Wyoming Avenue (Blues Cafe)
Mansour's Grocery & Coffee House, 969 Prescott Avenue (Market)
Original Soup Man, 344 Adams Avenue (NYC Soup Chain)
Osaka, 244 Adams Avenue (Japanese)
House of China, 1137 Moosic Street (Chinese)
Thai Rak, 349 Adams Avenue (Thai)
Kelly's Pub & Eatery, 1802 Cedar Avenue (American)
La Trattoria, 522 Moosic Street (Italian)
Ipanema Grill, 1911 North Main Avenue (Brazilian)
Stadium Club, 235 Montage Mountain Road (Stadium Eatery)
About Thyme Cafe, 116 North Washington Avenue (Mediterranean)
Mother's Table, 117 Penn Avenue (American)
Vida Tapas Bar & Grille, 116 North Washington Avenue (Tapas)
Northern Lights Espresso Bar, 536 Spruce Street (Coffee House)
Center Street Coffee House, 515 Center Street (Coffee House)
Starbucks, Mall at Steamtown (Coffee House)
Starbucks, Hilton Hotel (Coffee House)
Buona Pizza, 504 Lackawanna Avenue (Pizzeria)
Molly Brannigan's, 101 Adams Avenue (Irish Pub Chain)
Cafe Beignet, 801 North Washington Avenue (French)
Sambuca Grille, 234 Penn Avenue (American)
Martini, 414 Spruce Street (American)
Many, Many More!

Since I'm now tired, I'll just answer your direct question for a good day-trip. Be sure to check out the Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour at McDade Park. Also try dining at any one of those places I mentioned for lunch and/or dinner. See the waterfall at Nay Aug Park, an urban oasis. See some art at the Everhart Museum. Check out the Electric City Trolley Museum, PA Anthracite Heritage Museum, Steamtown National Historic Site, Houdini Museum...hell..I give up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania