Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Someone on another forum wondered why W-B, the township and the little surrounding one fire truck ville's just didn't combine and make one grand city. I understand their reluctance, but it may happen sooner or later.

It will never happen, since the city has a higher wage tax....W-B Twp. residents pay 1.5% and W-B City residents pay 3.0%....W-B Twp residents and officials would never let it happen....plus, W-B Twp. has the arena, the mall, and all the stores around there...no way they would want to share that tax revenue with all of W-B City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 PM

904 posts, read 2,056,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
A looong time ago, W-B was larger than Scranton. I remember my parents discussing it. Scranton annexed its townships; Wilkes-Barre didn't.
Curious, you know when they were talking about? The historical population figures on Wikipedia show Scranton as always being considerably bigger as far back as 1860 when they were both quite small (9k and 4k). I don't think these census figures reflect any future annexations (e.g. see NYC and Brooklyn).
Scranton, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm all for one big city in the whole valley, but towns will never agree on taxes and services. Unless other towns are ready to pay anything near Scranton's 3.5% wage tax.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 24,973 times
Wheelingman:
I was reared in a county north of Scranton but have lived in Lackawanna Co for 17 years.

In general, I think you could probably find whatever you wanted here. I personally wouldn't live in Scranton, but if you like city living, Dunmore is a nice community that runs into Scranton. It's very heavily Italian, which could be good or bad.

If you prefer a very rural place to live, you might choose the Moscow area (North Pocono School District), Scott Township, or Newton Ransom.

If you like an area with small town charm and all of the amenities, you might want to look at the Clarks Summit area. It has one of the better school districts in the area. It's known for being uppity, and it might be; however, you can find nice people there, too.

Along the valley from Carbondale to below Wilkes-Barre are many communities to choose from. They all kind of run together without any space between then. Each has its own character, and many of them were originally the homes of coal-mining families.

The area has a real struggle with a Vibe of Doom owing to its sad history of oppression under coal barons, the passing of the era of coal, decades of political corruption, and, I think, fierce divisions along lines of nationality (Italian, Polish, Irish, etc.). While the heritage of these groups brings an exciting diversity to the area (it's a great place to find authentic Old World food), it also tends to foster a mentality that doesn't always welcome positive change. (And I'm a political and cultural conservative.) The area is also very heavily Roman Catholic.

We've experienced an explosion of commercial development w/in the past decade and have many of the major chain stores and restaurants in our area, including Krispy Kreme, Starbucks, Longhorn, Damons, TGIF, Perkins, Friendlys, Waffle House, Applebees, Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, Ritas, and on and on.

Here are the positives and negatives of our area, as I see them:

Positive
-Beautiful rolling hills
-Four seasons
-Many conveniences fairly close together
-Low crime
-Recreational areas: skiing, kayaking, hunting, hiking
-Over a dozen colleges and universities
-Within hours of Philadelphia, NYC, Finger Lakes Region of NY, Jersey shore, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Gettysburg
-Manageable feeling to the area
-Real ethnic cultures and foods; pizza, Polkas, pierogies, St. Patrick's Day parade, Russian Christmas, The Greek Festival, La Festa Italiana, The Tomato Festival
-The whole "Office" thing
-Some beautiful architecture
-Great shopping districts
-The people here generally have grit and character
-Baseball Stadium; Nay Aug water slides and park; Steamtown National Park and Trolley Museum
-Wonderful summer area
-The tacky Christmas house on Moosic Avenue
-Great talk radio and public radio stations
-Pinball Alley on Rt 81 from Scranton Expwy to Dunmore

Negatives
-Not great schools generally
-Some backwardness
-The Vibe of Doom ("It will never work here.") and kind of an inferiority complex
-Long winters
-Not much to do in the way of museums, attractions, though communities generally have their various celebrations and fairs throughout the year
-If you come into the area from any direction, you realize that the area seems sort of a outpost with real spooky stuff coming up on Rt 81 N from around Minersburg to Hazleton; sort of a Bermuda Triangle of fog and ice and eerie co-gen plants.
-The decrepit condition of the Nay Aug Zoo area
-Ubiquitous teacher's union strikes

That's what I think anyway.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 24,973 times
Sorry. Pinball Alley should go under negatives.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:37 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,794,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
What's with all the "townships" up there?? We were loading addresses in our GPS, & almost everything had the choice of ______ or ______township!!
Remember the Holy Roman Empire from the history books? Those people moved to PA and re-created it.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 AM

11 posts, read 25,257 times
Well Wilkes-Barre is semi-historic,after the '72 Agnus flood many historic buildings were destroyed an more moderen buildings are still being built.The public transportation runs Mondays-Saturdays from 6:00 A.M-6:30 P.M.The Intermodal Transportation Center now holdes it.There are several Aptment complexes in Wilkes-Barre.The mayor is very lousy.This City is some-what deppresing.
While Scranton seems to be very historical,there are many modern toches to this city,such as The Steamtown Mall,where you can watch the electric city museum's trollies and trains move around.Scranton has also been strongly reoumed to have been the first city to have electric trollies,hence the nickname "The Electric City".The city's public transportation is now fully desiel buses,the run times are 6:00 A.M-7:00 P.M Monday-Saturday.There is also two night buses,request stop only,the north circle,and the south circle.This town is more lively than Wilkes-Barre.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Whats in the Valley?
Corruption, an up and growing drug problem, a narrow minded mentality that some how the Valley is the only place on earth, Party hardliners control Luzern county and it is as corrupt as any area can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania