Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,664,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Oh stop it already! So many of you post incessantly month after month simply to point out the many, many flaws in the Electric City, but not ONE of you has offered ANY solutions besides "get rid of the mayor." Besides that concept that may not come to fruition until the end of 2009, what can be done in the interim to resolve these ailments so that I won't have to read "Scranton sucks" time after time on this forum until the cows come home. We all know that Scranton has a good deal of "issues" (I'll use a euphemism there). Why don't we start trying to brainstorm ways of FIXING them instead of just crying about them?! We, the people, can do things to help improve our own situations WITHOUT relying upon a flawed government, can we not?
Paul, when I see Dan, who gets involved in his neighborhood and is president of his neighborhood association, try to get things done for his neighbors and can't because he hits a wall every time. Why? Because this administration always turns a blind eye to it's citizens. It doesn't give one very much hope to try to do anything for this city, if they can't help us with basic things. I mean, how many times does Dan have to ask for a flood siren?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,783,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Oh stop it already! So many of you post incessantly month after month simply to point out the many, many flaws in the Electric City, but not ONE of you has offered ANY solutions besides "get rid of the mayor." Besides that concept that may not come to fruition until the end of 2009, what can be done in the interim to resolve these ailments so that I won't have to read "Scranton sucks" time after time on this forum until the cows come home. We all know that Scranton has a good deal of "issues" (I'll use a euphemism there). Why don't we start trying to brainstorm ways of FIXING them instead of just crying about them?! We, the people, can do things to help improve our own situations WITHOUT relying upon a flawed government, can we not?

How do you suggest we improve it? Don't say clean up and have block parties, i don't see that as a solution. People of Scranton voted them in, i guess we have to vote them out.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 AM

904 posts, read 2,057,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Yeah, so he has no idea what is currently going on in this city, unlike you, myself and Dan who actually live here.
I live here and think he's right.

You're probably right, too, that things are getting worse here, but I believe it's still way safer than other comparable locales. (I still lock my doors, of course.)

I know you guys are frustrated with the current administration, but I really think that's clouding your view.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,105,435 times
Blip what does it mean that this place is safer then comparable locals? What do other locals have to do with crime and public safety in Scranton?

No your right don't worry about the stabbings in Scranton or the robberies and assaults because they don't happen as often as the other comparable locals, right?

We don't live in those other locals, we live in Scranton and the crime in those locals has NO BEARING on Scranton, other then being an excuse to say look Scranton isn't as bad as York or Philly so don't worry about it...

The crime in Scranton is becoming increasingly violent in nature and it is occuring much more often then it has in the past and BASED ON SCRANTON it is getting worse and the streets are losing that safe small town feeling that we have all grown to love and appreciate...In 15 years I have never had to worry about or see an increase of this nature.

Please do not compare the crime in this city to other cities unless we all have dual residences in each city they do not apply and are just an excuse to try and down play what is going on here in Scranton.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:27 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,991,407 times
Well, i pay taxes in Scranton, and I pay taxes here in FLA. There is a murder here once a month and stabbings all the time. One Stabbing is one too many, don't get me wrong. I just find it absurd to try and make it sound like you live in some mini Beruit where you can't walk down the street without avoiding attackers.

WE all get it, you hate the Admin, you think the City ois going to hell, Crime is awful. We all know where you stand. I am not "playing down" anything. Crime is crime and it isd bad no matter how often it occurs. My point, is that Scranton is a safe place to live.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Well, i pay taxes in Scranton, and I pay taxes here in FLA. There is a murder here once a month and stabbings all the time. One Stabbing is one too many, don't get me wrong. I just find it absurd to try and make it sound like you live in some mini Beruit where you can't walk down the street without avoiding attackers.

WE all get it, you hate the Admin, you think the City ois going to hell, Crime is awful. We all know where you stand. I am not "playing down" anything. Crime is crime and it isd bad no matter how often it occurs. My point, is that Scranton is a safe place to live.
Really you think so? When was the last time that lived in Scranton? Have you seen the recent stabbings and robberies at knife point in the city?

People being followed by cars and then held up at their doors? Nice right....

How do you pay taxes in Scranton? Or does your family pay those taxes on some property they own while they live in Clarks Summit?

AGAIN this is not FL and comparing Scranton to anywhere else is just an excuse to down play the increase in violent crime in the city.

When you lived at Da U did you worry about people kicking the door in and running in with shotguns to hold you up and steal your belongings?

I didn't and I lived on North Irving during the height of the Hill sections worst days, when you were probably still in HS and we never locked our doors back then and we never had any problems with crime while I lived there...but now thats a diiferent story since they have started to assault and rob the U students.....

Don't believe me then maybe you should get some updated reports from Da U on the crime up there and maybe HighHat will fill you in a little on what its like up there now.

You have no idea, you visit what maybe twice or three times a year and get second hand info from Clarks Summit so I don't think that your knowledge of the current state of the city holds much water IMHO.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Blip what does it mean that this place is safer then comparable locals? What do other locals have to do with crime and public safety in Scranton?

No your right don't worry about the stabbings in Scranton or the robberies and assaults because they don't happen as often as the other comparable locals, right?
I don't recall saying that. (Edit: clarity for weluvpa's sake: I don't recall saying "don't worry about the stabbings")

Quote:
We don't live in those other locals, we live in Scranton and the crime in those locals has NO BEARING on Scranton, other then being an excuse to say look Scranton isn't as bad as York or Philly so don't worry about it...

The crime in Scranton is becoming increasingly violent in nature and it is occuring much more often then it has in the past and BASED ON SCRANTON it is getting worse and the streets are losing that safe small town feeling that we have all grown to love and appreciate...In 15 years I have never had to worry about or see an increase of this nature.

Please do not compare the crime in this city to other cities unless we all have dual residences in each city they do not apply and are just an excuse to try and down play what is going on here in Scranton.
You just made my point--you refuse to see the woods for the trees.

I don't have an overly rosy view of this city, and I am concerned about the increase in violence. But I choose to keep a broader perspective, and can compare it to whatever I want. If you refuse to compare it to other places or to see the regional/national economic affects on the city, you're the one with your head in the sand. Or up Dougherty's arse.

This is an article in the frickin' WALL STREET JOURNAL we're talking about, not a local documentary on the history of Scranton. Of course it makes sense to speak in terms relative to other towns.

I'm sure Scranton 15 years ago was a wonderful place, though.

Last edited by blip; 10-30-2008 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-30-2008, 08:48 AM

U of S notes three crimes near campus

Published: Thursday, October 30, 2008
Updated: Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:33 AM EDT

SCRANTON University of Scranton police public safety officials reported Wednesday three incidents of crime on or near campus last weekend.

On Saturday, two students were assaulted by a group of five or six males and a female just after leaving City Slice restaurant at Mulberry Street and North Webster Avenue around 1:35 a.m., police said.

Also Saturday, a student in the 400 block of Clay Avenue reported the theft of two laptop computers from her off-campus residence and the appearance of a break-in.

A laptop and camera were stolen Friday from students living in an off-campus residence in the 400 block of Taylor Ave. police said.

Scranton man charged in domestic incident

SCRANTON Police charged a city man with harassment and simple assault early Wednesday.

Joseph Ree, 37, of 1005 Quincy Ave., Apt. 6, was arrested at about 3:30 a.m. after a fight with his girlfriend, according to Scranton police.

Mr. Ree is accused of striking Cynthia Seamon, 48, of Scranton, in the head, police said.

He was arraigned in Magisterial District Judge Alyce Hailstone Farrells court. Bail was set at $5,000.

Police arrest Scranton man for alleged assault

SCRANTON A 19-year-old Scranton man was arrested for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend Wednesday morning.

Franklin Winstead of 910 Prescott Ave. was charged with simple assault and harassment. Police say he threw Nicole Johns, 18, of Scranton, to the ground, into a window sill and into an entertainment center Wednesday at about 2:35 a.m.

Ms. Johns suffered cuts above her eye and on her elbow. She was treated at Moses Taylor Hospital, police said. He was arraigned in Magisterial District Judge Alyce Hailstone Farrells court.

Bail was set at $5,000.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
but I believe it's still way safer than other comparable locales.
?????????

Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
your right don't worry about the stabbings in Scranton or the robberies and assaults
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania