Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:10 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,656,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
A stadium in the downtown is not the answer. Bulldozing a neighborhood for it is not the answer........There is no large vacant tract behind Steamtown Paul. They are refering to the area around the Southside Complex.......
Wrong, there is a section of land behind and below Steamtown, accessible from Cliff St., that is/was being considered. It belongs to one of the utility companies, UGI maybe?

{ADD}

Quote:
The former UGI property behind the Electric City Trolley Museum has 40 acres that would be suitable for a stadium or perhaps a stadium and museum, Mr. Doherty said.

A new stadium on that property also would be next to the planned intermodal center, a transit hub to be built on Lackawanna Avenue next to the state office building.
http://scrantontimes.com/articles/2008/09/09/news/sc_times_trib.20080909.a.pg1.tt09location_s1.18933 21_top4.txt (broken link)

I really don't know if a discussion on the stadium belongs here anyway, this is sort of off-topic. Consider reviving the stadium thread if this is going to be discussed further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:17 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,136,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
..and I'm done arguing with someone who has been so brainwashed by Joseph Pilchesky/Lech Walesa into thinking that Scranton is inevitably sinking into the deep abyss like the Lusitania.
First off you are way off base. I have lived in Scranton for 15 years....You were what 6 when I moved here. You live in your moms basement, your 21, you have never lived on your own, nor have you had to support a family. You have no idea what your talking about but you are good at regurgitating facts from the net with no real world knowledge or life experience to add any crediblity to your stances. Basically your a kid that thinks he knows what is good and not good for the residents of a city that you can't even bring yourself to move to and support.

As far as Joe is concerned, we disagree on more things then we agree on but thats ok with me and its ok with him.....I'm not alone here Paul, there are many that feel the direction that the city is going is not good. What are you pissed about being banned????? You just don't like the fact that some of us don't buy into your inflated rose colored ideas. I bet there would be more if they knew that you still live in moms basement and eat their groceries and use their heat, electric, water, sewer, and all the amenities while in the real world adults actually have to think about where and how they are going to pay their heating bills this winter and the increasing costs of owning a property and maintaining a home for your family. You need to grow up and move out, then and maybe then you'll have seen the reality of what the world is like outside of the SAFETY and COMFORT of a spolied life at moms.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:23 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,888,956 times
To try to bring all of this "high falootin'" culture to Scranton is really putting lipstick on a pig. This isn't a snobby wine-and-cheese elitist area (and I like it that way...give me a hot dog and a beer at a baseball game over the opera or a poetry reading anyday)....the proof is that the only way they lure people to the Everhart Museum is to have a "happy hour" there with booze. We need more realistic family-type events that will actaully provide something for just regular people and families with kids, rather than these artsy nights that nobody cares about anyways.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:39 AM

904 posts, read 2,063,775 times
Quote:
Blip is a GODSEND! She's managing to....
I liked the direction this thread was going!

Until my sex-change surgery.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:31 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,479,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
I liked the direction this thread was going!

Until my sex-change surgery.
Nice to meetcha Mr. blip!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 03:03 PM

904 posts, read 2,063,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Nice to meetcha Mr. blip!!!
Good to meet you, Mr. Jungle George, I presume.

I guess I need a little more macho in my message-board mojo..

Old 10-03-2008, 07:15 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,687,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I can't blame anyone for wanting to relocate out of the city to the "burbs".

The wage is probably part of the reason that people want to move out of Scranton. Throw the tax increase, and more to come, police and fire cuts, record budgets with yearly borrowing to plug the holes, increased VIOLENT crime and petty crime across the city with really no end in sight. The downtown is a ghost town with NO reason, other then a coffee shop, to go there on the weekends. The streets are crumbling and generally the city is in terrible shape.

Sure Nay Aug looks better and we have the over priced treehouse and the $1,200,000 bridge to nowhere and don't forget the most expensive dog park in the nation.....OOOHHHH wait Starbucks.....

Why should these people stay again?
You summed up everything I was thinking. There is no reason for anyone to want to come here and every reason for them to leave. It's a sinking ship and every man for himself.

Did we really need all those statistics and property transactions? My eyes were going blurry trying to read them and then I eventually stopped and didn't care anyway. Paul, a little editing would be nice.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
If the Yankees demand a new stadium in the coming years I'd also like to propose that the stadium be built on blighted land somewhere near downtown. People who currently hit up Johnny Rocket's, Ruby Tuesday, Kildare's, and other chain restaurants up on Montage Mountain before the games could hit up Alfredo's, Brixx, The Banshee, Molly Brannigan's, Coney Island, Vidas Tapas Bar, Faccia Luna, and other mom-and-pop downtown area venues instead, helping to boost their bottom lines. Downtown merchants could stay open a few hours later on game nights to entice people strolling between the stadium and restaurants/pubs to drop in and possibly buy some of their wares.

It's not that far-fetched of an idea. A recent article in the newspaper pointed to a large vacant tract of land somewhere roughly behind Steamtown, which would put the stadium in walking distance to baseball fans in West Side as well. I'm certain there is enough blighted land in Pinebrook as well to accommodate a stadium. Instead of a massive paved parking lot surrounding it though it would be better to have a garage attached to it to minimize the structure's footprint.

I think Scrantonluna supports it, and I'm sure if the Iron Pigs ever played at that downtown stadium, Go Phillies would stroll on over from his home on West Side to cheer on his believed Phils. Scranton could benefit from that foot traffic more than the base of Montage Mountain could. I never understood why the Wachovia Arena could not have been built at the base of Coal Street in Downtown Wilkes-Barre either. Both cities would be a bit more vibrant now if they both had these very popular venues in their cores instead of on the far outskirts.
Putting a stadium in Scranton is not the answer. There would be more traffic and congestion from people coming outside of the city and it would be a nightmare. And like Dan said, who is going to foot the bill? The taxpayers again? We can't handle any more debt. And just because they build it here it doesn't mean more people will come. The attendance may actually be less than it is now because a lot of people don't like driving into Scranton unless they have too. Bad idea.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:40 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,656,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post

Did we really need all those statistics and property transactions? My eyes were going blurry trying to read them and then I eventually stopped and didn't care anyway. Paul, a little editing would be nice.

Some of us DO appreciate statistics. I don't even want to think how long it must have taken Paul to put all of that together, but I am grateful that he did.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Some of us DO appreciate statistics. I don't even want to think how long it must have taken Paul to put all of that together, but I am grateful that he did.
We needed all of those transactions? A few would of gotten the point across. A lot of time spent, I don't have that much time. I'm not saying anything against Paul, I like him, but this is a bit of overkill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania