Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pennsylvania: real estate, market, sell our house, mortgage, realtor.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:11 PM

159 posts, read 694,803 times

Advertisements

I am looking to sell our house in Dingmans ASAP. This is a nice place to live, but not for me- I need to get back down south before I lose my mind!! Not to mention, all our family is down there.

I know the market is dead all over, but how bad is it here? Anything selling?

Last edited by kwiktsi; 11-15-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 AM

173 posts, read 584,232 times
I did a job for a real estate agent a few months ago and she said it was really slow. I guess some things are buying and selling, but its hit or miss. You really need to bring the buyer in with a deal they can't say no to. Either like home warranty, or selling it below its appraised value, or even offering to pay closing costs or something along those lines.

I dont know what you owe on the house and how much room you have to play with price. Just remember if you bought the house a year or two ago with little or nothing down... chances are its worth less now then it was then. Go to an agent and tell them that you want it sold ASAP, they can work out a plan. Most people dont sell right away because they are looking to make money. If your main priority is to just get out, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocopc View Post
I did a job for a real estate agent a few months ago and she said it was really slow. I guess some things are buying and selling, but its hit or miss. You really need to bring the buyer in with a deal they can't say no to. Either like home warranty, or selling it below its appraised value, or even offering to pay closing costs or something along those lines.

I dont know what you owe on the house and how much room you have to play with price. Just remember if you bought the house a year or two ago with little or nothing down... chances are its worth less now then it was then. Go to an agent and tell them that you want it sold ASAP, they can work out a plan. Most people dont sell right away because they are looking to make money. If your main priority is to just get out, then you shouldn't have a problem.
We paid $199k for it 3 years ago and it appraised at $248k the following year, so I'm hoping it is still worth what we paid at least. I'm just glad we didn't refi when it was re-appraised! Also, I have since remodeled both bathrooms, did tile counter tops and floor in the kitchen and laminate in the dining room, new fridge and dishwasher, new $2000 washer and dryer, ran a dedicated 60A 220 service to the garage with sub panel (they had 10a 110 going there before!), etc. and am currently in the process of finishing off the basement, which is an above ground walk out basement, so I was told it will count towards square footage once completed. We also put up a 7x10 Rubbermaid shed for storing the yard stuff.

We were going to leave all appliances, AC unit (window), Reddy Heat forced air Kerosene heater for using in the garage, air compressor in the garage, lawnmower (new lawnboy), leaf blowers, chainsaws, etc. for yard maintenance and were considering leaving our 98 GMC Jimmy 4WD with the house as well, as a "bonus". It's in very good condition and figure the new owners could use it as a winter beater and/or for garbage runs. You have to take your trash to the dumpster in Conashaugh like you live in a damn apartment, so that is really all we've been keeping it for. That, or running the dogs to the Vet or something.

I'd like to think we could at least break even or make a few bucks over what we paid, we'll see. Thanks for the input.
Joe

Old 11-16-2008, 12:10 PM

513 posts, read 1,083,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
We paid $199k for it 3 years ago and it appraised at $248k the following year, so I'm hoping it is still worth what we paid at least. I'm just glad we didn't refi when it was re-appraised! Also, I have since remodeled both bathrooms, did tile counter tops and floor in the kitchen and laminate in the dining room, new fridge and dishwasher, new $2000 washer and dryer, ran a dedicated 60A 220 service to the garage with sub panel (they had 10a 110 going there before!), etc. and am currently in the process of finishing off the basement, which is an above ground walk out basement, so I was told it will count towards square footage once completed. We also put up a 7x10 Rubbermaid shed for storing the yard stuff.

We were going to leave all appliances, AC unit (window), Reddy Heat forced air Kerosene heater for using in the garage, air compressor in the garage, lawnmower (new lawnboy), leaf blowers, chainsaws, etc. for yard maintenance and were considering leaving our 98 GMC Jimmy 4WD with the house as well, as a "bonus". It's in very good condition and figure the new owners could use it as a winter beater and/or for garbage runs. You have to take your trash to the dumpster in Conashaugh like you live in a damn apartment, so that is really all we've been keeping it for. That, or running the dogs to the Vet or something.

I'd like to think we could at least break even or make a few bucks over what we paid, we'll see. Thanks for the input.
Joe
The finishing of the basement, and the remodeled kitchen might bring 60% to 80% of their cost in a good market. I'd expect less now.
Unfortunately, there will be little to no realizable resale value in any of the other things you cite. At best the other inclusions might make your property more attractive than a similar property without those inclusions. $2000 washer and dryer? You can pick up a used set in good condition or 1/10 of that, or less. Sell the vehicle outright, it will bring no more in resale value and including it on any real estate contract will raise a red flag with a buyer's mortgage provider.
Good luck!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
The finishing of the basement, and the remodeled kitchen might bring 60% to 80% of their cost in a good market. I'd expect less now.
Unfortunately, there will be little to no realizable resale value in any of the other things you cite. At best the other inclusions might make your property more attractive than a similar property without those inclusions. $2000 washer and dryer? You can pick up a used set in good condition or 1/10 of that, or less. Sell the vehicle outright, it will bring no more in resale value and including it on any real estate contract will raise a red flag with a buyer's mortgage provider.
Good luck!
We were just leaving those items here for the appeal more than anything, not for the dollar value. The vehicle, I'll just sign over to the buyer, it doesn't have to go on the contract. If they have no interest, then I'll just sell it, but for the $1500-2000 I'd get for it, it's not worth the hassle if it attracts a buyer for the house. As for the upgrades, I did the labor myself, so I only paid a fraction of the cost over paying someone to do it.

Yes, $2000 for the washer and dryer- 1) we don't buy used appliances, this isn't a thrift shop and two, my wife wanted this set since since the dryer has a drying cabinet, so we got it. I agree, we could have gotten other stuff for much less, even new- but she wanted this set, so we got it. Or were you saying to buy a used set to leave with the house and keep this set for ourselves? Pretty much all of the houses we are looking at (of course, out of PA) have new, modern appliances already that are comparable to these. I'm hoping it will sweeten the deal to leave them here. I know if it was a Dingmans area native, they'd be content with a washboard and clothes line , but I'm hoping someone from NY or NJ will appreciate it .

Last edited by kwiktsi; 11-16-2008 at 01:02 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 01:13 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,785,203 times
My house is for sale for 2 years and 3 months now. I have a bonus to the selling realtor as well as a closing costs bonus to the buyer....I've had about 10 lookers in over 2 years. Real depressing....I need to get on to the next stage of my life!

Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
My house is for sale for 2 years and 3 months now. I have a bonus to the selling realtor as well as a closing costs bonus to the buyer....I've had about 10 lookers in over 2 years. Real depressing....I need to get on to the next stage of my life!
Ugh, that doesn't sound too promising . Where is your house located?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 PM

513 posts, read 1,083,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
We were just leaving those items here for the appeal more than anything, not for the dollar value. The vehicle, I'll just sign over to the buyer, it doesn't have to go on the contract. If they have no interest, then I'll just sell it, but for the $1500-2000 I'd get for it, it's not worth the hassle if it attracts a buyer for the house. As for the upgrades, I did the labor myself, so I only paid a fraction of the cost over paying someone to do it.

Yes, $2000 for the washer and dryer- 1) we don't buy used appliances, this isn't a thrift shop and two, my wife wanted this set since since the dryer has a drying cabinet, so we got it. I agree, we could have gotten other stuff for much less, even new- but she wanted this set, so we got it. Or were you saying to buy a used set to leave with the house and keep this set for ourselves? Pretty much all of the houses we are looking at (of course, out of PA) have new, modern appliances already that are comparable to these. I'm hoping it will sweeten the deal to leave them here. I know if it was a Dingmans area native, they'd be content with a washboard and clothes line , but I'm hoping someone from NY or NJ will appreciate it .
We were just leaving those items here for the appeal more than anything, not for the dollar value
Then you have a realistic view, which is all I provided. Not sure what prompts the comments on why you bought the washer and dryer, or the thrift shop comment either. You have no more need to defend the decision to buy them than you do to make a offhand slur against someone who would have different priorities via the thrift shop comment. Thankfully, I don't have to shop at thrift shops, but I bought a 1 year old Maytag stackable front loading washer/dryer that retails for $1200 for $600 off someone who was moving. I hope you are always fortunate enough to be able to pay a premium for what you want as opposed to market rate for what you need.
As far as the "places out of PA" where all the homes for sale have comparable appliances, there are areas in PA, NY, NJ where that is true, and areas in all 3 states where it is not. You can't expect the standards that get set in an area of one set of economic conditions to hold true in an area of different conditions. NEPA does not have all of the other factors, costs and priorities that would contribute to every one having $2000 washer/dryers when (as you acknowledged) a brand new $500 set does the same thing (just like a gently used $600 set does).
Good luck with your sale, and I hope you enjoy living where ever you end up. I'm not being sarcastic, I mean what I say.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 PM

Sorry, I was just joking around, not trying to offend anyone. Though, most here live much more "simple" than I ever could. Sorry, just raised a bit differently and it's just how I am. I'm far from rich, but I certainly personally wouldn't buy very much used aside from the occasional used car- and even that is rare and usually only when I need a beater for something.

As you can tell though, this place has left a sour taste in my mouth- so yes, I am kind of bitter towards most here. Just hasn't been the most pleasurable experience for me. Maybe I'm materialistic, I don't know, but I can't live this kind of "simple" life. I'm apparently way too arrogant for that lol. I have friends and family who won't even come out here to visit and tell me I have to "move out of Pennsyltucky" almost every time we talk . Just not for me, sorry- don't mean to offend.

As for places of differing economic conditions- our realtor led us to believe that this was a fast growing, prosperous area and that there were a lot of "upper middle class" (I HATE to break things into "class", just using her terms) here. Apparently upper middle class in her terms (a Dingmans native..) means something different than the rest of the country. Hell, I have had my Vette and Porsche referred to a "big fancy cars" by more than a few people here- WTF?? Like I said- sorry, just not for me.

Last edited by kwiktsi; 11-16-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 PM

936 posts, read 2,403,963 times
omg....I dont know where your living but it sounds like your with the Beverly Hillbillies!! Come on that cant be the case. I live in NEPA and donot find anybody here like your describing. If thats the way you really feel than you really do need to move. I think that your friends are putting down something they no nothing about. I think it kind of reminds me of ignorance at its best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania