Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real Estate: Scranton, mls, single family homes, cost of living, crime.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,695,048 times

Advertisements

Well I'm sure weluvpa (Dan) will be thrilled to see this thread. It has been only a couple of months since I last checked the city-wide MLS listings on the Greater Scranton Board of Realtors web site, but since then the number of listings for single-family properties in the city has swelled to a staggering 317, which is up by roughly 1/3 since earlier in the season.

I honestly have no explanation as to what has caused a sudden spike in the number of people putting their homes on the market in the Electric City. Lackawanna County in its entirety had 1,084 single-family homes on the market via the MLS as of this evening, and I believe that figure is likewise up. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,992,101 times
Are you under a rock?!?!? No explanation? Look at the ecomomy, the job market, taxes, gas, food......The whole Country is in a slump and is hurting. look around!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,687,329 times
Homes are not selling well anywhere. You can see that when checking in the real estate threads, or city threads.
Your area was doing good..........so if it is not now, yes.........things are getting worse. Economy, Economy........ditto the above. Not good ...

Old 08-25-2008, 07:00 PM

after reading my reply i noticed there was a tinge of harshness....Scran is usually very nice to everyone so i apologize for that....However, America's economy is in a bad space right now. I just made my way back from a biz trip to 4 major cities and let me tell you, everyone i talked to had somethign to say about hte failing economy. Homes foreclosing everywhere, tons of homes on the market and no selling, crime way up, drugs proliferating throughout the community. It is the product of agenda driven politicians running the country....parallel local gov't in NEPA.....That type of politics does not work.

I hope you are watching the convention.....we need a change...

Old 08-25-2008, 07:02 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,108,298 times
What gives???? Come on Paul really.

The taxes are up 25%
Public safety is, well it doesn't exist
Wage tax 3.4% 2nd highest in the state
School board is a mess with more school tax increases on the horizon

The city itself is being left to crumble around a few of the mayors pet projects and there seriuous issues with rentel properties through out the city. 100% of the admin attention is being put on Nay Aug and downtown while nothing is being done to insure that the neighborhoods are safe.

The police dept is being cut to nothing and so is the fire dept and what do you expect Paul?

You don't live here and you have no idea how hard it can be on families in the city when everything is going up. Gas, water, sewer, electric, oil its all climbing and while the people are trying to figure out how to pay for it the city is burying the residents under a mountain of debt.

The gov't of Scranton does not care about its residents nor does it care about the city as a whole and people are leaving for greener and safer pastures. I cannot and will not blame them for its getting harder and harder for people to stay here. How many more homes are listed as multi-family and how many more are for sale by owner?

I bet that the total homes for sale is over 600 in the city combined.

You will see at least 4 or 5 homes for sale in some neighborhoods on the same street. Your the only one that sees the city the way you do while the rest of us live in its reality.

The empty homes will continue to be purchased by out of town landlords and turned into rental units and that is never good for any city. A house just down the street from me that Lovinbloom looked at was just sold to out of town landlord and yesterday we had two college kids move in.....Nice right, well no one is going to pay $99,000 for a house that was flooded twice but someone from out of town did and they paid full price and in less then one week after closing it was rented.....

The city is dying and its dying from within and those that choose to turn a blind eye and pretend its not are either blind or just plain old sheeple.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
I hope you are watching the convention.....we need a change...

Every crony family in our city donated to Biden before the primary and now I know why......Clinton/Biden didn't happen did it? So its on to another crony.

We need a change is right but its not Obama/Biden thats for sure. I'm not sure that its McCain either but certainly no one that your voting for is a good change.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:06 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,666,647 times
No surprise to me. What incentive does Scranton have to offer to people to make them want to stay or move here? Dan did a good job of summarizing everything in his post. And it's not to persuade people not to come here, we're just pointing out the truth so people know what they're in for before they make the move here. Scranton is truly a dying city. No way around it.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:10 PM

NY the reason why certain people will argue with you is not your facts or the rationale of what you are saying, but rather your delivery.....By saying simply"Scranton is a dying city" is empty and vapid. OK, it is dying, we all get that, but people who are alive live there and are not moving and you are directly insulting them just as much as doherty is insulting them by saying it is vibrant.

I am not saying you are right or wroing, but rather when issueing your points, remember that everything is not linear, right or wrong, black and white.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:13 PM

i'm writing you in Dan....

Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 PM

I live here and by no means am I insulted....You live in Fl. and your family lives the Abingtons so please explain to me what it is exactly that ties you to Scranton other then family members working downtown and some property?

Except when you were at Da U how long have you lived in Scranton? Ohh wait you high tailed out after graduation for greener pastures.

THE CITY IS DYING AND THOSE IN CHARGE COULD CARE LESS, THEY ARE TOO BUSY KISSING UP TO BIDEN AND HILLARY TO CARE.

Thats not considered an insult its reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania