Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:38 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times

Advertisements

Dan for city council? I've heard rumors that you might get some write-in votes from Lower Green Ridge residents. I wonder how you'd be able to resist smacking Judy or Sherry around while you're sitting wedged between them? LOL!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 08-18-2007 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-19-2007, 07:00 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,101,492 times
Being wedged between them would indicate that they are going to be relected and we know that we are more likely to get the mayor relected before either one of those fools returns.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:12 AM

37 posts, read 94,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Let's say Janet becomes Mayor in 2009 and that the City Council stays the same, except for the vancany left by Janet. Would Janet as Mayor be able to get anything done with that City Council? Isn't she already the dissenting vote on most of the measures, so won't the rest keep on voting against anything she wants to do?
No. The only way to "restore the pride" in scranton is to get fatelli and fatnucci off council. While Mr. Courtright is anti-doherty, He sometime agrees with doherty which makes him a half and half on supporting him this november. Mr. mcghoff can forget a re-election. That is the only way to get everything back to normal.

So. In november, Voters may want to think twice on who they are voteing for. Keep in mind, The votes to establish the smokeing ban which destroyed bars/clubs, was voted 4-1. Fatnucci,Fatelli,Mcghoff and Courtright ALL voted for this motion. This motion was deemed ILLEGAL by Alleghany Circuit Court. The Alleghany Court handed down the issue and said that it was illegal to establish such a law in violation of the clean air act which goes on to state that restaurants bars and clubs and other public places shall not be subject to such a law. therefore, The law/motion was deemed unconstitutional.

The smokeing ban, is only ONE of the many issues that our council has voted on that has destroyed scrantons crediblity. Shall we go on with the 35 million bond? Or the 10 million dollar Loan? How about the Hiring of 35 appointees but the decrease in public safety?

You decide!

Old 08-19-2007, 04:16 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
Gatelli, Fanucci and McGoff's reputation is ruined beyond repair. Say what you will about the regular speakers at council meetings, but they have exposed the Doherty Three at face value. They have done nothing to better this city with their constant voting in favor of the mayor. This will be remembered come election time and these do nothings will be eliminated. This is what needs to be done. Now I'm not attacking these people personally. They all have families and people that love them. They just should not be in these positions and are hurting the city of Scranton. They say they're voting with their hearts, but it always seems to be 3-2 in favor of the mayor. So go figure.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
No. The only way to "restore the pride" in scranton is to get fatelli and fatnucci off council. While Mr. Courtright is anti-doherty, He sometime agrees with doherty which makes him a half and half on supporting him this november. Mr. mcghoff can forget a re-election. That is the only way to get everything back to normal.

So. In november, Voters may want to think twice on who they are voteing for. Keep in mind, The votes to establish the smokeing ban which destroyed bars/clubs, was voted 4-1. Fatnucci,Fatelli,Mcghoff and Courtright ALL voted for this motion. This motion was deemed ILLEGAL by Alleghany Circuit Court. The Alleghany Court handed down the issue and said that it was illegal to establish such a law in violation of the clean air act which goes on to state that restaurants bars and clubs and other public places shall not be subject to such a law. therefore, The law/motion was deemed unconstitutional.

The smokeing ban, is only ONE of the many issues that our council has voted on that has destroyed scrantons crediblity. Shall we go on with the 35 million bond? Or the 10 million dollar Loan? How about the Hiring of 35 appointees but the decrease in public safety?

You decide!
Your 3rd grade name calling (Fatnucci, Fatelli) and your poor spelling and grammar do not help your point. Anyways, what's "SMOKEING?" I know of something called "SMOKING," and it should be wiped off the face of the earth, or at the very least kept out of the breathing space of others. The smoking ban was one of the few things on which I've agreed with Doherty as of lately.

Anyways, even if a few bars closed in this city, do you think it would be the end of the world? Most of the ones that would close are holes in the wall that attract trouble into residential neighborhoods. And then there's Whistles, which maybe would have done better business during the smoking ban if it served up even half-decent food (Whistles food is horrible, as is the food of the other crybaby establishment, Chick's Diner). Even if a few bars closed (which probably wouldn't have happened anyways), this city would still have probably more bars per capita than just about anywhere in the nation.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:07 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,661,422 times
go phillies, I'm not a smoker and I think it's a vile habit but Scranton had no right to enforce a smoking ban. It was simply illegal on the local level and everyone on council knew it. Council's attorney, Amil Minora knew it also but let council approve it anyway. Under PA state law, no second class city, such as Scranton, can enact a smoking ban locally. While it was a good idea in theory it was another miserable attempt of the Doherty administration to be pro-active but with the wrong issue. We will have to wait until smoking is banned statewide.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 AM

37 posts, read 94,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
go phillies, I'm not a smoker and I think it's a vile habit but Scranton had no right to enforce a smoking ban. It was simply illegal on the local level and everyone on council knew it. Council's attorney, Amil Minora knew it also but let council approve it anyway. Under PA state law, no second class city, such as Scranton, can enact a smoking ban locally. While it was a good idea in theory it was another miserable attempt of the Doherty administration to be pro-active but with the wrong issue. We will have to wait until smoking is banned statewide.
I can't agree anymore with you. If there was a smoking ban, it should have been in the buisnesses hands..not the citys. Go phillies? Do you happen to know how much that ban hurt business'? Whistles..tinks..egans..waldos..mcgintys..all of these bars/clubs all felt a really big punch when that ban hit. The city and council took the advice of 16-17 year olds which by the way..smoke. They failed to look into the law further and only the scranton princess evans voted this down. Why? because she knew better! she wasn't going to turn her back on the citizens or the businesses.

Of all people, The council listened to west scranton students. Care to go to west scranton high school and see how much they "hate" smoking? We can sit in the alley and watch the alley turn into a smoke puff!

Seriously, Why take the advice of 16-17 yearolds when they have one agenda? Their agenda is to make it their world! Why do you think this was taken into consideration? Lets see..gatelli-west scranton nurse Fanucci-West scranton grad and alumni Mcghoff-west scranton basketball coach. coincidence?

When the ban was enforced..The first thing out of gatellis mouth.." I would like to like to say thank you to all the West scranton students for bringing this issue to our attention". Here is the kicker..Abington heights tried to empliment this first..but failed because the clarks summit council PAYED ATTENTION to the law. Not only that..but gatelli went on to say that only the west scranton students deserve the credit? Excuse me? but bishop hannon, Scranton prep,scranton high and even riverside all came to the defense of the smoking ban. Where did they get credit? they didnt!

did i forget to mention that amil minoras cousin teachs at west scranton high? Theres another reason to puke at this ban!

The city got screwed..the business' got screwed...but come november..we will remember this!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I can't agree anymore with you. If there was a smoking ban, it should have been in the buisnesses hands..not the citys. Go phillies? Do you happen to know how much that ban hurt business'? Whistles..tinks..egans..waldos..mcgintys..all of these bars/clubs all felt a really big punch when that ban hit. The city and council took the advice of 16-17 year olds which by the way..smoke. They failed to look into the law further and only the scranton princess evans voted this down. Why? because she knew better! she wasn't going to turn her back on the citizens or the businesses.

Of all people, The council listened to west scranton students. Care to go to west scranton high school and see how much they "hate" smoking? We can sit in the alley and watch the alley turn into a smoke puff!

Seriously, Why take the advice of 16-17 yearolds when they have one agenda? Their agenda is to make it their world! Why do you think this was taken into consideration? Lets see..gatelli-west scranton nurse Fanucci-West scranton grad and alumni Mcghoff-west scranton basketball coach. coincidence?

When the ban was enforced..The first thing out of gatellis mouth.." I would like to like to say thank you to all the West scranton students for bringing this issue to our attention". Here is the kicker..Abington heights tried to empliment this first..but failed because the clarks summit council PAYED ATTENTION to the law. Not only that..but gatelli went on to say that only the west scranton students deserve the credit? Excuse me? but bishop hannon, Scranton prep,scranton high and even riverside all came to the defense of the smoking ban. Where did they get credit? they didnt!

did i forget to mention that amil minoras cousin teachs at west scranton high? Theres another reason to puke at this ban!

The city got screwed..the business' got screwed...but come november..we will remember this!
I don't know what to do at your post other than shake my head. First of all, do you honestly think that the students you see outside of West HS smoking are the same students who proposed the smoking ban? There are all different types in a high school, you know. Why don't you criticize the scumbags who were outside the school smoking, and the ones who are out partying in the woods, doing drugs, and spraying grafiti, rather than the group who did something positive with their time?

So we should "puke" at this ban because you don't like Amil Minora and he happens to have a relative who teaches at West? Are you kidding? Put down the crackpipe already. Your posts are nauseating and reek of a Joe Pilchesky sheep. Thanks to Joe and his followers as well as business owners like Rinaldi and Chickillo who put their bottom line ahead of people's health for destroying something positive in Scranton.

It doesn't matter. A statewide ban is coming, and I can't wait. The next thing that needs to be done is to ban smoking in houses and cars where children are present. Nothing burns me up than seeing some scumbag excuse for a parent puffing away at a cancer stick with a poor little kid who has no say in the matter sitting in the backseat forced to inhale cancerous fumes.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
After poring over the entirety of this thread, I've come to realize that Scranton's own worst enemy is its own residents. Why can't anyone say even ONE nice thing about the city on this forum? The reason all of the new transplants are flocking to newer subdivisions in The Abingtons, North Pocono, Moosic, Mid-Valley, and Greater Pittston as opposed to the city proper isn't because they all automatically have a vendetta against the city---it's because they've read nothing but negative after negative after negative about the city. I truly wish everyone who thought Scranton was sinking faster than the Titanic would either be like Dan and actually DEMAND improvements or just move to the suburbs like all of the other "quitters." In my humble opinion, Scranton is a city worth saving.

It would be well worth wading through political chaos and paying the wage tax in order to live in a true neighborhood, which is something you don't find in our "slap 'em up quick" housing developments. If you don't believe me, then refer to FivePointsGolf, a new resident of Sand Springs, in the Hazleton suburb of Butler Township. Instead of banding together as a neighborhood to fight for their rights, he's pretty much going it alone to bring improvements to his subdivisions while most of his other neighbors don't care about his water runoff issues because it doesn't affect them personally. Then you have a well-established community like Lower Green Ridge where not everyone floods or hacks up a lung from Daron Northeast, yet everyone still bands together and rallies behind their neighbors. I never got that sense of "community" here in the rapidly-explanding blob they call Greater Pittston, which is why I'll put up with anything in order to experience that in Scranton.

I can envision moving to either Hyde Park or the Lower Hill in the future and throwing monthly get-togethers in my backyard for the neighbors, perhaps culminating in an annual block party like Lower Green Ridge has (that I unfortunately couldn't attend due to my work schedule). I seek a community where people sit on their front porches and wave to you as you pass by while pushing a stroller, unlike my subdivision where I drive by people and wave to them in their driveways only to have them turn the other way and ignore me. I want a place where if my house burned down in the middle of the night, the neighbors would rush over with blankets, towels, and embraces, offer to temporarily house my dog, call my cell phone daily to make sure me and my family are okay at the motel, etc. You don't get that where I live now. It's just cold, sterile, standoff-ish, and "keeping up with the Jones's" at its finest here in suburbia, and I don't want to raise my children in this living hell. Member New2PA is happy she moved to a close-knit neighborhood in Dunmore where her neighbors embraced her family and are already discussing a block party. That wouldn't happen here in suburbia.

While all you people do is whine, *****, and kvetch about how "awful" it is to pay your "high" city taxes (which are in-line with the rest of the region), send your children to "awful" public schools (which actually fare better than some suburban school districts, as ConorsDad will tell you in regards to Valley View), walk around in your "downtown full of empty promises" (which, in my opinion, is the second-nicest downtown in PA for a medium-sized city behind Bethlehem), lock your doors at night to avoid the "high crime" (even though Scranton is among the safest cities in PA), etc., I just shake my head in disgust. It's people like me who attract new residents to Scranton to increase our tax base and breathe new life into the city with my photo tours, positive energy, and attitude of looking at things as what "can be" instead of what "ought to be." It's people like most of you on this forum that are scaring them back to the suburbs with how you do nothing but *****, *****, *****. It's people like the folks on DohertyDeceit who scare people away when all they do is *****, *****, *****. It's people like Fay Franus, Ray Lyman, etc. who scare away people when all they do is *****, *****, *****.

You know what? I'm not asking anyone to "sugarcoat" anything. Dan tells things like they are in the city. However, I'm truly tiring of being the only one on this forum who can say even one God-damned NICE thing about the city without having to preface it with "The city is a dump, but..." or "..., but the city is a dump." Instead of dwelling upon the inept politicians, red ink, and potholes, why don't more of you celebrate the growing urbane arts/cultural scene here (First Fridays, Everhart After Dark, Cocktails in the City, Scranton Cultural Center, etc.), the increasing tourist traffic associated with "The Office", the many festivals, block parties, bazaars, etc. that make our city unique, the (mostly) friendly, helpful people, the upcoming medical school, 500-block of Lackawanna Avenue, Connell Building, Jefferson Pointe, St. Peter's Square, Sixth Avenue, etc. that will help to revitalize the downtown, our lush green mountains, our great city parks like McDade and Nay Aug, etc.? Being a "realist" doesn't mean you have to turn a blind eye to the GOOD things around you. People accuse me of wearing rose-colored glasses. You know why? I HAVE TO! At least one person has to have faith in the city in order for it to recover. At least one person has to find a silver lining in the smiling face of a child in a wheelchair at the new treehouse or covered bridge at Nay Aug Park as opposed to being like the rest of you Scrooges who would push them over if it meant you could somehow get a tax deduction. At least one person has to give those lurking on this forum in search of a new home in NEPA reasons to move to Scranton and boost its tax base as opposed to just destroying more of our open space in the suburbs (and hurting Scranton in the long-run in terms of more flooding runoff concerns and a lost opportunity to gain another tax-paying family to balance its budget).

The key to revitalizing Scranton is to attract new residents to the city. I'm doing that (quite successfully may I add). People like Joe Pilchesky, Fay Franus, Ray Lyman, etc. are simply negating anything I say about this city having a future because they're all miserable that they were failures in lives themselves and can only feel better about themselves when they're dragging the entire city's outside image down. Do you folks realize that TENS OF THOUSANDS have now viewed Scranton's city council meetings on YouTube and that these same people all probably now think the city is an armpit as a result? It's not "funny" at all to have to sit back and watch people left and right avoiding moving to the city in favor of suburbs like my own simply because of the "hearsay" many on this forum and DohertyDeceit have spouted forth about Scranton being the second-coming of hell. Scranton is my dream city, and I refuse to let the naysayers get to me. I'll gladly take the city, flaws and all, because unlike most others I think its POSITIVES outweigh its NEGATIVES.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:44 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself, SWB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania