Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My NEPA dream house: a large Victorian or late Victorian-Edwardian craftsman,with lots of original woodwork a generous front porch, walk up attic,serene mountain views, and not too much "reckless updating" that needs to be undone. I reeellly love a back staircase too!
I do not want a true "fixer-upper" - I want a home that I can tweak i.e. change the outside colors to ones that are historically correct.
While I have a deep appreciation for older homes I would need a 21st century kitchen - but I would be mindful of the region and time period of the home.
As a Long Island Girl I would have to day that a house is not a home without an inground pool so I would want a large back yard.
Even so I want "walk ability", diverse neighbors, friendly but not "in your face neighbors"
I would also want a garden - again one that is in-keeping with the style of the home.
So no spiral bushes or palm trees.
I want a house that says "welcome". Not a museum a home for my family, my companion animals, my friends - old and new alike!
Sounds good Sheena! Need a roommate? I can do minor repairs, build decks and am a good gardener! LOL!

I'm an LI girl too, about 30 minutes east of you. Was just in NEPA last weekend. It's so much more beautiful than LI - even on the highway!

I'm hoping to pull some funds from my HELOC on my LI home to get a weekend cabin/mobile in PA. It's not my dream home, but it's a foot in the door!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:05 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,557,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Yes, for lake front property. There are side roads off of Harvey's Lake and non lake front properties, cabins ect. That aren't nearly as expensive, but the properties right on the lake are. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything under $300,000 right on the lake, but most of the properties also have beautiful boat houses that are nicer then most houses in Wilkes-Barre or Scranton! If you could afford it, it's not a bad way to live.
thanks WB Proud.........sounds like a really nice place.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:09 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I remember camping at a campground in Harvey's Lake with my grandparents when I was a kid. I don't know if it's even still there, but I remember it being next to an abandoned amusement park with an old white roller coaster that was falling apart. My cousins and I always had such a great time. Is the campground still there?

With that said, i'd love to have a log home somewhere in a wooded area, yet not too far from Scranton or Wilkes-Barre.
Well, that is gone ........yes.......But there are a few rentable Aframe type houses along the lake side. I think that would be fun for kids and families alike.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Summ how do you find out about renting these lakeside A frames? I would love to spend a month in PA while looking for a house.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
WB, is Harvey's Lake expensive?
Alas, she has been discovered by those "dreaded" transplants from NYC/NJ! (Oh no I didn't girlfriend!!)

In all seriousness though a lot of affluent newcomers in recent years have been buying up "cottages" (which in and of themselves are normally as large if not considerably larger than typical homes in Wilkes-Barre), tearing them down, and building large McMansions on the lots, driving up property values to the point where now, after reassessment, some long-time property owners are losing their homes because the now-retired owners can't afford the exorbitant tax bills.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:07 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Who says I'm affluent???

Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Summ how do you find out about renting these lakeside A frames? I would love to spend a month in PA while looking for a house.
Pine Grove Apartments & Cttgs, Harveys Lake, PA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
You might try this......Pine Grove Apartments and Cottages.
Last year I saw a few pictures of them, this time around I can't come accross it. Some are Aframe is this is the right place.
If not that local realtor there should have the name.......You'll see that realtor crop up. The only one on the lake.
I did pay by these on the ride around the lake.......

Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM

331 posts, read 640,133 times
Personally, I find Harvey's Lake WAY overcrowded. The houses in spots just look ridiculous and cookie-cutter. I would love to live on a lake, but I'd say no thanks to HL.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:29 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
Personally, I find Harvey's Lake WAY overcrowded. The houses in spots just look ridiculous and cookie-cutter. I would love to live on a lake, but I'd say no thanks to HL.
That's the way I feel about the Marina Pointe neighborhood at the entrance to the lake near Grotto. The facades are beautiful with stone work, but they face inward and AWAY from the roads, which means all people who are coming to the lake are seeing are big ugly neutral vinyl walls! Who was the idiot on the planning commission that thought this would be an aesthetically pleasing "gateway" to the lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania