Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
But, the original poster did specify "if money was no object." If money was no object, why would the stinkin' wage tax even matter?
I'm sorry conorsdad, I didn't see that part. You're right about Doherty. He loves illegals so much, why doesn't he move them next to him. I know his neighborhood doesn't have any illegals there. I love these liberals that tell us we should live with anybody and everybody, yet they're miles away from them in their mansion in Green Ridge. What a double standard!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
That would be fun to do to Scranton mayor Chris Doherty as well. He says he likes illegal immigrants and welcomes everyone. Great, then we should rent out a place next to Doherty with about 10 illegal immigrants to each bedroom. And the other side of him we can rent out to some crack-dealing Escalade-driving pitbull-owning welfare-collecting section 8ers from Newark.
Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Hip Hip Horray!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
bear creek. grew up there and miss it, but that winter thing you people do is keeping me away
I love it! I just got done shoveling out last night's 4.5 inches, and they're calling for 2-4 more tomorrow morning! It's great exercise!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I want just the opposite of Paul. I want to leave Scranton and buy my house in the suburbs away from the city. I would like a house with a lot of land in Wayne County or maybe something near Montdale or Clarks Summit. Just not in Scranton. Sorry Paul. The wage tax is killer.
If you love driving to everything on congested roads while playing chicken with tractor-trailers and shelling out $3.15/gallon for gasoline, then more power to you. I've driven over 50,000 miles in the past several years, and if I ever want to do anything I have to be a slave to my vehicle. We don't even have sidewalks here, so even if we WERE within reasonable walking distance of amenities we'd be unable to safely access them. Dan continually questions why I think Scranton's neighborhoods are walkable when he himself lives within spitting distance of a major neighborhood shopping center along Green Ridge Street. If he and his neighbors choose to drive that 1/10 of a mile or so to the shopping center instead of getting a bit of fresh air, then I feel sorry for them.

As for me, I grew up being unable to walk to school, friends' homes, parks, etc., and I don't want the same fate for my own future children. I know the New Yorkers flocking here think that cul-de-sac living in the Back Mountain, Abingtons, Mountain Top, or Greater Pittston is the best thing since sliced banana bread, but I couldn't fathom never being able to walk down the block to purchase a newspaper in the morning or to grab a cup of coffee (or hot cocoa in my case since I don't drink java). I'd be more than willing to pay that 3.4% wage tax for the LUXURY of living in a TRUE NEIGHBORHOOD! Some folks like their privacy, but I'd be happiest on a typical 50' x 150' city lot where my neighbors and I could chat and get to know each other.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:16 PM
mgb

97 posts, read 260,773 times
Quote:
Dan continually questions why I think Scranton's neighborhoods are walkable when he himself lives within spitting distance of a major neighborhood shopping center along Green Ridge Street. If he and his neighbors choose to drive that 1/10 of a mile or so to the shopping center instead of getting a bit of fresh air, then I feel sorry for them

Yeah,but, he would still have to dodge that traffic on Green Ridge St while hanging onto his shopping bags full of heavy groceries, unless he shops at Fashion Bug, too.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
unless he shops at Fashion Bug, too.
Oh no you didn't! LOL!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,560 times
Even though Dan lives less than a mile from the Giant, it's still not feasible for him to walk if he has to get a big shopping order. I noticed since living here, I don't put any less miles on my car than living in The Hideout. You still need to use your car if you live in Scranton. Not everything is readily available in the neighborhoods. You have to drive to go shopping and do other things. It's still a hike to walk to the Steamtown Mall from West Side.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Even though Dan lives less than a mile from the Giant, it's still not feasible for him to walk if he has to get a big shopping order. I noticed since living here, I don't put any less miles on my car than living in The Hideout. You still need to use your car if you live in Scranton. Not everything is readily available in the neighborhoods. You have to drive to go shopping and do other things. It's still a hike to walk to the Steamtown Mall from West Side.
Well when you're like me and can run seven or eight miles for a workout, a mile's walk seems like nothing. To be fair I live about a half-mile as the crow flies from the Pittston Commons/Pittston Plaza complex and will live adjacent to the upcoming Pittston Crossings Mall. One would think I could walk to all of these places, but in order to do so I'd need to trek along busy four-lane arteries like Highway 315 or U.S. Route 11 where there aren't any shoulders, let alone sidewalks. I don't know where you've been, but I think Lower Green Ridge is FAR less than a mile from the Green Ridge Shopping Center. Yes, you'd have to cross busy Green Ridge Street to get there, but I'd rather cross a two-lane road at a signalized intersection as opposed to nearly being creamed by tractor-trailers whizzing by on the four-lane roadways here.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,582 times
Wellsboro very beautiful would build a place on the mountain high on the hill overlooking the pennsylvania grand canyon Down town is gorgeous little shops and gas light posts wildlife aplenty great people and the bike trail runs through there been on alot of back roads that way and some great views to see off the beaten path

Last edited by MARLENE P; 06-09-2009 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: needed to add more

Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Assuming I was still working I would love a house up in Laurel Run or on Pine Run Rd. Close to town but in the woods and the houses are still affordable there. I have even seen houses for sale there that I could buy. The reason I haven't is my Wife is afraid of being in the woods with the bears and who knows what else. How about that house you can see driving east on Northampton street at the very top of the Mountain? Where I am now has quite a view of the valley for living in the city so I am content anyway.
Yeah....how the heck do they get up there? Is it a private road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania