Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,785,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishLASSIE333 View Post
I was originally going to ask "If you could live anywhere, where/why?" but then realized it would not necessarily be relevant to this particular forum, so instead I am posing the question:

If money was NO object, where in NEPA would you choose to live and why?

I am sure our answers will all be incredibly varied and may even give us ideas about visiting places in the area we have never been to or have not seen in quite some time.

If I had no monetary limitations, I would just LOVE to renovate an old farmhouse at the base of Elk Mountain, somewhere on the Wayne/Susquehanna border...with a nice parcel of land so that I could have a sprawling garden to grow flowers, herbs, vegetables and different kinds of grasses. Of course, sweeping views of Elk would be a priority.
It would be important for me to purchase an established property. It is so lovely and serene up there that I would not want to bulldoze any woods or fields -- then again, I wouldn't need to!

I love the idea of living in an old home with updated, up-to-code interiors with the charm and character and history of the place preserved. I would probably deck out the inside WAY above what the real estate market up there would be able to handle, but then again, this is a dream home, so I wouldn't have to worry about resale value; I'd never leave!!!

I would love to lead a quiet existence up there: taking long walks, trying out recipes with the veggies and herbs from my garden, filling my home with the flowers I grew myself, skiing in the wintertime, and of course enjoying a meal at Stonebridge several times each month. Sounds good to me!

Sooo. . .what are your thoughts? I would love to hear them!

What you just said,,,,,,,lolol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,687,329 times
Right on( well most are across the street) Harveys Lake in a huge, huge house. and............You all could come over and swim and boat whenever you wanted. Anytime.........
We'd swim, and boat, and laugh and then again, and again.........all summer long.
The door would always swing open........just..........bring your favorite foods. I just know I'd have nothing anyone would want in the fridge........Yipeeeee....
And please bring a bike and we'd bike ride around the lake........( jogging I'm not so sure)

Old 06-09-2009, 09:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,281,072 times
Harvey's Lake. Period

Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,564,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Harvey's Lake. Period
WB, is Harvey's Lake expensive?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:31 AM

6,832 posts, read 9,389,012 times
I remember camping at a campground in Harvey's Lake with my grandparents when I was a kid. I don't know if it's even still there, but I remember it being next to an abandoned amusement park with an old white roller coaster that was falling apart. My cousins and I always had such a great time. Is the campground still there?

With that said, i'd love to have a log home somewhere in a wooded area, yet not too far from Scranton or Wilkes-Barre.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,281,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
WB, is Harvey's Lake expensive?
Yes, for lake front property. There are side roads off of Harvey's Lake and non lake front properties, cabins ect. That aren't nearly as expensive, but the properties right on the lake are. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything under $300,000 right on the lake, but most of the properties also have beautiful boat houses that are nicer then most houses in Wilkes-Barre or Scranton! If you could afford it, it's not a bad way to live.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 AM

331 posts, read 640,850 times
Maybe near Quaker Lake. Just something simple.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:06 PM

32,967 posts, read 36,456,285 times
Hansen's amusement park has been gone for some time. I didn't know that there was ever a campground there.

Harveys Lake History

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I remember camping at a campground in Harvey's Lake with my grandparents when I was a kid. I don't know if it's even still there, but I remember it being next to an abandoned amusement park with an old white roller coaster that was falling apart. My cousins and I always had such a great time. Is the campground still there?

With that said, i'd love to have a log home somewhere in a wooded area, yet not too far from Scranton or Wilkes-Barre.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:09 PM

936 posts, read 2,400,460 times
I would probably just stay where I am. I have made many friends here and love where I am. The only thing I would want is to have a home on the lake. It doesnt have to be a big home, maybe a little bigger than I have now. But if I had lake front, nice flat property, that would make me happy. But since I am happy now that wouldnt really matter.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 PM

24,135 posts, read 32,552,007 times
My NEPA dream house: a large Victorian or late Victorian-Edwardian craftsman,with lots of original woodwork a generous front porch, walk up attic,serene mountain views, and not too much "reckless updating" that needs to be undone. I reeellly love a back staircase too!
I do not want a true "fixer-upper" - I want a home that I can tweak i.e. change the outside colors to ones that are historically correct.
While I have a deep appreciation for older homes I would need a 21st century kitchen - but I would be mindful of the region and time period of the home.
As a Long Island Girl I would have to day that a house is not a home without an inground pool so I would want a large back yard.
Even so I want "walk ability", diverse neighbors, friendly but not "in your face neighbors"
I would also want a garden - again one that is in-keeping with the style of the home.
So no spiral bushes or palm trees.
I want a house that says "welcome". Not a museum a home for my family, my companion animals, my friends - old and new alike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania