Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:45 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
I suppose they can recruit from Catawba College in Hickory
Catawba College isn't in hickory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 09:32 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,320 times
You know, now that I think of it, I think I've read many tech companies are now looking for small towns in rural areas, now that the popularity of offshoring to India has probably peaked. They call it "farmshoring".

The advantage: the people in those places speak better English (or at least you hope they do)....they'll work for salaries almost as low as the Indians will....and they don't get the frequent blackouts/brownouts on the electric grid that most Indian cities get. (My other half was sent to India for work last year....talked about the endless blackouts at their data center & how it caused major havoc all the time.)

Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Catawba College isn't in hickory

<shakes head/makes "bbbb" finger to lips sound> YEAH. It's in Salisbury! What was I thinking ? And a very handsome campus it has: stately old brick buildings under spreading oaks. Very Ivy looking.

Catawba Valley CC is in Hickory.

That's what you get for being a night shifter: brain clouds

Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
Prospect of cheap power puts Caldwell County on company's short list
Internet giant Google is considering North Carolina as one of two or three finalists for an $800 million to $1 billion computer center that would employ 200 workers,

Those geeks just came to Phoenix recently too. They get around.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:14 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
You know, now that I think of it, I think I've read many tech companies are now looking for small towns in rural areas, now that the popularity of offshoring to India has probably peaked. They call it "farmshoring".
That's interesting. Thanks for pointing it out. I googled and found articles on it:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=735
Quote:
If you haven't heard already, there is a new term that is adding more confusion and consternation in the offshore outsourcing debate. "Farmshoring," or outsourcing work to domestic rural locations, is gaining visibility among companies who want to keep US jobs from shipping overseas. While the cost of living and labor wages in rural areas can more effectively compete with the labor savings touted by offshore providers, it's the avoidance of offshore troubles such as cross-cultural confusion, transnational legal woes, and time-zone differences that is at the heart of its appeal
Comments to bloggers and on other sites indicate a debate on its effectiveness and staying power. Some ***clowns have to put in their own snide remarks about workers leaving the shotguns they normally hook on racks across the back of their pickup windows and their hound dawgs, at home

Still, it's only a small dent. Companies relocate several hundred, maybe a thousand jobs to East Jesus, USA? We've lost 10s of thousands to the likes of Bangalore. I commend the companies for doing this but I still don't think it's going to change my co-workers (long time ITers) advice to their kids: "DON'T go into the IT field."

Old 10-03-2006, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
Yeah, as a member of Caldwell County, I find this form very disterbing. We are not stupid, poor, hicks. We don't work for cheap labor like other countries. We aren't fully in the mountains. Are are mostly located in the Foothills. Lenoir is a grand place, the people are smart, and nice. Our community college is top rated in Tech. ... So don't think that we are stupid moron's. Thats not even close to the truth.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:46 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
I can commute to RTP with no problem. I'll write a letter to Google asking them to reconsider
You can come to AZ and work for Google if you want

Old 10-22-2006, 02:38 PM

61 posts, read 260,317 times
Default Anymore news?

I got a PM telling me I may want to consider Lenoir and surrounding areas because of this Google thing. Has anyone heard anything more about it? I was interested in this area, I am just wondering about the cost of living and jobs and what they pay? We are in East TN right now where it's hard to get a job starting over $10 an hour but the at least in some areas it is cheap to live.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,243 times
Default Lenoir

Lenoir, NC is at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains -- beautiful scenery, nice people, slow pace. Don't come if you are used to bakeries, bookstores, or a variety of restaurants, you will be disappointed. What you would find in a mid-sized city you'll have to drive 30 miles to find. Property taxes are fairly low for now, but there are new housing developments coming in that are going to change that -- developers are recruiting people from more expensive areas of the country, so in a few years it will be just as expensive as anywhere else. And there are very few good jobs, most of the people were employed in manufacturing until a few years ago when the furniture industry relocated to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina