Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo
Easy guys... it's just a data farm. Most of the jobs will be lackluster maintainence jobs. The meaty development stuff won't come here.

That is a good point and goes to my other post, a lot of the big jobs stay where ever the HQ - they put small satellite offices in the area...similar to RTF, a lot of pharm companies have research and development there but the pharm HQ are mostly in NY and NJ (NJ gives them great tax incentives)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 10:10 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
I've seen that a lot in NC, companies relocate employees to the area but then these same people get relocated again somewhere else..
Like us Only we liked what we found here and decided not to move. And since the second move involved only hand-picked employees (the ones with the most experience and skills), boy did we p* off some managers when we said "Denver?" *blech* "We staying here in NC!"

Old 07-21-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Easy guys... it's just a data farm. Most of the jobs will be lackluster maintainence jobs. The meaty development stuff won't come here.
Whaaa ..? Have you ever dealt with a critical server crash? It ain't pretty. Especially if it happens in the middle of the night and the LAN person can't fix it by dialing in. Though I bet Google is redundant with its backup servers.

Part that I thought interesting (from the Charlotte Disturber):
Quote:
...because server farms can consume as much power as a city of some 35,000 people, even modest reductions in electricity rates can save millions of dollars a year.
Wow

Old 07-21-2006, 10:31 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,320 times
Odd...I wonder what is going on in Caldwell County for them to have such lower power rates than other parts of NC?

Old 07-21-2006, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,626 times
I am not saying that the jobs aren't intensive, etc. I think it's safe to say that Google's allure is their product development. This development would be great for Caldwell County, but I don't think it brings the creative jobs that can propel future growth.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I am not saying that the jobs aren't intensive, etc. I think it's safe to say that Google's allure is their product development. This development would be great for Caldwell County, but I don't think it brings the creative jobs that can propel future growth.
Well, what we're seeing in the industry is that development is being outsourced to places like India, anyway (yo, Bill Gates! thanks for leading the way with Microsoft India and the colleges you founded there! ), so I can see jobs in Caldwell county mainly based on server maintenance (which isn't anything to be sneezed at as far as a job skill). Also, server security. That's a field in itself, now.

Still, I don't mean to put down the good people of Caldwell county, but ... I suppose they can recruit from Catawba College in Hickory, and certainly there will be transplants who'd love to have a tech job in an area close to the mountains. I don't see this as providing a large resource for the displaced furniture workers.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 PM

212 posts, read 923,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Well, what we're seeing in the industry is that development is being outsourced to places like India, anyway (yo, Bill Gates! thanks for leading the way with Microsoft India and the colleges you founded there! ), so I can see jobs in Caldwell county mainly based on server maintenance (which isn't anything to be sneezed at as far as a job skill). Also, server security. That's a field in itself, now.

Still, I don't mean to put down the good people of Caldwell county, but ... I suppose they can recruit from Catawba College in Hickory, and certainly there will be transplants who'd love to have a tech job in an area close to the mountains. I don't see this as providing a large resource for the displaced furniture workers.
Google recently located another branch in Tempe, AZ on the ASU campus -
The new Google office will be primarily focused on engineering, operations and IT support functions and is part of its worldwide effort to build engineering centers in locations where there are great engineers.
A few engineers that I know obtained jobs there and said they are great to work for. The first day of work they were given a $250 certificate to go and shop in the google store!

Old 07-21-2006, 04:44 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,757 times
From what I have heard too Google is a GREAT place to work, very hard to land a job, they want the best and are picky. In their NYC office, they give the employees lunch everyday - and alot of other perks..

Many larger companies now are being more picky in their hiring, companies have learned it is better to hire the best, pay a littel more and retain as the cost to hire when you lose, is worse

Old 07-21-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tismekll
The new Google office will be primarily focused on engineering, operations and IT support functions and is part of its worldwide effort to build engineering centers in locations where there are great engineers.
You sound like a head hunter for the company

The server guys I know basically started from the bottom, working in the PC-based environment when we converted from the now dinosaur-age CRTs to PC-based monitoring of mainframes and mid-frame processing. Some of the PC people then moved into LAN, literally rebuilding our company based on that platform. Lord, I can remember when we had one itsy rack of servers Now we have our own farm. I know because I had to help inventory the d* things Now that companies (especially those with distribution centers) are moving into wireless communication from servers to selectors, even the server area is being split into that particular field.

The LAN people are workers that companies are afraid to lose. They do try to keep them happy.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:41 PM

212 posts, read 923,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
You sound like a head hunter for the company

The server guys I know basically started from the bottom, working in the PC-based environment when we converted from the now dinosaur-age CRTs to PC-based monitoring of mainframes and mid-frame processing. Some of the PC people then moved into LAN, literally rebuilding our company based on that platform. Lord, I can remember when we had one itsy rack of servers Now we have our own farm. I know because I had to help inventory the d* things Now that companies (especially those with distribution centers) are moving into wireless communication from servers to selectors, even the server area is being split into that particular field.

The LAN people are workers that companies are afraid to lose. They do try to keep them happy.
Nope, just worked at the University with Engineering graduate students who left jobs elsewhere to go to Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina