Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM

122 posts, read 161,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
You may have missed her comment that this budget shifts a lot of educational costs to local government. You may not care about this, but if you have children you should.

Under the circumstances, I think the Governor handled this as well as it could have been handled. There's been a number of critics of the Governor on this thread, but although I have repeatedly invited individuals to do so, NOBODY has been able to offer up any of their own workable ideas.

So, you got any ideas of how this should have gone down?
I don't like this budget, it's bad for North Carolina. Yes I want the EB, but not at any cost. I think the sales tax should stay in place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 05:42 PM

264 posts, read 363,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
I don't like this budget, it's bad for North Carolina. Yes I want the EB, but not at any cost. I think the sales tax should stay in place
I agree. I'm still hoping EB can be passed in a way that doesn't hurt crucial items in the state budget.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:42 PM

249 posts, read 304,845 times
The Governor offered to even cut the sales tax in half to help fund the budget but the Republicans will have nothing to do with it. Public consensus seems to be in favor of keeping part of the sales tax to fund education. I would be in favor of that solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post

Old 05-31-2011, 05:44 PM

162 posts, read 193,372 times
What is the alternative, who will bend? If she won't and if this is the last the Republicans will offer, what happens other than the Government shutting down. I don't want anyone to lose their job over the budget because I don't want them to go through what I am now. But I don't know what the solution is, other than the obvious of giving us a standalone bill.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 PM

191 posts, read 218,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini1girl View Post
What is the alternative, who will bend? If she won't and if this is the last the Republicans will offer, what happens other than the Government shutting down. I don't want anyone to lose their job over the budget because I don't want them to go through what I am now. But I don't know what the solution is, other than the obvious of giving us a standalone bill.
The way things are going, there are no real winners in this situation. A stand alone bill should be passed , but I think we all know that the GOP will not let that happen. If everyone up there had the peoples best interest in mind, there would be workable solutions in place. Also we all know that cuts need to happen and will, I just wish all parties would sit down and figure out what is best for the citizens of the state not what is best for their next "campaign".

Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM

108 posts, read 160,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
You may have missed her comment that this budget shifts a lot of educational costs to local government. You may not care about this, but if you have children you should.

Under the circumstances, I think the Governor handled this as well as it could have been handled. There's been a number of critics of the Governor on this thread, but although I have repeatedly invited individuals to do so, NOBODY has been able to offer up any of their own workable ideas.

So, you got any ideas of how this should have gone down?
You keep asking this silly question. What should have been done is get together with the republicans face to face and work the issue out instead of fighting it out in the media. Act like a leader and, uh, lead. Not just throw darts at each other through the media. The republicans are just as guilty of fighting it out in the press instead of insisting on face to face meetings to work something out. Work out a compromise for heaven's sake. That is how grown ups work out disputes.

I think all of them should be ashamed of themselves. But I am not at all surprised that it played out the way it did.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM

108 posts, read 160,609 times
I wasn't the one that started posting about the budget, education, and taxes. So who is off topic?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:55 PM

230 posts, read 275,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post
I wasn't the one that started posting about the budget, education, and taxes. So who is off topic?

Sacflies, we are talking about EB and the budget, and the comprise that is being made, you went off on a tangent about perdue and spending, nothing in your post related to EB at all.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You keep asking this silly question. What should have been done is get together with the republicans face to face and work the issue out instead of fighting it out in the media. Act like a leader and, uh, lead. Not just throw darts at each other through the media. The republicans are just as guilty of fighting it out in the press instead of insisting on face to face meetings to work something out. Work out a compromise for heaven's sake. That is how grown ups work out disputes.

I think all of them should be ashamed of themselves. But I am not at all surprised that it played out the way it did.
Someone previously said Perdue should have had mandatory meetings with the GA leaders. I asked does she actually have the power to call mandatory meetings? Never got an answer.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina