Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 02:59 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Thanks for the clarification. However, that scene isn't too far off from the look that you do see in the Uwharries. The photo below is Lake Tillery where the Uwharrie River converges with the Pee Dee River, in western Montgomery County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_T...r_converge.jpg

As mentioned earlier and as you explained in the history of the Uwharrie Mountains, what is so fascinating to me is the picture above almost has a feel that you are in the mountains and the picture below feels like you are way down east in the coastal plain. And they are just over 20 miles apart.

https://goo.gl/maps/yknuCNaC1XxyJaz66
Travelling between Charlotte and Raleigh on NC49/US64 you get a brief glimpse of what look like Mountains when you had East.

Your bottom photo looks Piedmont to me though, Eastern NC towards Morehead City is much flatter, however Wilmington is not flat, it seem you're always bouncing up and down I've never figured out why the soil is different.

It's a mysterious area as the only place on earth where the venus fly trap lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 02:30 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Although I havenā€™t spent much time in Southeast NC, I think most find it shocking that any part of NC would be considered Deep South.
Personally, I don't have a problem with the Charlotte area being considered "deep south". After all, South Carolina's capital city is closer to us than North Carolina's capital city. Also, I'd argue that Charlotte (culturally) probably has more in common with Memphis and Atlanta than it does with most of NC (except for Durham and Fayetteville).

Without getting too deep into ethnicity; we all must admit that demographics has a lot to do with the culture of an area. With that said, Charlotte (and areas directly east of Charlotte such as Wadesboro and Rockingham) are as deep south as it gets. Deep South is NOT synonymous with "backwards" by the way (look at Atlanta). Any US metro that's approaching 3 million people is not going to be "backwards", but it is definitely more deep south than Appalachia. The Gospel, hip hop, and R&B music that has come out of Charlotte absolutely represents Deep South; there's NOTHING "Appalachian" about any of it.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:35 PM

773 posts, read 646,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Travelling between Charlotte and Raleigh on NC49/US64 you get a brief glimpse of what look like Mountains when you had East.

Your bottom photo looks Piedmont to me though, Eastern NC towards Morehead City is much flatter, however Wilmington is not flat, it seem you're always bouncing up and down I've never figured out why the soil is different.

It's a mysterious area as the only place on earth where the venus fly trap lives.
I can't understand what you mean by this. I've never noticed much (any?) hills or undulation in and around Wilmington. Where exactly have you noticed this?

Old 10-12-2020, 07:00 PM

771 posts, read 627,874 times
Quote:
Asheville is so far from the rest of NC that it may as well be part of Tennessee.

i wonder if they feel slighted by the state as far as attention and resources being allocated.
Agreed. Raleigh is closer to the D.C. area than it is to Asheville, if I'm not mistaken.

Funny enough, the major cities of Tennessee are pretty far from Asheville, too. You'd think Knoxville would be close but it's almost two hours away. Asheville is somewhat isolated, although Greenville/Spartanburg isn't too far.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Agreed. Raleigh is closer to the D.C. area than it is to Asheville, if I'm not mistaken.
Roughly the same, depending on traffic of course, but A'ville is closer. 4 hours and 15 minutes to DC and 3 hours and 45 minutes to Asheville.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Roughly the same, depending on traffic of course, but A'ville is closer. 4 hours and 15 minutes to DC and 3 hours and 45 minutes to Asheville.
Gotcha. Asheville seems further away for some reason. Driving from Raleigh, even Winston-Salem isn't halfway there.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:09 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
You must have that backwards unless all the nice interstates through Greensboro get you to Asheville much faster now.

D.C. is 250 miles from Raleigh and it's never taken more than 4 hours for me, and I not a super speeder either.

However I consider the HOV-3 lanes in NoVa as part of D.C.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Took me 7 hours to go from Alexandria area to Chapel Hill one time. Just bad DC traffic, no wreck that I could see.

Google maps says it is 275/4:15 miles from downtown Raleigh to DC vs 247 miles/3:51 to Asheville, so a bit shorter both time and miles-wise for Asheville. That's certainly my experience. DC is an unpleasant slog on 95. Asheville is a pretty easy and nice ride on 40.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
You must have that backwards unless all the nice interstates through Greensboro get you to Asheville much faster now.
Nope.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:38 PM

Part of the reason why I thought D.C. was closer is that I usually view Fredericksburg as the gateway into the D.C. area, which is about 230 miles north of Raleigh and closer than Asheville. However, I know northern Virginia technically isn't D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina