Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 07:26 AM

6,166 posts, read 4,637,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Actually it's near Asheville lol
Thanks for the clarification. However, that scene isn't too far off from the look that you do see in the Uwharries. The photo below is Lake Tillery where the Uwharrie River converges with the Pee Dee River, in western Montgomery County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_T...r_converge.jpg

As mentioned earlier and as you explained in the history of the Uwharrie Mountains, what is so fascinating to me is the picture above almost has a feel that you are in the mountains and the picture below feels like you are way down east in the coastal plain. And they are just over 20 miles apart.

https://goo.gl/maps/yknuCNaC1XxyJaz66
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 07:10 AM

6,165 posts, read 7,248,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Thanks for the clarification. However, that scene isn't too far off from the look that you do see in the Uwharries. The photo below is Lake Tillery where the Uwharrie River converges with the Pee Dee River, in western Montgomery County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_T...r_converge.jpg

As mentioned earlier and as you explained in the history of the Uwharrie Mountains, what is so fascinating to me is the picture above almost has a feel that you are in the mountains and the picture below feels like you are way down east in the coastal plain. And they are just over 20 miles apart.

https://goo.gl/maps/yknuCNaC1XxyJaz66
Its definitely a great place to live if you love unspoiled scenic beauty away from a lot of people.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:50 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,912,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
It does go into Pennsylvania. Again, one needs to actually read the book, not just nitpick the map.
Quote:
And again, if you'd READ the book, you'd understand why thats the case, and in fact, understand that was the authors intent. For hopefully the last time, the map is NOT meant to be examined, parsed and criticized as a freestanding document. It means nothing without the context of the book itself.

I think we've found the author, guys & gals. lololol

Old 10-09-2020, 06:30 PM

848 posts, read 1,122,625 times
I can't think of any place in North Carolina I would describe as "Deep South" -- except maybe far western NC near Georgia. I'd also add an area of North Carolina called, "Metropolitan North Carolina" to account for the diverse urban areas of Charlotte, RDU, and Asheville -- even, Greensboro-Winston Salem.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:17 PM

773 posts, read 648,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
I think we've found the author, guys & gals. lololol
Yeah, thats hilarious. I'm not the author (although I certainly wish I was). I'm just a smart guy who, you know, actually read the book. And understands it. Unlike everyone else commenting on it.

Last edited by Royal James; 10-09-2020 at 08:02 PM..

Old 10-09-2020, 08:01 PM

4,623 posts, read 6,463,577 times
Although I havenā€™t spent much time in Southeast NC, I think most find it shocking that any part of NC would be considered Deep South.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:05 PM

773 posts, read 648,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Although I havenā€™t spent much time in Southeast NC, I think most find it shocking that any part of NC would be considered Deep South.
I think "most find it shocking" that people would express opinions about a book they haven't read and don't even pretend to understand. Well, actually I guess that isn't shocking in 2020.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:55 PM

4,623 posts, read 6,463,577 times
Quote:
I think "most find it shocking" that people would express opinions about a book they haven't read and don't even pretend to understand. Well, actually I guess that isn't shocking in 2020.
You triggered?

Old 10-10-2020, 06:43 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,084,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I can't think of any place in North Carolina I would describe as "Deep South" -- except maybe far western NC near Georgia.
That would be the Appalachian South or the High Country. The Deep South is more in line with the coastal plain/Cotton Belt South where slavery was more prevalent.

Quote:
I'd also add an area of North Carolina called, "Metropolitan North Carolina" to account for the diverse urban areas of Charlotte, RDU, and Asheville -- even, Greensboro-Winston Salem.
How does Asheville get to be included before the Triad which is definitely a more metropolitan and diverse area than Asheville?

Otherwise, there is the Urban Crescent along the I-85 corridor which includes the Triangle, the Triad, and Charlotte.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:50 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,952,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That would be the Appalachian South or the High Country. The Deep South is more in line with the coastal plain/Cotton Belt South where slavery was more prevalent.

How does Asheville get to be included before the Triad which is definitely a more metropolitan and diverse area than Asheville?

Otherwise, there is the Urban Crescent along the I-85 corridor which includes the Triangle, the Triad, and Charlotte.
Asheville is so far from the rest of NC that it may as well be part of Tennessee.

i wonder if they feel slighted by the state as far as attention and resources being allocated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina