Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 05:10 PM

8,809 posts, read 10,272,316 times

Advertisements

I've seen that map before (the one in the OP) and it confuses me. I wouldn't consider anything west of Nashville to be considered "Greater Appalachia", and this map has that region going out as far west as New Mexico? I am also confused by Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan being "Greater Yankeedom". Those are Midwestern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 06:51 PM

773 posts, read 649,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I've seen that map before (the one in the OP) and it confuses me. I wouldn't consider anything west of Nashville to be considered "Greater Appalachia", and this map has that region going out as far west as New Mexico? I am also confused by Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan being "Greater Yankeedom". Those are Midwestern states.
Yeah, if only someone would write a book to explain it, LOL.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:55 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,759,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
It does go into Pennsylvania. Again, one needs to actually read the book, not just nitpick the map.
Going into Pennsylvania is not the same as going through Pennsylvania, which the mountains do. The OP asked for opinions on the map and said that he or she has not read the book. If the OP makes reading the book a requirement for commenting on the map I will honor that. You are not the OP.

It appears that the map is somewhat setup in conjunction with early migration routes, particularly the eastern US. There are some problems with that.

Old 09-11-2020, 04:58 AM

773 posts, read 649,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Going into Pennsylvania is not the same as going through Pennsylvania, which the mountains do.
Its not about geography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It appears that the map is somewhat setup in conjunction with early migration routes, particularly the eastern US. There are some problems with that.
There are "problems" with everything.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:31 AM

3,667 posts, read 3,955,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It's perplexing that the Triad is split into two different cultural regions. I don't buy that at all.

I also think that I'd stretch the Tidewater to be inclusive of Wilmington. There seems to be more cultural connection to the outer banks up toward Hampton Roads than to the rest of the Deep South.

I could also make a strong argument that the greater I85 corridor from Raleigh to Atlanta could be a separate cultural nation with so many fast growing and migratory cities in that path.
I agree that Counties along US17 to the coast should be part of the Tidewater region since their history and beginnings were intertwined. I mean New Bern was once the state Capital.

I've always felt that Charlotte Salisbury and Lexington and further Westward had a mountain culture influence that's different from the Triangle.

The Triad almost belong with Southwestern VA because it snows more and seems at the edge of a very rural area.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:21 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,114,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I am also confused by Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan being "Greater Yankeedom". Those are Midwestern states.
Generally speaking, in the U.S., Yankees are Northerners and the Midwest is part of the North (the former Northwest before westward expansion). The upper Midwest in particular was settled by New Englanders/upstate New Yorkers...quintessential Yankees.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-11-2020 at 09:12 AM..

Old 09-11-2020, 03:58 PM

771 posts, read 632,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I agree that Counties along US17 to the coast should be part of the Tidewater region since their history and beginnings were intertwined. I mean New Bern was once the state Capital.

I've always felt that Charlotte Salisbury and Lexington and further Westward had a mountain culture influence that's different from the Triangle.

The Triad almost belong with Southwestern VA because it snows more and seems at the edge of a very rural area.
Agreed. Appalachian influence is apparent west of Greensboro and west of the I-85 stretch heading south to Charlotte, IMO. Cities along the lines of Winston-Salem or Statesville are clearly Piedmont, but there's a hint of Appalachian flavor thrown in that doesn't exist in the eastern Piedmont (Durham, Raleigh, etc.).

Old 09-12-2020, 03:22 PM

8,398 posts, read 4,396,112 times
To me its an odd mix of geopolitical references.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:20 PM

467 posts, read 430,612 times
I feel like the breakdown of regions could have been a lot more accurate. Some of the divisions seem pretty arbitrary, but a good effort.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:10 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,759,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
I feel like the breakdown of regions could have been a lot more accurate. Some of the divisions seem pretty arbitrary, but a good effort.
It reminds me of the map of NJ that a kid made a few years ago with a good sized chunk of South Jersey labeled pretty much Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina