Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this thread be closed?
yes 27 71.05%
no 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM

167 posts, read 945,261 times

Advertisements

My fiancé's boss used to live in Asheville and although he liked the area, he said he encountered quite a bit of blatant racism there. He said that he witnessed, in public places, white people making very derogatory remarks about black people (including the N-word) even, or especially, when black people were present. I was really shocked by this-- I have never witnessed anything like this, anywhere. (I don't know when he lived in Asheville or if this was something that happened often or if it was actually an isolated incident.) Can anyone tell me how prevalent racism really is in NC?
(I don't want to start any fights here... I'm just asking a genuine question, because I want to know what to expect.)

Old 05-08-2006, 01:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
I live in the Asheville area and haven't seen any. At least, not since civil rights movement of the 1960's, but that was all over the South. You do know that the Mayor of Asheville is a Black woman even though Asheville is 78% White, right?

Last edited by mm34b; 05-08-2006 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-08-2006, 01:07 PM

58 posts, read 344,549 times
It is rare, but in the more rural areas it can be found. I mean the areas where your closest neighbor is a mile or two away. I have seen more racism towards hispanics lately, no one seems to want them here and they are pretty open about it.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkruk
It is rare, but in the more rural areas it can be found. I mean the areas where your closest neighbor is a mile or two away. I have seen more racism towards hispanics lately, no one seems to want them here and they are pretty open about it.
I think the rub with the Hispanics is that many of them are not here legally and are putting a big drain on social services.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-08-2006 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-08-2006, 01:33 PM

27 posts, read 138,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
I think the rub with the Hispanics is that many of them are not here legally.

::sigh:: And the hard working ones that are here legally and pay uncle sam religiously pay the consecuences by being stereotyped just like our neighbors the northerners.

I hope I don't encounter much hatred when I arrive there.. I promise to adjust and be a good neighbor..

Old 05-08-2006, 01:57 PM

Actually, it's not that hard to identify the illegals from the legals in small towns like mine. No work permit, works for cash only, speaks Spanish only, unable to provide documentation as to identity, unable to provide any employment or address history, no checking account, no tax returns. You get the idea.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:09 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
My fiancé's boss used to live in Asheville and although he liked the area, he said he encountered quite a bit of blatant racism there. He said that he witnessed, in public places, white people making very derogatory remarks about black people (including the N-word) even, or especially, when black people were present. I was really shocked by this-- I have never witnessed anything like this, anywhere. (I don't know when he lived in Asheville or if this was something that happened often or if it was actually an isolated incident.) Can anyone tell me how prevalent racism really is in NC?
(I don't want to start any fights here... I'm just asking a genuine question, because I want to know what to expect.)
Not a very popular question, but a fair and necessary one. We live in a quaint little mountain town in Colorado, and when we began to consider NC, we first thought of Asheville. But we quickly ruled it out in part because of the bigotry and racism to be expected. Not saying it's wide spread or the norm. It's just not uncommon in rural or mountain towns.

As for the rest of NC, I suppose that it's not like most other states: the farther away from city centers you go, the more likely you'll incur it--even in the suburbs. It's a tough choice. We were looking into Huntersville and other Charlotte suburbs, but after reading as much as we could and asking as many questions that we could, we've decided to consider some nice areas of Charlotte. This way, we can enjoy a nice neighborhood; be close to work and all the things that uptown has to offer; and be a little more comfortable in the diversity.

I hope this doesn't come off as an afront to folks who live in the Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham suburbs. There are just some unpleasant realities about urban, suburban and rural life. And with children, we try our best to protect them from as much bigotry as possible.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:54 PM

16 posts, read 72,358 times
Backfist, you want diversity? Come to sunny California! Tons of diversity, plenty of liberals!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:06 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,607,979 times
And reverse racism galore as well as the awful, old-fashioned nastiness of the past. I have been spit at, pushed off the sidewalks, had my dogs shot at, and my property destroyed with chainsaws by foreign nationals here in Los Angeles, not to mention having my cars totalled by foreign nationals without drivers' licenses, and allround constant, general antipathy from people who refuse to even try to learn the most basic English. Backfist, I empathize. It hard to teach tolerance when people are physically attacking you. Los Angeles is not a nice place to be an American any more. I don't think your family and you would like it here either.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:36 PM

104 posts, read 573,914 times
This question was brought up last week. You won't see cross burnings. My son is in a bi-racial marriage and there is no problem. They go anywhere they want anytime and don't encounter a problem. I'm sure some people in any area (including the north) will use derrogeratory words when they think they are in like kind. Don't participate if you hear one and show them what you expect. No guarantees here nor in the north. It is just more hidden there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina