Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this thread be closed?
yes 27 71.05%
no 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:08 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 1,000,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
She is still in counselling and I guess she will be until she learns to control that explosive temper of hers.
In my opinion, this is exactly the mindset that causes the problem. Well intentioned though it may be, it's the root cause of what we're dealing with. Kids were well behaved back in the days when they knew that the consequences of their actions would result in them dealing with an adult who wasn't afraid to set them straight, hard and fast.

Today, misbehaving children get "counseling" or "therapy" or some other form of nonsense that serves nothing other than to indulge their tantrum.

What these kids need is a belt straight in the mouth and a body of adult figures who couldn't care less about their "feelings" when they do something wrong.

We failed when we stopped viewing the act of raising children as a process that required firm, finite discipline along side of unwavering love. Children are made of the same genetic stock today as they were in 1955. The difference is how we choose to deal with them. The outcome is what we see today.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:46 PM

787 posts, read 3,585,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1
In my opinion, this is exactly the mindset that causes the problem. Well intentioned though it may be, it's the root cause of what we're dealing with. Kids were well behaved back in the days when they knew that the consequences of their actions would result in them dealing with an adult who wasn't afraid to set them straight, hard and fast.

Today, misbehaving children get "counseling" or "therapy" or some other form of nonsense that serves nothing other than to indulge their tantrum.

What these kids need is a belt straight in the mouth and a body of adult figures who couldn't care less about their "feelings" when they do something wrong.

We failed when we stopped viewing the act of raising children as a process that required firm, finite discipline along side of unwavering love. Children are made of the same genetic stock today as they were in 1955. The difference is how we choose to deal with them. The outcome is what we see today.
While I have spanked my own children, trust me, Brianna could have cared less if I spanked her or not. And you have to understand as well, this child was not mine. She was a foster child. And when you are dealing with the school system with a foster child, you have to do what they tell you to do. I put her in therapy when she was 3 because she was so wild I thought she was hyperactive. Well, she wasn't. She is bipolar. And that is an entirely different situation in itself. And it is treated with medication. Her birth father is bipolar as well. Her birth father was only 15 when she was born. And he has a prison record as long as my arm now at the age of 27. I did what I thought was in her best interests and she seems to have benefited from it. Why she is still in therapy is an entirely different situation. I raised her from the time she was 10 months until she as nearly 6 years old. And to say the least Brianna was not amused when she was taken from us when we were the only parents that she really had ever known with the exception that we told her early on that I was not her birth mother and that Chris was not her birth father. Not that it made any difference. She called her mother by her first name for years before I got it across to her that this was her actual mother. We are now in a different situation. Her mother married last April and the "*****" that she is married to will not let us see Brianna. I have not seen her since last October although we write and talk on the phone with the mother's knowledge. And the mother has painted herself into a corner. If she bucks him, he will leave them homeless. So the one needed the belt is the step-father. Brianna has managed in spite of everything to be making A's and B's in school and is in the beta club. She can't help the mistakes that her mother made or the ones that I made. I had to deal with a very difficult situation. If I didn't spank her, her birth family complained that I was letting her get by with murder. If I did spank her, I was abusing her. So would you like to tell me what the heck I was suppose to do under those circumstances? I would match my parenting skills against anybody's. I did the best I could with the foster children I had until they went back to their mothers. Brianna was the longest I have ever had a foster child. The others were back home at least by a year and most of them were home within 6 months.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,719 times
I recently was fired from a job for speaking out about racism within the work place. Pizza Hut Davie Ave in Statesville, Deapite the general manager threatning to fire all employees who did not back her on this racial venture and to top it all off she has a multiple drug abuse problems. This type of behavior went on for almost eighteen months despite my constant reminding to my supervisors. I was afraid to tell anyone for job security or for lack of keeping my job. The word N----- wa used quite frequently to describe phone customers as well as walk in patrons as soon as the phone was hung up or the patron had left the store. I am really discouraged because I am a third year student with a b average and am costanly looking for a job, only to be let down because of the bad reference that my former employer is giving me. I do believe in GOD, am saved,and would love to put my skills that I have learned while getting my education to work. I feel that I can and would be an asset to any buisness if given the chance. If there is someone who is reading this and can help please let me know. God Bless!!

Old 05-13-2006, 11:19 AM

167 posts, read 945,984 times
Fantistasia--
That sounds terrible. If I were you, I wouldn't put that job on any future applications or on your resume. If they're going to give you a bad reference, there's no reason to list it. Since you're a student, you're not really expect to have a steady work history at this point. If a potential employer asks about the gap in your employment history, just say you were taking that time to concentrate on your studies.

You probably should seek some kind of justice for this... but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:32 AM

534 posts, read 3,114,145 times
I've lived coast to coast, north to south, and making racism a basis for relocation is incredibly naive and ignorant. You're going to find it everywhere you go, it all depends on the area/town you choose.

Anytime you have friction in certain communities, you're going to see racist tendencies regardless. Go into a poor area, and regardless of black/white/yellow/brown/other, you're going to feel tension if there is something someone doesn't like about you. You look 'rich' or you don't look 'poor enough' to be in the area, etc. Those are the kinds of things that will get people going. The slander/racism comes secondary.

I've been called 'whitey', 'cracker', 'f*g', whatever, in just about every place I've lived that bordered poverty. On the other hand I hardly ever had this issue in upscale areas I lived.

Pick an area because you feel comfortable there, and take people's opinions with a grain of salt.

Ashville is beautiful, considered living there once myself. Anywhere between there and Charlotte is nice but NO way would I live in Charlotte, not with kids.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,022,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantistasia
I recently was fired from a job for speaking out about racism within the work place. Pizza Hut Davie Ave in Statesville, Deapite the general manager threatning to fire all employees who did not back her on this racial venture and to top it all off she has a multiple drug abuse problems. This type of behavior went on for almost eighteen months despite my constant reminding to my supervisors. I was afraid to tell anyone for job security or for lack of keeping my job. The word N----- wa used quite frequently to describe phone customers as well as walk in patrons as soon as the phone was hung up or the patron had left the store. I am really discouraged because I am a third year student with a b average and am costanly looking for a job, only to be let down because of the bad reference that my former employer is giving me. I do believe in GOD, am saved,and would love to put my skills that I have learned while getting my education to work. I feel that I can and would be an asset to any buisness if given the chance. If there is someone who is reading this and can help please let me know. God Bless!!
Contact the North Carolina Department of Labor.

1-800-NC-Labor (1-800-625-2267)

Old 05-13-2006, 06:00 PM

104 posts, read 574,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie Mae
You all who think California is so great,.. you can have it! I'm OUT of here!
I am tired of going to the stores and seeing hoardes of mexicans with tons of kids in tow,. young mexican girls pushing baby strollers with no wedding rings on their fingers. If they are out during the day, they certainly aren't earning a living. Who's paying for all these offspring?
Ellie Mae

Don't look now, but unfortunately we are the fastest growning state in the nation for numbers of illegals. They are everywhere. A bus load a day is dropped off on the square in Charlotte according to the Charlotte Observer and without any visible means of support. Go figure!

Old 05-13-2006, 06:04 PM

104 posts, read 574,061 times
Default I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
Yep. And if what I've read is true, there are more Mexicans coming to NC than to any other state. Not that I have anything against that. I can't blame them for wanting a better life. I just hope most of them are doing it legally.
If they are illegal. If they are here legally, I don't have anything against them. But the legal ones are few and far between.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:10 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,748,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
Ellie Mae

Don't look now, but unfortunately we are the fastest growning state in the nation for numbers of illegals. They are everywhere. A bus load a day is dropped off on the square in Charlotte according to the Charlotte Observer and without any visible means of support. Go figure!
Carolina Girl, you have no idea what an illegal invasion is if you think NC is anywhere close to CA.
They are already established in CA popping out babbies 5,6 to a family. Every day thousands more come over the border.

A bus load a day, 100's more than that walk in per hour in CA.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:35 PM

146 posts, read 638,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
While Im not sure about crime in schools overall In Charlotte, I know that most of the "diverse" inner-city schools have alot more of the problems with students being in gangs, fighting, and weapons on campus. Sorry, but that is the truth. Even North Mecklenburg HS, which is actually in the southern part of Huntersville has a high minority population. They have had numerous fights where the police came and used the taser on a few students last semester (fall '05) because of all the fighting.
Have you noticed how the "diverse", usually a high percentage of minorities, schools have metal detectors as they enter their school. This is common in NY city, but in the less diverse suburbs its unheard of. I just shows the makeup of certain people, some just refuse to tow the line. Unfortunatley the ones that make the effort are intimidated by the thugs, who live amongst them. Backfist needs to have his kids read the papers and watch the news to see who is commiting the crimes, its almost always the same faces, if you know what I mean. Then they will understand why people may see them as a gansta something their culture apparentley enjoys. Good luck finding your diverse community, a pray that the kids will not be a victim thanks to your neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina