Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this thread be closed?
yes 27 71.05%
no 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 05:50 AM

311 posts, read 618,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie Mae
You all who think California is so great,.. you can have it! I'm OUT of here!
I am tired of going to the stores and seeing hoardes of mexicans with tons of kids in tow,. young mexican girls pushing baby strollers with no wedding rings on their fingers. If they are out during the day, they certainly aren't earning a living. Who's paying for all these offspring?
We are seeing more and more of that in NC as the mexican population is large here. The counties around Raleigh are extremely heavy, especially Johnston.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:35 AM

143 posts, read 485,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
I remember riots from the mid 1970's. It was over busing, wasn't it?
Yes, it was, and it was every bit as ugly as anything that happened in the Deep South. OTOH, I did sympathize with the parents who wanted their kids to attend neighborhood schools (a legitimate concern, IMHO) but there was lots of old-style racism with the throwing of objects at busses of black children, etc.

The intellectuals in Cambridge and Brookline let their attorneys do the dirty work for them while they pontificate to the unwashed masses. They're all for the Welfare State as long as it doesn't move next door to them.

In looking up demographics of nearly every city/town in NC, I find a refreshing (to me) amount of "diversity" compared with the Northeast, where they tend to talk it to death mostly.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,273,176 times
Quote:
We are seeing more and more of that in NC as the mexican population is large here.
Yep. And if what I've read is true, there are more Mexicans coming to NC than to any other state. Not that I have anything against that. I can't blame them for wanting a better life. I just hope most of them are doing it legally.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:40 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 999,572 times
Contrary to the stereotype perpetrated by the media, racism isn't a "region"- it's a concept.

I've traveled this country extensively, and without a doubt, the most pervasive racism I’ve ever encountered- without a close competitor- was in New York City, the most "ethnically diverse" community in the world. The television set would have you believe that places like this are racial utopias where everyone lives together, holding hands and working together. The reality of the matter is that everyone is fractured into their own communities and they don't exhibit even the slightest hesitation to slur anyone else... and it ain't just "white" people doing the slurring, either.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that in the United States, in the year 2006, "Racism" exists as an anecdote rather than a rule. There are people who are so bent on looking for "racism" in everything that they always seem to be finding it, even if it doesn't really exist. The white people doing most of the drum beating about "racism" do so as a matter of ideology while safely tucked away in the most lilywhite suburbs they can afford.

As another poster said... People support a lot of things on "principle" so long as they don't have to deal with it themselves.

Last edited by LM1; 05-10-2006 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-10-2006, 04:30 PM

104 posts, read 144,940 times
"The white people doing most of the drum beating about "racism" do so as a matter of ideology while safely tucked away in the most lilywhite suburbs they can afford."

Interesting. Buying what you can afford isn't bad unless you rent or are just making ends meet I guess

Old 05-10-2006, 05:00 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skout
"The white people doing most of the drum beating about "racism" do so as a matter of ideology while safely tucked away in the most lilywhite suburbs they can afford."

Interesting. Buying what you can afford isn't bad unless you rent or are just making ends meet I guess

I understand what LM1 is saying. The people who make a big deal about it and talk about "racial harmony" and want to live in a community with lots of all this diversity are the same ones who wouldnt dare venture out of their "comfort zone" or go to the "other side of the tracks" to do any business or live. They simply talk about it and it makes them feel better about themselves. Thats why whenever I hear on tv or read a post on here about diversity it is laughable. Remember that when you hear Ted Kennedy or Nancy Pelosi talk about that subject and then look at where they live

Old 05-10-2006, 05:00 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 999,572 times
Quote:
The operative word there was “lilywhite”, not “afford”.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:05 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,904 times
On a different note, racism is present in all forms. I can remember when I was 15 I went to the McDS in the bus terminal in Charlotte to get something to eat with my brother. Its no secret we were probably the only white faces anyone had ever seen there in a while. We both got wierd looks in our direction and I heard a few different comments said under peoples breath, "what do those white boys think they are doing here?"

So whether or not you count that as racism is up to you I guess. But if it was reversed, just think about it.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1
I've traveled this country extensively, and without a doubt, the most pervasive racism I’ve ever encountered- without a close competitor- was in New York City, the most "ethnically diverse" community in the world. The television set would have you believe that places like this are racial utopias where everyone lives together, holding hands and working together. The reality of the matter is that everyone is fractured into their own communities and they don't exhibit even the slightest hesitation to slur anyone else... and it ain't just "white" people doing the slurring, either.

I wrote earlier that this is true on Long Island too and I found that people mixed more at the places we went in NC and it was refreshing.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:17 PM

212 posts, read 1,064,024 times
People are people and have the same faults anywhere. Racism in NC is no worse than anywhere else and argueably better than many other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina