Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2020, 12:41 PM

6,165 posts, read 7,246,493 times

Advertisements

Cool fountain being put in place in the patio area at Bourbon Bowl bowling alley in downtown Greensboro. The link says a hot feature will be added to the fountain. The fountain and upscale bowling alley/restaurant is still under construction

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=117788473192

Old 08-14-2020, 01:38 PM

515 posts, read 254,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
The first renderings were released yesterday for the Atrium health partnership with Wake Forest medical school in Charlotte.
standard design, but this is needed here, hopefully Charlotte can continue to grow its profile in the higher ed field and education in general... it will never be at the level of the Triangle but if it can hold its own then it will be great

Old 08-14-2020, 07:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,205,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
You can't blame them. Scandinavia Design has been played out so hard it's become a pretty typical style now.

Just look at the brand new Oslo Main Library in Norway and I suspect the new City of Raleigh tower will be pretty familiar as well.
The Hunt Library, which some of us thinks this references, was completed in 2013 and designed by Snøhetta out of Norway. So, there you go.
Frankly, the Scandinavian have a long history of excellent design. I trust them more than firms that have put out trendy (now dated) towers.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,205,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Midtown Exchange finally has an update. The first 12 story building for the November announced project has had site plans filed. This will be going up at 1010 St. Alban's, which is right across the street from the Coastal Credit Union office building and directly behind the Hilton Hotel. In fact, it's right on the corner where the "Midtown Exchange" sign is at:

https://goo.gl/maps/mBjte17c6ehuVzpR8
Ground level retail included: (attached)
Here's the developers website with an animation of the full build-out concept. Let's see how this really happens.
https://midtownexchangenc.com/

Old 08-14-2020, 07:10 PM

597 posts, read 452,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
standard design, but this is needed here, hopefully Charlotte can continue to grow its profile in the higher ed field and education in general... it will never be at the level of the Triangle but if it can hold its own then it will be great

Charlotte will never be at the level of the Triad either in terms of higher education.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:01 AM

749 posts, read 1,319,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Charlotte will never be at the level of the Triad either in terms of higher education.
Do you feel better?

Old 08-15-2020, 07:42 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,407,284 times
Quote:

I don’t think anyone’s losing sleep over being on a level as Greensboro, Raleigh or Winston-Salem.

Greensboro/Winston can’t even attract or recruit talent to Krispy Kreme donuts so they had to move the jobs to Charlotte. So.....

Quote:

Krispy Kreme:

“What’s interesting about Charlotte is many people decided ‘I want to be in Charlotte and then I’m going to find a job.’ Historically it was ‘I am going to move where the jobs are,’ “ Zandhuis said. “Now there’s such growth that I’ll set up there and find a job there.”

Quote:

Truist

Oh, no. Not again.

Winston-Salem’s loss is Charlotte’s gain.

.... Yet, pessimistic thoughts surfaced quickly along the lines of “How can we compete anymore with Charlotte if it’s now taken two of our four Fortune 500 companies this century?”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/journal...206a9.amp.html

It’s so annoying hearing people talk about “levels” and “premier.” It’s North Carolina. Nothing is premier. There are no levels.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 08-15-2020 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-15-2020, 10:34 AM

more images of Greensboro's future downtown bowling alley.

Looks like neon is going where the name is. Before the redevelopment, the old owner had a lot of junk in the windows. Reminded me of Sanford and Son.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:07 AM

515 posts, read 254,459 times
Quote:

Wake Forest is very good, then there's Elon (borderline Triad), High Point U, A&T, and UNCG vs UNC-Charlotte (arguably number 3 in NC for a public university) then Davidson, Winthrop, Queens University, JCSU, and Wake Forest also has a large presence in the city. I think Charlotte takes this one.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post

Wake Forest is very good, then there's Elon (borderline Triad), High Point U, A&T, and UNCG vs UNC-Charlotte (arguably number 3 in NC for a public university) then Davidson, Winthrop, Queens University, JCSU, and Wake Forest also has a large presence in the city. I think Charlotte takes this one.
Not quite sure about that one. The Triad's schools are more prestigious than Charlotte's particularly Wake Forest which I'd have to say is the top university in the Triad. Greensboro has the second best engineering school in the state after NC State which is NC A&T. UNC Greensboro is the second oldest "UNC university" after UNC Chapel Hill. Overall The Triad's schools are better and are embedded in the regions history going back to the 1800s.

Major colleges and universities in the Triad.

Wake Forest University - Winston-Salem
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
NC A&T State University - Greensboro (largest HBCU in the United States by attendance)
Elon University - Elon
Elon University School of Law - Greensboro
The University of NC School of the Arts - Winston-Salem
Winston-Salem State University
High Point University
Greensboro College
Guilford College - Greensboro
Bennett College (one of two historically black womens colleges in the United States. The other is Spelman in Atlanta) - Greensboro
Salem College - Winston-Salem

Last edited by gsoboi78; 08-15-2020 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina