Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2020, 08:11 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
New Hotel in development in Leland. Tru Hotel will be Leland's 3rd hotel and shows the growth of the town and region...

New hotel planned in Leland | WilmingtonBiz

With the downtown riverfront Aloft Hotel in Wilmington about to top out, the downtown region (Leland is across the Brunswick river from Wilmington) continues its massive growth.
Leland has a lot of dense, walkable development which is wonderful.

But it's also hot and humid as all get out.

I wonder if there are any indigenous types of shade trees that could be planted planted in mass quantity to cool down some of those parking lots in big box shopping centers and all of the dense apartments and condos.

Trees are my favorite weapon in battling so much of the Earth's growing challenges.

How could those towns go wrong by encouraging more tree plantings?

That hotel wouldn't be approved in Raleigh nor NYC because it has too much stucco or EFIS which doesn't age well. More brick and less of that would help it staying appealing-looking for the long haul I think.

I'm not criticizing it, but people should be vigilant because developers will use the cheapest exterior cladding they can get away with. and later the town could be negatively affected by it in so many ways.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:49 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
A new episode of the History Channel's show It's How You Get There featuring Goldsboro and Wayne County will air this Sunday.

https://www.goldsborodailynews.com/2...o-this-sunday/

Old 08-12-2020, 03:55 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
Expansions continue despite Covid. 300 person expansion with existing fintech
Company in Charlotte.

https://www.businesstodaync.com/reti...-in-charlotte/

Old 08-12-2020, 04:07 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
The first renderings were released yesterday for the Atrium health partnership with Wake Forest medical school in Charlotte.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:21 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
The first renderings were released yesterday for the Atrium health partnership with Wake Forest medical school in Charlotte.
This reminds me of the Hunt Library at NC State.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Midtown Exchange finally has an update. The first 12 story building for the November announced project has had site plans filed. This will be going up at 1010 St. Alban's, which is right across the street from the Coastal Credit Union office building and directly behind the Hilton Hotel. In fact, it's right on the corner where the "Midtown Exchange" sign is at:

https://goo.gl/maps/mBjte17c6ehuVzpR8
Ground level retail included: (attached)
Attached Thumbnails
North Carolina development thread.-1010.png  

Old 08-13-2020, 10:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Not sure if this was discussed in here already, but some new owners of 33 acres worth of low density office/warehouses behind Raleigh's Wegmans have filed a rezoning request to allow for up to 20 stories mixed-use. How cool would that be? More mid-rise buildings visible from the highway is something I can get behind. With only trees and office buildings visible from the Beltline, I think it would look really unique compared to almost all the other metros in the country where the only highway scenery is parking lots, gas stations, fast food restaurants, access roads, etc. But man this whole midtown area is going to be completely transformed in 5-10 years. This potential project, Midtown Exchange finally getting going, the revamp of the JCP side of North Hills, then on down to the Ironworks project on Wake Forest @ Whitaker Mill, sheesh. I am sure glad I got into my house when I did! I just can't wait for more pedestrian/cyclist accommodations. Crossing the Beltline either on foot or bicycle is still tremendously nerveracking. Eventually there's supposed to be a ped bridge crossing 440 from Bush St. to Industrial St. Can't happen soon enough.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...evelopmen.html

Old 08-13-2020, 07:11 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This reminds me of the Hunt Library at NC State.
I had to do a double take as that was my initial reaction as well.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:31 AM

459 posts, read 372,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Midtown Exchange finally has an update. The first 12 story building for the November announced project has had site plans filed. This will be going up at 1010 St. Alban's, which is right across the street from the Coastal Credit Union office building and directly behind the Hilton Hotel. In fact, it's right on the corner where the "Midtown Exchange" sign is at:

https://goo.gl/maps/mBjte17c6ehuVzpR8
Ground level retail included: (attached)
Raleigh is going to have a corridor of high density from Downtown South to Downtown through Midtown to North Hills. Hope the northern route of the BRT accounts for this, frankly, given this predicament it would benefit the city to consider a '?' shaped underground subway (or skyway like Vancouver) between all these major points plus Crabtree area. If we say that's a 10 mile route and the average US cost of a subway line per mile is $500 million. That's about $5 billion dollars. That's very reasonable especially when you consider new highways (and adding lanes to old highways) cost billions of dollars and all they do is increase traffic via induced demand.

Maybe in a 100 years.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:37 AM

459 posts, read 372,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post

You can't blame them. Scandinavia Design has been played out so hard it's become a pretty typical style now.

Just look at the brand new Oslo Main Library in Norway and I suspect the new City of Raleigh tower will be pretty familiar as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina