Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 01:42 PM

459 posts, read 374,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Flights to Asia from Raleigh aren’t going to happen. Period.

Seoul & Tokyo are more likely than China though.

Charlotte crew getting defensive again. Don't worry guys you'll get non-stop flights to China one day--probably sooner than Raleigh.

Also with the rise of long distance, twin engine aircraft like the A350 and 787 you don't need to fill many seats but there is demand already from the thousands of Chinese students that fill the university classrooms and not to mention Lenovo, who's US headquarters is in the Triangle is a Chinese company.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:46 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Charlotte crew getting defensive again. Don't worry guys you'll get non-stop flights to China one day--probably sooner than Raleigh.

What? I just follow aviation very closely. More than development. It’s silly to think Raleigh would get a flight to China. It’s not a Raleigh vs. Charlotte thing.

Notice I said “Seoul & Tokyo before China.” That’s because if anyone starts service to Raleigh, it’s 100% not going to be American or United. If anyone flies to Asia, it’ll be delta. And Delta had a hub in Tokyo & is partners with Korean Air.

American Airlines/Japan Airlines would operate Asia-Philadelphia/Phoenix/Charlotte over Raleigh.

The only “Asian” service Philly has is A Qatar Airlines to Doha.

Atlanta, the worlds busiest airport has no flights to China but two destinations in Africa (Nigeria & South Africa)

Quote:

Delta Air Lines plans to relaunch flights from Atlanta to Shanghai, reinstating a crucial economic link between the Southeast and China.

Atlanta-based Delta aims to launch the service a year from now, in July 2018, with 291-seat Boeing 777-200LRs. The launch of the route is subject to government approval, and Delta is submitting its application Wednesday for the route.

There are currently no nonstop flights between Atlanta and China, and Delta only has two other routes between Atlanta and Asia: to Tokyo and Seoul. Delta relaunched service between Atlanta and Seoul last month.

Delta’s previous service from Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport to Shanghai struggled amid weak demand. Delta first launched Atlanta-Shanghai flights in 2008, but lost money on the operation and cut back on the route before discontinuing it altogether in 2012.

It’s very annoying to speak realistically and then have someone basically dismiss you as “Fake News” (or on this case “oh, Charlotte people’s jealous lolz” Over something so glaringly obvious that won’t happen...

If Atlanta, with the worlds largest airport metro over 5.7 million lost its flight to China originally and just relaunched Seoul.... Philly has over 6 million and only service to Asia is the Middle East, I’m not bashing Raleigh by saying it ain’t gonna happen.

Atlanta, Philly, Phoenix, etc can’t fill a flight to China, but UNC students can. Yeah. No.

Give the “Charlotte Crew” BS a rest and pull your head out of Sir Walton’s behind. There’s no amount of “Best place to raise a family” survey to make China doable from RDU.

Likewise, while more likely than Raleigh, Charlotte is never going to get a China flight neither. It would be to Tokyo. And that would be the only destination in Asia. No China.

*never in the foreseeable future.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:40 PM

Come on Charlotte485, let's not play dumb here, you're not that subtle or clever as you think you are.

First of all the runway won't be operational until 7 to 10 years from now. Secondly, why would Atlanta have direct flights to China and not North Carolina? Georgia lags behind North Carolina in major Chinese investments. In fact, North Carolina is one of the states with the most investment from China, only behind California and Texas. In fact, Georgia is not even in the top 5.

Thirdly, Chinese investments in the US is more recent compared to other countries so there will be tremendous opportunities in the near future, in fact, North Carolina just netted the Triangle Tyre Company, a Chinese company that will initially invest over $600 million into the North Carolina economy with a plant in Kingsboro.

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/05/19/the-...nvestment.html

In fact, North Carolina has added more Chinese-owned jobs than any other state since 2000.

"The creation of 15,000 jobs in North Carolina by Chinese companies since 2000 is more than any other state, topping California’s 8,300, says New York City-based Rhodium Group LLC, which tracks international investment. The state ranked third nationwide in dollar value of Chinese investment for that period, while another source estimates the Asian nation’s representatives spent $13.6 billion from 2006 to mid-2016, says Kim Genardo, spokeswoman for the N.C. Department of Commerce. Chinese investors have acquired about 60 companies here.

North Carolina is ardently courting China. N.C. Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler has led three trade missions, the latest including about 50 business leaders, while Commerce Secretary John Skvarla has led others. “We’ve invested a lot of time and energy over there,” Troxler says."

China

China in the future will be one of the largest investors in the US and North Carolina has decent slice of that pie compared to itself peers.

So please. Why would Atlanta not having a non-stop flight to China mean that CLT or RDU won't?

Old 12-27-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:

So please. Why would Atlanta not having a non-stop flight to China mean that CLT or RDU won't?

I’m not going to speak on behalf of Raleigh because I don’t want you getting butt hurt, maybe one of your same & rational RDU posters can answer that. But I will say, Delta has a 1000 flight hub.... it still didn’t maintain a China flight. Charlotte is like, 80% connecting traffic. Our flights to Rio de Janeiro were full. PDEW between CLT & Rio were 4 people (that’s including all the people who chose to even connect on another airline.) But after the American merger, Miami & Dallas made more sense. My point to that is, The connecting traffic in ATL alone is much more powerful than local demand from ATL, CLT or RDU.

As far as CLT goes, it doesn’t have a flight because the demand is way too small and it’s not ideal for connections.

Amsterdam is the next logical step for RDU.

And I highly doubt RDU or CLT has the PDEW to China that PHX/PHL/ATL does. But whatevs.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:36 PM

Doug Parker on flights to Asia (hubs in NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, DC, Phoenix, Charlotte)

From an article: “American Airlines CEO says money losing Asia routes are investment in future”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ment-in-future

Quote:

Speaking after ceremonies marking the launch of flights to Hong Kong and Shanghai, China, Parker acknowledged that American's Asian routes have historically had a tough time making money. But Asia is a market that American has to be in, he said.

“It’s an extremely important part of the globe,” Parker said. “We’re a global carrier. It’s an area that’s strategically important to us. So we view them as investments for the long term.”

Quote:

With Wednesday’s launch, American now has 10 daily flights between the U.S. and Asia, with five of them operating out of D/FW — two to Tokyo and one each to Hong Kong, Shanghai and Seoul, South Korea. The carrier also has daily service to Tokyo and Shanghai from Chicago and Los Angeles and a daily flight between Beijing and Chicago.

Quote:

“Our current [asian] routes have not been, over time, profitable as of yet. We hope they will be,” Parker said.

Dallas, the 2nd largest hub in the World, 3rd busiest airport, home of the worlds largest airlines just got flights to China 3 years ago. And they lose money.

But please show me news article after article of rankings and irrelevant stuff that shows why Raleigh will be a success in 7 years over Dallas, Philly, ATL, etc

How dare I be a “Charlotte crew” doubting the great Raleigh

Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Doug Parker on flights to Asia (hubs in NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, DC, Phoenix, Charlotte)

From an article: “American Airlines CEO says money losing Asia routes are investment in future”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ment-in-future

Dallas, the 2nd largest hub in the World, 3rd busiest airport, home of the worlds largest airlines just got flights to China 3 years ago. And they lose money.

But please show me news article after article of rankings and irrelevant stuff that shows why Raleigh will be a success in 7 years over Dallas, Philly, ATL, etc

How dare I be a “Charlotte crew” doubting the great Raleigh
Dallas is 11th in the world for passenger traffic, mostly as a hub, because Americans are cattle to American carriers. Are you going to tell wealthy Chinese executives to change flights multiple times to reach his destination? Of course not, that is why Air China and Delta fly daily non-stop flights Houston. Where the majority of Chinese investment in Texas is contained. And once the new Beijing Daxing Mega Airport opens in 2019, probably knocking out Atlanta from the number one spot, Chinese airlines will be expanding US service greatly. Wise of Dallas to take a bold first step towards the future.

Put as many words in my mouth as you like, it's your insecurity that is most vocal.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:01 PM

7,078 posts, read 12,363,670 times
Quote:
FAA has given RDU the nod to expand the airport. Once completed it will have the longest runway in North Carolina, a newly integrated car rental hub, redesigned central parking, 23 new terminals, and added routes to China in time for all the heavy Chinese investment NC is getting. At the cost of just over 2 billion dollars.

Timeline will be slow, around 5 to 7 years.

FAA approves RDU plans for expansion, new runway and rental car center | News & Observer
It's only fair to note that your link mentions an 11,500 ft runway. It also states that environmental studies "would begin soon". This news came on December 21, 2017...
Quote:
VanAuken said the environmental studies for the new 11,500-foot runway would begin soon. It will be built parallel to the current 10,000-foot runway on the western side of the airport and will help the airport attract more long-distance flights
On April 12, 2017, the environmental studies began on a potential 12,000 ft runway at CLT...

Quote:
Charlotte’s Airport Capacity Enhancement Plan recommends a 12,000-foot-long runway be completed by 2023. The preferred location for the new runway would be 1,480 feet west of the existing Runway 18/36 centerline. When the new runway is complete, CLT will have four parallel north/south runways. Runway 5/23 will be closed after the new runway is operational.
FAA Begins EIS for New Runway at Fifth Busiest Airport

Another thing to remember about runway length is that elevation is a factor. The higher a city's altitude; the longer the runways need to be (higher elevations have "thinner" air). In Denver, every runway is 12,000 or better.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denv...tional_Airport

Even Asheville needs 7,000/8,000 ft of runway for those small planes that take off there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashe...gional_Airport

I think it's great that the Triangle is expanding its airport. Companies love regions with decent air travel options. However, it looks like Clt will have the state's longest runway by 2023.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Dallas is 11th in the world for passenger traffic, mostly as a hub, because Americans are cattle to American carriers. Are you going to tell wealthy Chinese executives to change flights multiple times to reach his destination? Of course not, that is why Air China and Delta fly daily non-stop flights Houston. Where the majority of Chinese investment in Texas is contained. And once the new Beijing Daxing Mega Airport opens in 2019, probably knocking out Atlanta from the number one spot, Chinese airlines will be expanding US service greatly. Wise of Dallas to take a bold first step towards the future.

Put as many words in my mouth as you like, it's your insecurity that is most vocal.

I’m not putting words in your mouth and it’s not insecurity, lol.

You obviously have no clue about the aviation industry. No clue how it works.

You live in the fantasy of your rankings list. CNBC articles. It brings you comfort. But it won’t bring the Carolina’s a flight to China. (I also find it odd you think in regards to airport, I personally would be insecure! One of the worlds busiest airports with long haul flights to Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, 2x London, Paris, Dublin, Munich & Frankfurt....)

If some of the worlds largest, excuse me, if the worlds largest, 2nd largest and 3rd largest hub For the worlds largest and second largest airline with metro populations of 7.5 million and around 6 million just
Got flights to China and they lose money.... No airline is going to touch Raleigh or Charlotte.

Delta does not fly Houston to China. You do realize IAH is a United hub. Delta flying between IAD-PEK just
Shows how little you know of aviation.

Quote:

With 30 years of service to China, United operates more nonstop U.S.-China flights to more cities in China than any other U.S. airline:

Beijing - nonstop flights from Chicago, New York/Newark, San Francisco and Washington/Dulles;
Shanghai - nonstop flights from Chicago, Guam, Los Angeles, New York/Newark and San Francisco;
Chengdu - nonstop flights from San Francisco;
Xi'an – nonstop seasonal flights from San Francisco May 8 to Oct. 27, 2016 (westbound);
Hong Kong - nonstop flights from Chicago, Guam, Ho Chi Minh City, New York/Newark, San Francisco and Singapore.

Outside of West Coast, Detroit & NYC, it’s a tough Market.

So we have markets around 7 million metro that supports a daily flight to China (2 for Dallas that are losing
Money and just started after it was canceled. Atlanta starts next year again after it was suspended for losing so much money.) AAL & DAL are willing to burn through money to develop an Asian network to be competitive with United who has San Fran & LA on lock. Delta is building up Seattle for Asia & Detroit is another hub that suppprts Asia. AALdesperately needs DFW-Asia to work because it’s weak compared to the others. No airline needs Raleigh to work because it’s just a spoke city.

I said Amsterdam was the next likely Long haul destination from Raleigh (a destination CLT doesn’t have, mind you). Iceland (another place CLT doesn’t have) would be a good
For from RDU on WOW and is completely doable. But.......

IM JUST INSECURE.... lol. Me oh my, I’m so envious. Our new runway opened, and they said the same thing btw about Asia.

If you think Raleigh airport can go up against the largest airline hubs and cities with metros nearly 4 times the CSA size because CNBC ranks it fastest growing tech city where your dollar goes the furthest, Live in the same
Fantasy world where some High Point resident thinks High Point is more
Known than Greensboro and Winston-Salem (because people come from al over for the furniture mart)

Anyway, Charlotte definitely can’t make Anything to Asia (except maybe Tokyo but PHL, PHX and maybe even MIA would get it first). Dallas and Atlanta struggled
And will come back again. Philly can’t. But RLeigh, ok.

I don’t expect you to agree that China is out of the question but Amsterdam & Iceland are likely. I expect you to continue to talk about being insecure (the worlds 5th busiest airport by take off/landings or 9th busiest by passengers. Beijing is 5th.) it’s like someone from Winston saying CLT is insecure because BB&T is headquartered in CLT over Winston. BB&T would be awesome to have. But... Banking isn’t an area for CLT to be insecure at...

BTW, our new terminal “A North” is opening. Will allow Americans most profitable hub to grow further.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 12-27-2017 at 08:29 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 08:47 PM

7,078 posts, read 12,363,670 times
Yeah, I don't expect flights to China from NC anytime soon. There simply isn't a need here for those flights.

What's interesting is that the new control tower at CLT (currently under construction) will be the Nation's second tallest behind ATL.
Quote:
The new Charlotte tower will be the second tallest tower in the National Airspace System after the 398-foot-tall tower at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
Press Release – FAA Breaks Ground for New Air Traffic Control Tower at Charlotte Douglas International Airport

Old 12-27-2017, 10:37 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,737,011 times
Wow ya'll are getting all rustled about one news post about RDU. Everything always has to be a competition apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina