Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 01:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,038,747 times

Advertisements

Yeah what is actually happening in Gboro? Ballpark tower, and i guess this glass wrapped parking deck? And then the Westin and its parking deck are approved but may be sued by Cone Denim? And then i know theres been all these rumors or plans for the 28 story tower above the glass parking deck but still no renders or credible word on what will make that tower go up? And any word on if they do in fact plan on stretching it to 561 feet still? I dont think theres been any actual word on 561ft in a long time.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,969,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Yeah what is actually happening in Gboro? Ballpark tower, and i guess this glass wrapped parking deck? And then the Westin and its parking deck are approved but may be sued by Cone Denim? And then i know theres been all these rumors or plans for the 28 story tower above the glass parking deck but still no renders or credible word on what will make that tower go up? And any word on if they do in fact plan on stretching it to 561 feet still? I dont think theres been any actual word on 561ft in a long time.
Your guess is as good as mine, because I have no clue about what happen to 561...and I run the GSO development thread lol.

From what GSOboi was saying is that the glass parking structure/tower will be 561...but that can't be true, because the glass parking deck is 8 stories, and the office/hotel building going on top is 20-22 stories... that will not equall to 561..unless it has one hell of a crazy spire built on it.

Honestly I don't even think about 561 anymore, as of now that's a dream from a credible developer.

So to update the list. Of actual projects that have passed city voting for actual contractors to begin immediately.

11 story Ball park tower, which has found a major tenant, passed city/contractor/funding voting Dec 19th

8 story glass BelleMeade deck(mixed use first floor), with a 20-22 story mixed use building on top. For a total of 29 or 30 floors.. passed city/contractor/funding voting Dec 19th

6 story elm eugene deck(mixed use first floor) with a 12 story Westin on top for a total of 18 floors has passed city/contractor/funding/demolition of historical property. voting Dec 19th. (Contractors will be working with cone denim venue)

GPAC finally passed the damn contractor voting Dec 19th.

8 story Hampton Inn & suits also passed voting/contractor/funding Dec 19th.

There was a rendering of a unannounced 14 story office building

That's all I know so far.

Last edited by YinXyang; 12-20-2017 at 06:32 PM..

Old 12-20-2017, 10:06 PM

6,168 posts, read 7,258,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Your guess is as good as mine, because I have no clue about what happen to 561...and I run the GSO development thread lol.

From what GSOboi was saying is that the glass parking structure/tower will be 561...but that can't be true, because the glass parking deck is 8 stories, and the office/hotel building going on top is 20-22 stories... that will not equall to 561..unless it has one hell of a crazy spire built on it.

Honestly I don't even think about 561 anymore, as of now that's a dream from a credible developer.

So to update the list. Of actual projects that have passed city voting for actual contractors to begin immediately.

11 story Ball park tower, which has found a major tenant, passed city/contractor/funding voting Dec 19th

8 story glass BelleMeade deck(mixed use first floor), with a 20-22 story mixed use building on top. For a total of 29 or 30 floors.. passed city/contractor/funding voting Dec 19th

6 story elm eugene deck(mixed use first floor) with a 12 story Westin on top for a total of 18 floors has passed city/contractor/funding/demolition of historical property. voting Dec 19th. (Contractors will be working with cone denim venue)

GPAC finally passed the damn contractor voting Dec 19th.

8 story Hampton Inn & suits also passed voting/contractor/funding Dec 19th.

There was a rendering of a unannounced 14 story office building

That's all I know so far.
Where did you here about an unannounced 14 story office tower? And what does it look like?

Also it would take a 10 story spire to push that tower to 561 feet. That's realistic considering the pyramid top on the Lincoln Financial Tower is 8 stories and it doesn't look crazy at all. An extra 2 stories probably won't make it look crazy. It's all in how the spire is designed.

That would mean if the tower above the deck is Project 561, it would be equivalent to a 38 to 40 story building with the spire. At the city council meeting Roy Carroll referred to his tower project above the deck as a "legacy" project and will be special for Greensboro. He almost stop short of saying what I believe is project 561. City staff said the tower would be dominated by hotel and office space which is in line with what is proposed for Project 561. Add to the fact that Carroll said 561 would be contemporary, the deck just happens to be a contemporary glass structure.

here is the list in reference to the glass deck. what you see circled in red is the tower planned to be built on top of the deck. the next one below it is the ballpark tower/

renderings of the four big downtown Greensboro projects that will be under construction in 2018. 8 story glass parking deck to include a 20 story mixed use tower/ Aloft hotel on top.

News video link on downtown construction.

http://myfox8.com/2017/12/20/2018-wi...wn-greensboro/

Top right rendering: Ballpark tower
Lower left rendering: Westin Hotel and parking deck
Lower right rendering: 3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-20-2017 at 11:03 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 AM

I wonder if the tower above the deck will be taller than 20 stories. The Rhino times reports than in addition to the hotel and office, Carroll may add residential above that on the top floors. The Aloft will have 150 rooms which means at least 8 stories would be set a side for the hotel. If it were 20 stories that leaves 12 stories. Seems like he would need more than 12 stories to put a sufficient amount of residential in the tower when you factor in the office space.

Carroll's comments:

"When talking about what he planned to build over the parking deck, Carroll said, “It’s going to be something really special. I’ve reached the point in my career where I can do what we call ‘legacy projects.’” He said in January or February, he hoped to be able to announce what the plans were for the building on top of the parking deck."

Parking Deck City Council Public Hearing

Old 12-21-2017, 08:13 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,038,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I wonder if the tower above the deck will be taller than 20 stories. The Rhino times reports than in addition to the hotel and office, Carroll may add residential above that on the top floors. The Aloft will have 150 rooms which means at least 8 stories would be set a side for the hotel. If it were 20 stories that leaves 12 stories. Seems like he would need more than 12 stories to put a sufficient amount of residential in the tower when you factor in the office space.

Carroll's comments:

"When talking about what he planned to build over the parking deck, Carroll said, “It’s going to be something really special. I’ve reached the point in my career where I can do what we call ‘legacy projects.’” He said in January or February, he hoped to be able to announce what the plans were for the building on top of the parking deck."

Parking Deck City Council Public Hearing
Im not arguing that something special is planned for that glass deck. My gut just has me feeling weird about what it will actually turn out to be. My issue is, if Carrol was so public about his ambitions for project 561, why in the world has nothing been said about it for months(year?)?? I get that everything hints towards it, by why are there hints in the first place? Its just going to feel pretty crappy to everyone hyped up for that massive project if it doesnt come to fruition.

Is there anything detailing who would anchor the office space for a tower like that? Seems like if its so close to being crane ready then why hasnt there been a press release on someone filling that office space. That will without a doubt be the most premium space in Greensboro, seems like that would be all over Greensboro local news. Adding residential seems pretty ambitious as well. Carroll at Bellemeade isnt even done yet and now there will be super premium residential also flooding the market at the same time? And yet there isnt necessarily a flooding of people to the Gboro market.

Man idk just seems like a lot to pull off. Im not trying to be a downer on it either, i think it would be awesome for Gboro. Just not sure if its realistic and with the silence on real info planned besides the Aloft, it makes me wonder if indeed something more realistic is planned instead of 561.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Im not arguing that something special is planned for that glass deck. My gut just has me feeling weird about what it will actually turn out to be. My issue is, if Carrol was so public about his ambitions for project 561, why in the world has nothing been said about it for months(year?)?? I get that everything hints towards it, by why are there hints in the first place? Its just going to feel pretty crappy to everyone hyped up for that massive project if it doesnt come to fruition.

Is there anything detailing who would anchor the office space for a tower like that? Seems like if its so close to being crane ready then why hasnt there been a press release on someone filling that office space. That will without a doubt be the most premium space in Greensboro, seems like that would be all over Greensboro local news. Adding residential seems pretty ambitious as well. Carroll at Bellemeade isnt even done yet and now there will be super premium residential also flooding the market at the same time? And yet there isnt necessarily a flooding of people to the Gboro market.

Man idk just seems like a lot to pull off. Im not trying to be a downer on it either, i think it would be awesome for Gboro. Just not sure if its realistic and with the silence on real info planned besides the Aloft, it makes me wonder if indeed something more realistic is planned instead of 561.
Im not sure I understand what you mean by more realistic. Is it because of the height? If it were a 40 story tower with mostly office space, id be skeptical but thats not the case. It can achieve the height of 561 ft largly because it will sit on a deck and have a spire which would account for about half the height of the tower. The floors will be divided amomg hotel, office space and probably residential. That building layout is feasible for Greensboro. Just because the structure itself would be 561 feet tall that doesnt mean its not feasible. Some would say Carroll would be cheating his way to 561 feet with the deck and spire. More than likely he has enough of it set in stone for the city of Greensboro to move forward with a 1, 000 space deck that can support a tower on top. Without Carroll's project there would be no need for that many parking spaces and the city would not spend extra money on a foundation that can support a tower on top. They would not commit city resources for a "visionary proposal" that may or may not happen. We know a tower is being built on top of the deck because Aloft has also committed and has an opening date of 2020 on its website. As far as residential. There is a high demand for it even with Carroll at Bellemeade coming online. Keep in mind that Durham and Winston-Salem have just as many if not more residential projects in the works for their downtowns. One thing about Roy Carroll, when he plans a project, it typically happens. Its because he knows the market better than many developers who have planned projects that fell through. Carroll is just that kind of developer that doesn't make announcements until He's ready to pull the trigger.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-21-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,416,343 times
It’s really nothing to understand about being skeptical. Charlotte could easily have aborbed an 70 floor office tower and still some perfectly fine. The amount of office space built and U/C is way more office than a 70 floor office tower.

That said. Wouldn’t you visit a project that tall in CLT with skepticism? Believe me. CLT, along with plenty of cities have had disappointments with hints, leads, etc etc

Trump Charlotte was the most recent heart break.

One I still wish would’ve been built, and it was close and during the time First Union & BofA were jockeying for Who had a bigger penis, the First Union Tower

No matter what “Carrol” wants to do. I’m sure he has some investors & lenders to listen to and market forces to deal with.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It’s really nothing to understand about being skeptical. Charlotte could easily have aborbed an 70 floor office tower and still some perfectly fine. The amount of office space built and U/C is way more office than a 70 floor office tower.

That said. Wouldn’t you visit a project that tall in CLT with skepticism? Believe me. CLT, along with plenty of cities have had disappointments with hints, leads, etc etc

Trump Charlotte was the most recent heart break.

One I still wish would’ve been built, and it was close and during the time First Union & BofA were jockeying for Who had a bigger penis, the First Union Tower

No matter what “Carrol” wants to do. I’m sure he has some investors & lenders to listen to and market forces to deal with.
Again you cant judge a tower by its height. What matters are usable floors. While Project 561 would be the height of an almost 40 story building, it would only have about 20 usable floors. That is consistant with the rest of the tall towers in downtown Greensboro which range between 16 and 21 floors. What makes it even more feasible is that we are not talking about 20 floors of office space. Again a 150 room hotel would take up 7 to 8 floors. The rest would be split between office and residential. So really you are talking about roughly 6 floors of office space. Its not a challenge to fill up 6 floors of office space in the Greensboro office market. Mixed use towers are much easier to build than single use towers. Its not a matter of if it will happen. Something is going to happen on the top of that deck and based on the number of floors, whether its Project 561 or not, it would be Greensboro's new tallest building. But all clues point to Project 561. The city would not make that kind of investment on a deck that large without Carroll's tower so even though the public may not know whats happening, the city does and information is slowly leaking out about it.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-21-2017 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 04:48 PM

459 posts, read 375,739 times
The reason why most of North Carolina doesn't have cool looking towers is because most developers are not from North Carolina and really don't care for this place. They just see a booming state and try to cash in. That's why most of these towers are plain jane, no-frills square boxes. It's the most budget design to maximize profits. With the exception of Bank of America and a couple of others, no other company HQ'ed in North Carolina needs a big enough phallic symbol to house office workers and most companies that have secondary offices in North Carolina are doing it because it's cheap and a fancy tower is not a consideration.

That First Union Tower looks dope. I like it better than the BOA tower.

561 Tower is probably feasible due to it being mixed use. The future N&O tower or tower complex will be mix-use (office, retail, hotel, condos) so it could easily be around 30 to 40 stories or even taller. That being said, does this Carrol guy really want to pony up tens of millions of dollars just to put a crown on a tower?

Old 12-21-2017, 04:53 PM

While Im not a fan of Trump, that Trump Tower in Charlotte would have really looked cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina