Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2021, 12:42 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
But don't get upset, that's not an insult. Altanta is stranded in the middle of the deep South, which isn't exactly an advantage.
That is easily among Atlanta's primary advantages and is why it grew to be such a huge logistics and transportation hub and the commercial and cultural capital of the Southeast in the first place.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:53 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
Some great drone shots courtesy of Skysite Images and
FireJudyRose. Excited to see what's next. A lot of which is happening just out-of-shot in these photos.

The Walter looks to be on about floor 20/35.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:54 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
https://www.wraltechwire.com/2021/03...s-of-new-jobs/

Biogen doubling down on the Park with a $200 million expansion.

Also those are some nice pics. Can’t wait to see the Walter once it hits its full height. I remember when that round bank was the height of NH swankiness.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:59 PM

405 posts, read 317,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
They haven't yet been built and even afterwards, that is miniscule to what's been built just in Atlanta's midtown and West midtown that turned into it's own city overnight. It's a dense cluster of big buildings non of which existed a few years ago.

Trent please let me know which aspects I'm overstating about Atlanta or Charlotte. To contest what I said, you must travel to Atlanta and Charlotte frequently and know the scope of all that's been built recently.

Crabtree Valley looks small town. I wanted that 40 story tower to be built to lift Raleigh's mall area to the next level.

Around Lenox Square Mall in Atlanta, the skyline is bigger and taller than 755 of America's biggest cities.

At a few spots very briefly while driving in Atlanta, Buckhead's line of towers reminds me of the West Side Hwy in New York looking at the The Heights in Jersey City. Towers soaring over the cliffs by the Hudson.
You obviously didn’t read what I wrote in Post # 5085 – Atlanta’s Midtown and West Midtown areas are much larger than North Hills in terms of land mass and development. My metrics were based solely upon dollars spent, or will be spent, in a much smaller amount of land, by two single developers. According to Kane, the NH Main redevelopment will be completed in two years, and the NH Innovation District has already started, so these are hardly pipe dreams. Don’t know the timeline of the Midtown Exchange but the first building is under construction. As you correctly mentioned, Midtown Atlanta has been booming for years now and is like a city itself.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:03 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
That park in North Hills sort of bothers me. I think it just needs to be wider. It catches a ton of shade every time I have visited (which I imagine when the sun is directly over it’s not shady. Feels a little too jammed in (Not trying to be negative, it’s just something that stuck with me even before these pictures$

The pictures are very nice overall.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That park in North Hills sort of bothers me. I think it just needs to be wider. It catches a ton of shade every time I have visited (which I imagine when the sun is directly over it’s not shady. Feels a little too jammed in (Not trying to be negative, it’s just something that stuck with me even before these pictures$

The best concert places have shade. South’s too hot for direct sunlight. You’re not completely wrong though, the shade can be a bit much. But all things considered, eh.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:55 PM

405 posts, read 317,845 times
According to a News & Observer article coming out in tomorrow’s paper, the Salisbury Square development by Dominion Realty Partners will be starting soon:

"Raleigh developer Dominion Realty Partners, which brought the FNB Tower to Raleigh’s skyline in 2019, is planning to build a high-rise tower project next to the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Raleigh.

Site work is in progress for Salisbury Square, which will include towers and mid-rise buildings with housing, hotel, retail, office and parking space.

One tower will have 242 upscale apartments with office and retail space, and the other tower will have 270 apartments with a rooftop pool, according to JDavis Architects, which is working on the project.

Developers propose building two 20-story towers, a six-story hotel with 150 rooms, and a four-story building with 63 units of affordable housing, with an attached parking deck, according to JDavis and plans filed with the city."

Old 03-04-2021, 05:14 PM

I thought for a minute that was the parking lots in front of Memorial, but I see it is the spot next to the auditorium.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:16 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Yeah you're not wrong. The south and west sides have become quite overwhelmed by enough height to cause a lot of shade for a good portion of the day. But at the same time, it is a nice relief during the summer.

I see what you are saying about the park width too. Now that there are so many more people living there then when it was first built, I would imagine it gets cramped and feels too small pretty quickly. Particularly when events are taking place. Though the next expansion of NHs won't be as densely built I actually think it will be for the best. More park and recreation room will be a plus to take pressure off everything being centered on the tiny park in the main district.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:59 PM

459 posts, read 373,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I thought for a minute that was the parking lots in front of Memorial, but I see it is the spot next to the auditorium.
Here's what it will look like once it's all built.

I doubt it will be built quickly, probably is very long phases.

121 Faye is supposed to start construction in late 2021 too but it's already March and no demolish permits yet? No flurry of paperwork filing?

Also agree. I will stop making comparisons between the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina