Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 03:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,262,917 times

Advertisements

@Charlotte485, you have to admit that the Triangle is a huge anomaly when it comes to its MSA & CSA designations. It's really evident if you think about the fact that Raleigh's outer loop isn't even entirely within its own MSA. While many MSAs include all counties that border the core county, Raleigh's MSA doesn't get to count 4 of the 6 that do, including Durham & Chatham Counties, both of which have citizens of Raleigh and Cary in them. Even at the CSA level, the Triangle doesn't get to count Harnett county, which is just south of Wake; that belongs to Fayetteville.
Sure it's the official numbers, but those numbers aren't indicative of how the Triangle area actually lives. For example, there's no way that Durham has the success it has with DPAC and DBAP without patrons from Wake. There's also no way that RDU is what it is without serving Durham & Chapel Hill. The TV market is also singular to the Triangle as a whole.
In the end, Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, Greensboro and Winston-Salem aren't as isolated from other core MSA cities as Charlotte is, and that creates an MSA conundrum that diminishes all of them statistically to one extent or another.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:55 PM

4,191 posts, read 2,910,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You’re more than free to google Metropolitan Areas and google what the Metropolitan Area of Raleigh is.
The city of Raleigh is located in 2 MSA’s incidentally.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:23 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,397,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Thanks for not mentioning that Raleigh's MSA is only 60% of the real metro area that was all one MSA for decades until 10 or 20 years ago.

Please use the CSAs if going to the effort of comparing the two.
Thanks to covid-19 they both have the GDP of the Moon so I'm not sure why anybody is comparing and bragging right now....

Old 03-28-2020, 06:12 PM

597 posts, read 456,763 times
Isn't there a separate thread discussing CSA's and MSA's? My goodness.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:11 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,262,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The city of Raleigh is located in 2 MSA’s incidentally.
As are Durham and Cary. The three largest municipalities in the the Triangle (and #s 2,4 and 7 in the state) all span two different MSAs.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:49 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,330,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Thanks for not mentioning that Raleigh's MSA is only 60% of the real metro area that was all one MSA for decades until 10 or 20 years ago.

Please use the CSAs if going to the effort of comparing the two.
Why would I use CSA numbers in a post about MSAs? Nowhere in my post was there a comparison made, either. But per your request, the 2019 Raleigh CSA is still smaller than Charlotte’s MSA was in 2010.

Go argue with the US Census, you aren’t changing reality here, just showing your insecurities.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:42 AM

5,913 posts, read 5,724,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
@Charlotte485, you have to admit that the Triangle is a huge anomaly when it comes to its MSA & CSA designations. It's really evident if you think about the fact that Raleigh's outer loop isn't even entirely within its own MSA. While many MSAs include all counties that border the core county, Raleigh's MSA doesn't get to count 4 of the 6 that do, including Durham & Chatham Counties, both of which have citizens of Raleigh and Cary in them. Even at the CSA level, the Triangle doesn't get to count Harnett county, which is just south of Wake; that belongs to Fayetteville.
Sure it's the official numbers, but those numbers aren't indicative of how the Triangle area actually lives. For example, there's no way that Durham has the success it has with DPAC and DBAP without patrons from Wake. There's also no way that RDU is what it is without serving Durham & Chapel Hill. The TV market is also singular to the Triangle as a whole.
In the end, Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, Greensboro and Winston-Salem aren't as isolated from other core MSA cities as Charlotte is, and that creates an MSA conundrum that diminishes all of them statistically to one extent or another.
Harnett has always been a Fayetteville county. Even if the numbers were to validate OMB's threshold for CSA inclusion, the cultural, economic, and characteristic qualities of Harnett would still make it a Fayetteville county...

I've been in and out of NC for 15 years. The only real pull towards The Triangle is in Angier and the northern tips of Harnett thereabouts. It's been that way as long as I can remember; if Harnett were included they'd might as well throw the entire Fayetteville metro in Triangle CSA since it's all in the Triangle media market; at times it seems that's what Triangle residents on here want anyway (to include everything within The Triangle's media market to be considered as "Metro Triangle")...

Old 03-30-2020, 05:43 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,042,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Harnett has always been a Fayetteville county. Even if the numbers were to validate OMB's threshold for CSA inclusion, the cultural, economic, and characteristic qualities of Harnett would still make it a Fayetteville county...

I've been in and out of NC for 15 years. The only real pull towards The Triangle is in Angier and the northern tips of Harnett thereabouts. It's been that way as long as I can remember; if Harnett were included they'd might as well throw the entire Fayetteville metro in Triangle CSA since it's all in the Triangle media market; at times it seems that's what Triangle residents on here want anyway (to include everything within The Triangle's media market to be considered as "Metro Triangle")...
I mostly disagree. And not that I really care to claim Harnett for any imaginary bragging rights or for bloated numbers I just think you are over exaggerating Fayettevilles influence in the region.

I spent a good number of years when I first moved down here in the Willow Springs/Benson area. Still to this day I know personally a large number of people that live in Angier, Lillington, and quite a bit farther south yet still work in Raleigh. Dunn I would even say is 50/50 at this point with some local businesses long adopting the "Triangle" name.

That is only increasing as well. With everything getting more and more expensive around Raleigh people are moving further and further away to find affordable and sizeable land. Choosing to put up with the commute. 540s completion will probably explode that trend as well. Fayetteville may be closer to a lot of Harnett communities but it doesn't have anywhere near the gravitation pull Raleigh and the rest of the Triangle has.

Last edited by Trent Y; 03-30-2020 at 06:01 PM..

Old 03-30-2020, 06:50 PM

6,174 posts, read 7,282,259 times
Downtown Greensboro

Can't wait until things get back to normal.

Lettering above the main entrance of the Tanger Center has been installed.

Hampton Inn and Suites

Project Slugger

Last edited by gsoboi78; 03-30-2020 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-31-2020, 11:49 AM

459 posts, read 377,120 times
Thank god for Triad posters. The Charlotte vs Raleigh gang is exhaustingly petty. Can't wait to visit when it's all done and the coronavirus crisis dies down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina