Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:53 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times

Advertisements

Well if you like Diners, come up to downtown Raleigh and visit Pooles Diner on South McDowell Street (just below Davie St)...it's a real treat!!!!

For bakeries, it's really hit or miss. Raleigh used to have a fantastic bakery in Cameron Village but it closed 2-3 years ago. I was really saddened.

For those in the Triad area, Winston-Salem has an excellent bakery in the historic Old Salem area. They bake everything in a real old stone/brick wood oven just like the 19th century. They even wear costumes while doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 02:01 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Why do you think that is? Apparently, folks want a old-time bakery, but not enough to actually use it?
In this town, there has been a real history of this kind of thing. If you get beyond BBQ and Biscuits and Gravy, the local folks just aren't going to buy it.
Pizza and Chinese are the only ethnic foods there.
I don't think they have ever had a real old fashioned bakery in this town. My mom never saw one growing up there. It wasn't until she moved to Michigan that she was introduced to a variety of baked goods. I always have to bring her canolis' when I go down for a visit.
There has been one interesting development. A guy bought an entire city block of empty stores (since walmart came in the downtown kind of died), and opened a coffee shop and art/craft exhibit space. It is like a real independent coffee house, with live music on Friday nights. Somehow he has made it. I go by every-time I am there and buy something.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:16 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
Here in NY, bagels and pizza, would be one thing I will miss as I have heard there are not many places in the south to get one as I am used to.
I won't. Know why? Because I found Mario's pizza off Weddington Road (Plantation shopping center) in Matthews to have the best calzone I've ever had. It's enormous (enough for 2) and expensive, but worth every penny. Yummy!!!

Old 08-15-2006, 02:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
In this town, there has been a real history of this kind of thing. If you get beyond BBQ and Biscuits and Gravy, the local folks just aren't going to buy it.
Pizza and Chinese are the only ethnic foods there.
I don't think they have ever had a real old fashioned bakery in this town. My mom never saw one growing up there. It wasn't until she moved to Michigan that she was introduced to a variety of baked goods. I always have to bring her canolis' when I go down for a visit.
There has been one interesting development. A guy bought an entire city block of empty stores (since walmart came in the downtown kind of died), and opened a coffee shop and art/craft exhibit space. It is like a real independent coffee house, with live music on Friday nights. Somehow he has made it. I go by every-time I am there and buy something.
So, I guess if someone is interested in starting that type of business, they'll need to do it in areas that have a high population of newcomers from the northeast states to be successful?

I wonder why traditional Southern bake goods wouldn't sell well in those other NC areas? Maybe native Southerners rather do their own baking using old family recipes than buying someone else's work. I have 40 years of living up north and 16 years in the south. I have noticed that Southerners seem to be much more interested into cooking in general than those families in the northeast. Might just be a regional culture.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:52 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
I have been reading Southern Living magazine for a few years now. It highlights things unique to this region, so I came here with a bit of an idea about some of the niceties of the lifestyle that I would find.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:22 PM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
(I have noticed that Southerners seem to be much more interested into cooking in general than those families in the northeast. Might just be a regional culture.[/quote])
The enormous spreads of food always came from my Italian Nana's house. She did not work when I came along, and she would cook, bake, sing, pour some wine (not for me). Big Italian meals, big Italian desert's, Big Italian laughter. It was Great. My parents on the other hand worked too much. and Overtime, 4 kids and just plain living expense's. When we weren't eating at Nana's we were lucky to get a quicky meal at home. I suppose when your happy and not working and life is good cooking in your own kitchen is a pleasure. Overworked and stressed out people here in Jersey go to the "Diner". Sometimes you just dont want to deal with another mess. There's got to be 10 different eating choices on most every corner and in between. Have any of you fellow Northerner's had any family overnight some of these special treats for you? My Aunt said she would ship me anything that could be shipped when I get there. I would never have thought of these items as being a luxury, since there always a walking distance away. Just another thing taken for granted.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
(I have noticed that Southerners seem to be much more interested into cooking in general than those families in the northeast. Might just be a regional culture.
)
The enormous spreads of food always came from my Italian Nana's house. She did not work when I came along, and she would cook, bake, sing, pour some wine (not for me). Big Italian meals, big Italian desert's, Big Italian laughter. It was Great. My parents on the other hand worked too much. and Overtime, 4 kids and just plain living expense's. When we weren't eating at Nana's we were lucky to get a quicky meal at home. I suppose when your happy and not working and life is good cooking in your own kitchen is a pleasure. Overworked and stressed out people here in Jersey go to the "Diner". Sometimes you just dont want to deal with another mess. There's got to be 10 different eating choices on most every corner and in between. Have any of you fellow Northerner's had any family overnight some of these special treats for you? My Aunt said she would ship me anything that could be shipped when I get there. I would never have thought of these items as being a luxury, since there always a walking distance away. Just another thing taken for granted.[/quote]

Yep, in my area it was Pennsylvania Dutch (German) cooking instead of Italian, but I know what you mean, but it's no where near what it once was.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:24 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
So, I guess if someone is interested in starting that type of business, they'll need to do it in areas that have a high population of newcomers from the northeast states to be successful?

I wonder why traditional Southern bake goods wouldn't sell well in those other NC areas? Maybe native Southerners rather do their own baking using old family recipes than buying someone else's work. I have 40 years of living up north and 16 years in the south. I have noticed that Southerners seem to be much more interested into cooking in general than those families in the northeast. Might just be a regional culture.
I am not really sure. I know that generally speaking, I found Southern families (I was a pastor in NC for 12 years), about as stressed out as anywhere else. Kids scheduled up to their ears, mom and dad working etc. The thing I did notice, is that church families were a little more likely to have a big family dinner on Sundays. That again was possibly pecular to the "church" culture in which I served. As far as them doing their own baking at home. About the only thing that I ever saw southerners baking was biscuits. That was considered an art form and very much a matter of family recipes. Eating out in general was still pretty prevalent in the areas I lived in. Especially down east, the fast food restaurants stayed full of families eating after work.
I think that in small towns (where the bakery was) there is still s certain resistance to change of any kind. This lady had lived Down South for about 20 years and really loved it, but still retained much of her up-state new york accent. That may be a factor. I only mention this, because of something that happened about a month ago when I was in Old Fort NC. There is a small diner that opened up in the middle of town. It is owned and operated by two sisters. They are both originally from Wisconsin (one of the sisters husband was originally from Old Fort). This is a quaint little place, very cute that has amazing food. Well, my mother and I were in an art gallery across the street. It was new to the downtown. I kind of mentioned that it was nice to see a couple of new business open there, and asked if the owner (an Old Fort native) had been to the new diner. She said that she had gotten a bad sandwich there and hadn't gone back. Besides,she said, people say that those women are rude. Now, I have been to this place three times. Every time they have been pleasant and friendly. However, they are not Southern, and don't speak with a Southern drawl, and don't vomit sweetness all over you. That is their only crime, and they will likely go out of business because of it. That is part of the culture that I would consider antagonistic toward outsiders and may be a reason for the failure of these businesses that are a little different.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:55 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Why do you think that is? Apparently, folks want a old-time bakery, but not enough to actually use it?
Yes, that is probably it. On Long Island many bakeries have closed, b/c with people working the hours they do there is rarely a mom at home to go marketing all over town when she can get almost everything in one stop. But we do have a few specialty stores that remain, b/c there is a denser population base to support it.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:28 PM

393 posts, read 1,881,167 times
mhogan......I am from WI, living in High Point, can u tell me where this diner is so I can go visit the sisters from WI? Thank You

I tend to agree with all of you.......I miss my long johns, peanut persians, and peanut squares.....do any of you want to open a bakery with me? Just homemade treats, fresh from the oven.

Also, I have tried to get some of those delicacies shipped down here, talk about desperate ha? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina