Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Advertisements

Some of the new North Carolina laws going into effect on Friday.

State sales tax rate on most non-food goods fall from 7% to 6.75% in most counties. An additional quarter-cent reduction is set for July 2007.

A new seatbelt law requires all passengers, not just young people or those in the front seat to buckle up.

Drivers under the age of 18 will no longer be allowed to use a cell phone while driving, except when talking to their parents or law enforcement officers. Hands-free phones are not exempt.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 PM

421 posts, read 348,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post

State sales tax rate on most non-food goods fall from 7% to 6.75% in most counties. An additional quarter-cent reduction is set for July 2007.

A new seatbelt law requires all passengers, not just young people or those in the front seat to buckle up.

Drivers under the age of 18 will no longer be allowed to use a cell phone while driving, except when talking to their parents or law enforcement officers. Hands-free phones are not exempt.

I really like that cell phone law. These kids don't need to talk on those cell phones while driving. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:26 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
IMO it should have gone further. Nobody needs to be talking on those things while driving. They're nothing but a distraction and contribute to accidents.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:05 PM

127 posts, read 600,198 times
Quote:
Here's what I find weird... You have to wear a seatbelt, yet it's legal to ride in the back of a pickup truck without one. Go figgure?

Old 11-30-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveInNC View Post
Here's what I find weird... You have to wear a seatbelt, yet it's legal to ride in the back of a pickup truck without one. Go figgure?
In some cases, yes, but in others, it's not legal. It always makes me cringe to see unrestrained people or pets in a pickup bed.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:54 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:

I don't think anybody should be talking on the cell phone and driving. Young, old, in-between. But, how do you prove that you were talking to parents or law enforcement?

Old 12-01-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I don't think anybody should be talking on the cell phone and driving. Young, old, in-between. But, how do you prove that you were talking to parents or law enforcement?
Phone records or last number?

Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 AM

693 posts, read 2,761,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
IMO it should have gone further. Nobody needs to be talking on those things while driving. They're nothing but a distraction and contribute to accidents.
I vote for that too!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 AM

116 posts, read 446,078 times
Quote:

Okay mm34b,
I know you are the one to ask! I may have read this on other threads but can't remember, is there tax on food/groceries? I am fairly certain we paid tax when we went out to eat in NC, but really did very little grocery shopping.
Thanks for your knowledge,
~Duke101

Old 12-01-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke101 View Post
Okay mm34b,
I know you are the one to ask! I may have read this on other threads but can't remember, is there tax on food/groceries? I am fairly certain we paid tax when we went out to eat in NC, but really did very little grocery shopping.
Thanks for your knowledge,
~Duke101
You wouldn't think your question would be a complicated, but it is.

Food is exempt from the State sales and use tax unless the specific food item is included in one of the five categories listed in the following paragraph:

“Food” is defined broadly as “Substances that are sold for ingestion or chewing by humans and are consumed for their taste or nutritional value. The substances may be in liquid, concentrated, solid, frozen, dried, or dehydrated form.

Food that is exempt from the State sales and use tax is subject to the 2% county tax. The additional Mecklenburg County tax does not apply to sales of food that is exempt from the State tax. The law provides that food included in the following categories is not exempt from the State tax but is subject to the applicable State and local sales and use tax:

Dietary Supplements

Food sold through a vending machine (however, receipts of items sold through vending machines are subject to tax at 50% of the sales price)

Prepared Food

Soft Drinks

Candy

There have been misunderstandings by taxpayers regarding the taxation of some items that, although they meet the definition of food, may be included in one of the five excluded categories listed in the preceding paragraph. If the item is included in one of the categories, the item is subject to both the State and local rates of tax.The primary area of concern pertains to “prepared food.” A food item is considered to be a “prepared food” and subject to the State and local rates of tax if one of the following conditions exists:

1) it is sold in a heated state or it is heated by the retailer,

2) it consists of two or more foods mixed or combined by the retailer for sale as a single item (not including foods containing raw eggs, fish, meat, or poultry that must be cooked by the consumer to prevent food borne illnesses, or

3) it is sold with eating utensils such as plates, knives, forks, spoons, glasses, cups, napkins, and straws that are provided by the retailer.

The following are examples of the proper application of tax to certain food or food items:

1) Breads, cakes, and similar bakery items are subject to the 2% local tax unless the items are considered to be prepared foods, in which case they are subject to the general State and applicable local rates of tax. For instance, bread selected from a shelf on the bread aisle of a grocery store is subject to the 2% county tax. However, bread purchased in a grocery store is subject to the general State and applicable local rates of tax as a prepared food if the retailer (i.e. grocery store) made the bread; the retailer mixed or combined two or more foods for sale as a single item.

2) Bakeries that make items they sell, such as breads, pies, cakes, and pastries, are liable for collecting the general State and applicable local rates of tax on their baked goods regardless of where the items are consumed. Whether items are consumed on the premises or taken off the premises (i.e., for “home consumption”) is not a factor in determining the application of tax.

3) Sales of bakery items that a bakery purchases from a third party and resells without altering or heating are subject to the 2% local rate of tax unless the bakery provides eating utensils to customers. If eating utensils are provided, the food items constitute prepared foods and are subject to the general State and applicable local rates of tax. Utensils include plates, knives, forks, spoons, glasses, cups, napkins, and straws.

4) Items such as pimiento cheese, cole slaw, and potato salad are subject to the 2% local tax unless the items are considered to be prepared foods, in which case they are subject to the general State and applicable local rates of tax. For instance, pimiento cheese, cole slaw, or potato salad selected from the refrigeration section of a grocery store is subject to the 2% county tax. However, a similar item purchased in the deli area of a grocery store is subject to the general State and applicable local rates of tax as prepared food if the retailer (i.e. grocery store) made the item; the retailer mixed or combined two or more foods for sale as a single item.

5) Fried chicken purchased in the frozen foods area of a grocery store is subject to the 2% local tax; fried chicken in the deli area is subject to the general State and applicable local rates of tax as a prepared food either on the basis of it consisting of two or more foods mixed or combined by the retailer or it being sold in a heated state or being heated (cooked) by the retailer.

NC Department of Revenue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina