Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM

218 posts, read 253,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsinautumn View Post
IMO, I think the cell phone law should apply to EVERYONE. I have seen way too many close calls involving people using cell phones. I myself will not use one while driving. I have tried, too dangerous.

As a matter of fact, my daughter and I witnessed a bad accident in which the driver who caused it was talking on her cell phone.
That doesn't mean cellphones caused the things you saw. I talk on the phone via earpiece all the time while driving, and I have no problem driving safely. This law is pointless! Not only does it insult the capacity of the human brain, but it targets a rebel mentality demographic... 15-17 y/o drivers. It's probability of enforcement is at best VERY LOW! When will an officer be able to see that in the act? If they did, could they really tell the difference between a 16 y/o and a 21 y/o that's behind the wheel of a car? Would they really go to the effort of finding out?

All of the 'studies' are so slanted! Teens are higher risk drivers by nature. Accident rates aren't going up, there are just more teens getting behind the wheel each year. All of them have cellphones and it's an easy excuse. Sounds better than "I was just driving like a moron." or, "I took a dare." This should be something parents demand of their children, not an unenforceable law that wastes legislature time.

It angers me that the senate had time for this, but not a bill passed UNANIMOUSLY by the house and has been sittiing in a subcomittee since 6/2005. This bill is supported by the Attorney General, and would stop rampant fraud ruining way more lives each year than that of driving teens... on or off the cellphone.

Last edited by Charlotte ePro; 12-15-2006 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-01-2007, 05:58 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte ePro View Post
That doesn't mean cellphones caused the things you saw. I talk on the phone via earpiece all the time while driving, and I have no problem driving safely. This law is pointless! Not only does it insult the capacity of the human brain, but it targets a rebel mentality demographic... 15-17 y/o drivers. It's probability of enforcement is at best VERY LOW! When will an officer be able to see that in the act? If they did, could they really tell the difference between a 16 y/o and a 21 y/o that's behind the wheel of a car? Would they really go to the effort of finding out?

All of the 'studies' are so slanted! Teens are higher risk drivers by nature. Accident rates aren't going up, there are just more teens getting behind the wheel each year. All of them have cellphones and it's an easy excuse. Sounds better than "I was just driving like a moron." or, "I took a dare." This should be something parents demand of their children, not an unenforceable law that wastes legislature time.

It angers me that the senate had time for this, but not a bill passed UNANIMOUSLY by the house and has been sittiing in a subcomittee since 6/2005. This bill is supported by the Attorney General, and would stop rampant fraud ruining way more lives each year than that of driving teens... on or off the cellphone.
Most drivers have an over-inflated perspective of their own driving skills. Many studies have clearly shown the increased risk of driving whilst distracted by any means.
Drivers should concentrate on the task at hand and not be distracted by any other activity including , carrying dogs, using laptops, using cellphones, eating, putting on makeup whatever. Its all driving without due care and attention in my book

Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte ePro View Post
That doesn't mean cellphones caused the things you saw. I talk on the phone via earpiece all the time while driving, and I have no problem driving safely.
Without being offensive, you are in complete denial, well actually you are so involved in your conversation that you are completely unaware of how bad your driving is.

Turn your phone off, and watch other people, the ones wandering from lane to lane, changing lanes forcing other people to take evasive action, blowing through stop lights and stop signs, pulling out in front of people, failing to slow down when everyone else is and having to make a panic stop, cutting you off in even light traffic. Common thread, 99% of them will have a cellphone in their hand.

The are all self absorbed in their conversation, handheld or hands-free. But you never see that in yourself, for the simple reason you are not paying attention to your driving. Just because you have not had an accident does not mean you are doing this safely, and if your have caused one, you are probably simply unaware you caused it, because you are not pay attention. You don't need a "study" to prove this, simply pay attention to what others are doing, but of course you will have to hang up before that is possible.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
I notice this thread was from 2006 so here are the ones effective for dec and 2008

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/document...01-1-2008).pdf

Old 12-01-2007, 10:59 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,507 times
mm34b:
You sure are a treasure trove of knowledge...bravo! With you on hand who needs an encyclopaedia or books of records? You are a plus to this forum

Old 12-01-2007, 07:00 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,366 times
The one thing that truly scares me are the drivers that text message when they are driving. I can't see how you can concentrate on driving while reading answers and texting a message back. I have an earpiece for my cell when I am on the road and really try and make sure I am more aware of what I am doing. It strikes me that that is how I should drive always. Duh.

When I lived in South Florida, a tv station did a story on what people do when they drive. Everything from putting on makeup, changing clothes, "doing" their hair and my personal favorite-eating Chinese food with chopsticks. No hands on the wheel with that one. And these were all drivers on I-95. That put a whole new spin on defensive driving for me.

I have family around the country and all of them complain about bad drivers. Seems it's a national epidemic and a shame. Good luck to us all on the road.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:38 PM

24 posts, read 140,735 times
I would like to meet some locals since I moved her a month ago. I never find one person that doesn't have a phone glued to their ears. When you do get to say hello the phone rings. I think cell phones are fine for emerency. Darn I am thinking people wake up talking on a phone till their eyes goes to sleep. Working in call center I can tell people do not know how to hold a conversation anymore. No more manners. Just get on the phone and cuse me out like I am their neighbor.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:15 PM

58 posts, read 229,209 times
One law I would like to see take in effect: Lower State gas tax. tax on gas here in NC is $30 cents a gallon. The other states in the southeast average 15-20 cents a gallon. This equivilates to gas being 2.75 in SC, while across the border in NC, the same gas is 3.05

Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheel07 View Post
One law I would like to see take in effect: Lower State gas tax. tax on gas here in NC is $30 cents a gallon. The other states in the southeast average 15-20 cents a gallon. This equivilates to gas being 2.75 in SC, while across the border in NC, the same gas is 3.05
Other than Texas, North Carolina has the most road infrastructure to take care of.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
The one thing that truly scares me are the drivers that text message when they are driving. I can't see how you can concentrate on driving while reading answers and texting a message back. I have an earpiece for my cell when I am on the road and really try and make sure I am more aware of what I am doing. It strikes me that that is how I should drive always. Duh.
Ear piece or just the phone, your mental process is on you conversation, not your driving. Your ear piece in no way improves your driving other than you can have a hand free to hold your coffee, it in no way means you are paying anymore attention to traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina