Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 07:54 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skieer View Post
Some responses clearly show that people don't get it. It's fine, I am not going to reformulate or allegorize again and again.

If so inclined, re-read my posts #1 and #30, this time c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y

Then re-read the post of kettlepot #31 who gets it. Their German/Austrian grandparent lived in USA during Hitler's atrocities... Meeting another German, in USA, ruddy from beer and sausages, happily exclaiming something like "Happy Oktoberfest!", dancing Bavarian dances.... wouldn't sit well neither with their grandmother, nor probably with the rest of Americans who were busy producing ammunition for the war. Would she say to him "Have a good holiday!" ?

--- just think, please, before thinking that you could help. You do have some gray matter.
Your responses show why you are having difficulty dealing with people of different backgrounds, ethnicities, religions including your (former) own - and seems to not understand and appreciate a valuable advice kindly given to you.

Your posts are very abrasive and intolerant.

It is un-Canadian and un-American.

P.S. Agree with our smart Zoisite - that the goal of this poster is perhaps - to spread and share hatred - and not actually seeking the advice

Last edited by L00k4ward; 01-02-2023 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-02-2023, 08:00 AM

15 posts, read 6,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Your responses show why you are having difficulty dealing with people of different backgrounds, ethnicities, religions including your (former) own - and seems to not understand and appreciate a valuable advice kindly given to you.

You are very abrasive and intolerant.

Maybe.

Well, C-D friends and not so friends, this is going to be the last post from me. You've got a peek into how a Russian person living in US/Canada may feel in the current environment, and I think this is enough.

Wishing that 2023 would bring us some peace.

Old 01-02-2023, 08:57 AM

22,151 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Maybe.

Well, C-D friends and not so friends, this is going to be the last post from me. You've got a peek into how a Russian person living in US/Canada may feel in the current environment, and I think this is enough.

the thread topic though is NOT about the experience of Russians in Canada.
the thread topic IS about how to handle a co-worker or colleague in the workplace.

which has nothing to do with Russia. nothing to do with Canada or the USA. nothing to do with politics, world history, family background, or current events.

whatever personal problems or prejudices a person has, don't bring them into the workplace.
especially if they are of the "i hate __________" this or that race, culture, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, nationality.

the opening post says they hate Russians and they hate stupid Russian holidays.
keep that out of the workplace, or expect to be dealing with an HR action.

Quote:
But, in my case, I have this twist of HATING what Ruzzians have turned out to be, and hating their stupid holidays. And the second twist is, that I have to continue to keep working with this man.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-02-2023 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-02-2023, 09:14 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,468,542 times
Quote:
Maybe.

You have done a very poor job of making your case.

OK, the Ukrainian masseuse unfairly lumped you in with the 144 million other Russians and refused to service you. I'm sure that felt insulting since you are sympathetic to her country's situation, but that's not really an example of what its like for a Russian "living in the US/Canada in the current environment."

Your only other beef is that another Russian guy identifies you as someone who shares his heritage (note that I didn't say you share his political beliefs) and somehow this gives him comfort to feel a connection in a world where he feels like an outsider. You are not really clear in giving him feedback. "Not talking about Russia," to him,might mean you don't want to talk politics. He may believe that you still connect to certain aspects of your shared heritage.

I interpret your anger on this thread is really an expression of guilt for being Russian. Which if that's the case, your guilt is misplaced because what is going on is not your fault nor the fault of millions of other Russians.

Sometimes when we feel helpless to a situation, it can cause feelings of anger and defensiveness if we have any connection at all to the situation. If that is what is going on with you, I can understand the feeling but you are taking it out unfairly on well-meaning people.

I wish you peace!

Old 01-02-2023, 11:17 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Well this made me chuckle. I've read the Canadian part of this forum for so many years... I remember when you first appeared on C-D asking about how to move to BC, or from BC (don't remember exactly). Your posts have become icier and icier in time, arriving lately at the point of "holier than thou". I liked the "earlier" you better.

Yes, Canada is multi-cultural and I belong to one of those cultures. I have the right to have feelings related to my culture. You, however, seem to deny my right to have these feelings and would rather I melange into a beige "nothing" of an abstract multi-cultural concept.

Anyway, I am flying over to Calgary in a few days to ski at Lake Louise. I can send you pictures from the ski hills.
Well thank goodness that young trouble maker is gone now, but he just proved he's a liar making up stories since none of his so-called memories posted above about me are factual, in reality they are impossible. Some of his comments about Russia and other countries simply don't jive with the truth either. Therefore I don't believe any of his story can be believed.

For the record (for anyone who cares) I'm a 4th generation Canadian who was born and raised in BC and I'm a much nicer and more reasonable person now than I was when I first joined CD. LOL. And I think when I joined CD that the OP was still a kid in elementary school and was not reading anything of City Data.

Matter of fact, joining CD and having online exposure to other members in USA and other countries through this forum has been really good for me and my outlook on humanity. It's given me a lot more insight into other people and their cultures around the world, and even slightly altered my original perspective about Canada for the better. Being a member of City Data has helped make me even more proud of my country than I was before and it's helped me to understand and give a lot more credit to people in other countries than I had before joining CD.

What I don't understand is why rude and insulting trolls come to City Data and other places online pretending to be other people than who and where they really are and making up wild stories designed to cause trouble between people and nations. But I guess that's a topic for a different thread.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:56 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What I don't understand is why rude and insulting trolls come to City Data and other places online pretending to be other people than who and where they really are and making up wild stories designed to cause trouble between people and nations.
Because they can. They have some personal axe to grind and use every opportunity to do so. They live to stir up anthills, not to actually do anything productive. Pathetic little people.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:58 PM

22,151 posts, read 19,203,648 times
also if they claim to be on CD before, how is it that their account shows they just now joined and have only every posted in this one thread?

Old 01-02-2023, 02:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Your posts are very abrasive and intolerant.

Oh, give me a break.

Stop sneering at the OP.

And anyone who knows anything about US history knows that intolerance IS, unfortunately, a very American trait.

Old 01-02-2023, 05:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Oh, give me a break.

Stop sneering at the OP.

And anyone who knows anything about US history knows that intolerance IS, unfortunately, a very American trait.
Do you think that being insulting on the forum and sneering at not only one person but an entire nation because of who they are was not the sole reason the intolerant OP started the thread in the first place?

I do. It was a stunt pulled by a New Year's Eve Grinch designed to rouse hard feelings between people at a special time when everyone around the world has something in common to celebrate together.

Old 01-02-2023, 05:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Do you think that being insulting on the forum and sneering at not only one person but an entire nation because of who they are was not the sole reason the intolerant OP started the thread in the first place?

I do. It was a stunt pulled by a New Year's Eve Grinch designed to rouse hard feelings between people at a special time when everyone around the world has something in common to celebrate together.

Even if the OP did sneer, two wrongs don’t make a right. I didn’t think that the OP was out of line. Your posts are pretty consistently courteous- keep them that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships