Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:45 PM

16,443 posts, read 12,613,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I would have been happy with a “thank you” written over the endorsement on the back of the check; or an email or text even. S.O.M.E.T.H.I.N.G.
That thought would never have occurred to me, much less a college aged student who probably has little to no experience dealing with checks. You really look at your endorsed checks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 06:50 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,439,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
OP, I wouldn't. I'm tired of the offspring of my generation ignoring social niceties. I've received lovely notes from parents for any number of small things, and I know for a fact that their kids grew up writing thank you notes. But somewhere along the line they got the message that it was ok to forgo them. I think it's time to take a stand. My grandson is only 5, but I no longer send gifts for anything except his birthday. .
I stop for my friend's kids when they get out of high school, that is regardless of whether they send thank you notes or not. At some point, gifts should not be expected any more. I have to save money for retirement.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:33 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,563,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
<>Sooo........I’m pondering if I will send a wedding gift. Would you?
Go for cheap and tacky.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:48 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,182,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If I'm giving a gift, it's because I care about the recipient. To me, their lack of writing a thank you note doesn't change how I feel about them.
Yep. The definition of gift is a thing given willingly to someone. Give it because you want to.

However ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I'm also not inclined to give gifts to people I don't have any sort of relationship with.
This ^^^ is the real reason you don't need to send a gift, not out of spite because you didn't get thanked for a previous gift.

If you received an official invitation, just send him a card.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:05 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,613,088 times
For those to whom "thank you's have gone by the wayside", my response has become "gifts have gone by the wayside". This has cut my gift giving by about 60%. Interestingly, those who do give thank you's are also the same who keep in touch at least somewhat in other ways. So it does seem to be dependent on whether or not there is a "relationship", as someone else said.

Last edited by Harpaint; 03-24-2018 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,439,804 times
I've never had my nephew say thank you for a single gift I've given him, every birthday, Christmas, graduation, this has been going on for years. I have to wonder why his mom and dad have never taught him to do this and they know about all the gifts I've sent him over the years. But overall, his social skills suck. I'd never point that out to his parents, but if he were my kid I'd have some real concern about it. When he comes to our home, he sulks in a corner texting his friends and never once looks up to speak to us. He's 22 now and these are his social skills. It's sad.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,262,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Unless you're raised in a barn how do you not know to say thank you?
Hey, it's not polite to insult farm animals by comparing them to humans who do know how to say thank you for a gift.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:43 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,900,167 times
I'd send something inexpensive but friendly. Say, a wedding bells ornament for their first Christmas tree. Something where you won't feel resentful about the expense, but won't seem chilly, either.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:08 AM

8,305 posts, read 8,717,353 times
I wouldn't send anything.

When a person I know dies and they have a charity listed in the obituary I always send a check. There has only been one time I did not receive a handwritten thank you note. Many times I did not know any of the family but they still sent a thank you. I always received the form letter from the charity and no that is not a substitute for the note.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:26 AM

13,298 posts, read 8,521,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'd send something inexpensive but friendly. Say, a wedding bells ornament for their first Christmas tree. Something where you won't feel resentful about the expense, but won't seem chilly, either.
May I say,what a gracious style in hospitality you rendered. I like your idea! Simple,thoughtful and within a frame of still acknowledging the event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships