Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times

Advertisements

I know guys who are in their 40's and have lived at home their entire lives. Mommy and Daddy buy them a new car, pay for their one class at a time education at community college (which they drop out of after a year of part time school with no job at all while parents pay their expenses).

Another guy I know is 38 and is in his 10th year at Devry for a 2 year degree. Dad is shelling out 30K a year for his "degree" if he ever gets it. He fails classes constantly...Mommy and Daddy paid for his wedding. WTF?

What happened to being an adult? I stood on my own two feet since I was 18, had hardships most people can't fathom, and still put myself through undergrad and grad school while working demanding professional jobs.

I'm sure the people who this post applies to will try to say I'm jealous, but nothing could be further from the truth. I pitty these fools AND their parents. I pay more in taxes they and their wives GROSS in a year. I am financially independent. I never got any handouts. I just don't get how their parents are so inept that they think these people will ever become anything. Being a leech and failing at everything is not what the definition of success is, and 10 years at Devry to get a 2 year degree means you're not exactly the best and brightest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:40 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
I don't actually know a single person like this.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
not everyone has to be a success, you know. some people are just slacker, are enabled by parents, and are blinded by the continuous bail out.

I personally have never asked my parents for money, nor accepted it, since I was 16. Sure I lived at their home, and walked out in my early 20s, but I always gave them some money weekly to cover expenses. Independence is so important in an adults development , but parents will always look at their Adult kids as their babies.

to be married, and have that support is freaking crazy! I guess this persons parents are also making decisions for their sons marriage arrangements, so I cant imagine a marriage like this will last long. Paying for a sons wedding is really some sissy stuff, I would never admit to.

But guess what, not everyone is like you, just don't surround yourself with people like this, and it wont bother you, very simple to do. Is this person something to you, that it bothers you so much? I dont associate with slackers, and do not really care what is going on with them. They could have mental issues, of all I know.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:43 AM

776 posts, read 394,754 times
Some parents do everything they can to sabotage their kid's independence. They think that 26 is too young too date or drive.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:18 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
...and how come MY parents didn't do it for ME?

I knew a few people like this when I was younger, but I was too busy working to keep in touch.

A friend's 30-something son and son's girlfriend are staying with mom and dad right now. Dad would like them to move out, but doesn't know how (or can't bring himself) to start the conversation.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Me, neither.

My one friend lives with her parents, but she has a full-time, well-paying job and stays there to help take care of her mother who has had a very severe stroke. She helps pay the bills, not the other way around.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:57 AM

923 posts, read 526,823 times
I actually know a few people similar to this. Some in their 20's, 1 in her 30's, and one in his 40's.

The men/boys have just never "maned" up and don't mind living off of their parents. The younger one expects it and gets mad when he doesn't get what he wants...spoiled lil $#*t.

The other is one of my brothers, early 40's. Never maned up, can't make a decision, can't manage money, and is lazy as heck. He works in one of our business' and when I bring it up my parents get mad at me and say I'm just trying to get rid of him. I say no, he needs to grow up and grow a pair. Then they don't talk to me for months at a time.

But I expect more out of people. When you expect less of them then your degrading them, imho.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:32 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
I've known people that never left home, parents paid for college, but I never knew any that received cars or anything else like that. Now the parents are dead and they still live in the house they grew up in. I think this is more common than some people think.

In many cases people think the son still lives at home but it is the parents that live with the son. There were 2 like that in my family. It's who owns the house now. I have a relative that used to really get pi***d about that. He bought the house from his mom, let her stay there, and people thought he couldn't make it on his own and that he still lived with his mom.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:36 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Nope I don't know even one person like that either. Perhaps, it is because I don't know anyone wealthy enough that they could afford to support their adult child well into adulthood, buying them new cars, paying their expenses, etc. etc.

Now, I do know a few parents who have their adult child on their family cell phone plan because it is so much cheaper or who will help out financially in an emergency. But, actually support their adult child, or pay the down payment of a house for them, or things like that, nope I do not know anyone like that.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:17 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I know guys who are in their 40's and have lived at home their entire lives. Mommy and Daddy buy them a new car, pay for their one class at a time education at community college (which they drop out of after a year of part time school with no job at all while parents pay their expenses).

Another guy I know is 38 and is in his 10th year at Devry for a 2 year degree. Dad is shelling out 30K a year for his "degree" if he ever gets it. He fails classes constantly...Mommy and Daddy paid for his wedding. WTF?

What happened to being an adult? I stood on my own two feet since I was 18, had hardships most people can't fathom, and still put myself through undergrad and grad school while working demanding professional jobs.

I'm sure the people who this post applies to will try to say I'm jealous, but nothing could be further from the truth. I pitty these fools AND their parents. I pay more in taxes they and their wives GROSS in a year. I am financially independent. I never got any handouts. I just don't get how their parents are so inept that they think these people will ever become anything. Being a leech and failing at everything is not what the definition of success is, and 10 years at Devry to get a 2 year degree means you're not exactly the best and brightest...
Ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships