Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 PM

19,916 posts, read 12,439,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
Agreed.

In my state, it is still quite common. We have many immigrants from 3rd world countries who reside in multigenerational houses. Maybe in an normal 3br house, you might have 10-15 people residing there. Everyone from great grandma down to a toddler. I think eventually some of the people may choose to move out and buy/rent places on their own, but many do not. Part of it is cultural, part of it is due to the reality of being poor, and struggling to make ends meet.

I personally have always lived in the standard 1 family household, but there is some appeal to living in a multigenerational house. There's always someone available to pitch in to take care of the elderly, to watch the nephews and nieces, and overall bond (maybe fight too, haha) as a family.
The "someone" is usually one person, the chosen scapegoat - a daughter made to feel guilty if she doesn't want the role of lifetime carer/spinster. There is a reason when kids were able to move out at 18, they did. Now some cultures want to normalize going backwards here in the US. If you want to live fifteen in a house you better have a big house and a lot of land or live in a ghetto. A 3 br in a small neighborhood is not set up for that, it taxes the water and sewer systems, it is not being a good neighbor in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 04:19 PM

11,183 posts, read 8,063,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The problem with the situation is the way these adult children act. Those who have been supported by their parents for a long time are generally whiny spoiled brats you don't want to work with, be friends with, or date. So it does actually have an effect on people.

Moving home should be a last resort, temporary solution. Not a long term solution.
Still none of your business. Don't date them, don't be friends with them, ignore them at work. It can only affect you... if you let it. Sounds more like sour grapes than a legit complaint.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:14 PM

10,393 posts, read 14,097,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post
Severe stereotype there Ndak15, I feel sorry for you that you lump all adults living at home into one category. Life isn't as black and white as that. Housing prices are astronomical for a single person in a low paying job. If that person is able to stay at home contributing financially and help with chores then who are you to judge?

For the record, the only spoiled people I know are women who live with their partners, don't work and who expect everything to be handed to them on a plate. But nobody says anything about that as it is deemed more acceptable for reasons unknown to me.
I do agree on the last paragraph.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:28 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,390,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni855 View Post

For the record, the only spoiled people I know are women who live with their partners, don't work and who expect everything to be handed to them on a plate. But nobody says anything about that as it is deemed more acceptable for reasons unknown to me.
My sister-in-law is one of those people.... I just keep my mouth shut out of love for my brother and his children.

I know a guy who is in his upper 40's and still quite financially dependent on his father although the guy lives on his own. My friend recently told me when his father passes away, it will be hard for him financially unless he finds a better job. One of his problems is he allows his friends mooch money off of him and buys their friendship by paying for their meals and stuff. After he had told me this, I do my best to avoid him.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,477,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The problem with the situation is the way these adult children act. Those who have been supported by their parents for a long time are generally whiny spoiled brats you don't want to work with, be friends with, or date. So it does actually have an effect on people.

Then don't work with them, be friends with them or date them. Problem solved.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,477,403 times
I do see lots of stereotypes here as being it's mainly singles who live at home with parents, but I've known quite a few married couples, even married with kids, who lived at home with their parents. But it's not like I care because it certainly doesn't affect me one way or the other. It's up to the parents to decide if they want to keep them on.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:36 AM

191 posts, read 269,578 times
I think it is very small minded to say all adults who live at home are shallow, spoiled, immature and losers. I know I am not so please don't insult me by saying I am a bad person as I live at home. As I said before, the most entitled and spoiled people I know are married and living away from parents. Living at home in todays financial climate is a whole lot different to when houses were affordable. It is hard for a single/married couple at times to get on the housing ladder. I really wish some of you would stop judging, it says a lot more about you then the groups of people you are directing your comments at. .

Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM

10,393 posts, read 14,097,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Then don't work with them, be friends with them or date them. Problem solved.
Don't work with them? Quit my damn job just because I don't like people like that? Real smart.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM

19,916 posts, read 12,439,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
My sister-in-law is one of those people.... I just keep my mouth shut out of love for my brother and his children.
Of course you keep your mouth shut, she is his wife, I assume the mother of his children, and you are just the sister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships