Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times

Advertisements

I love how this thread has turned into an enviro-friendly tirade. The "green" folks have to chime in on everything, don't they?

That said, I think the OP should look for a studio or one-bedroom apartment. It's not really fair to live in someone else's home at what's probably a very cheap rate (most room rentals that I see are $100-ish a week, all-inclusive with power, water, cable, Internet, etc.) and make complaints about such minor things.

Plus, if the OP's landlords are like any that I've seen, they probably made it clear in their ad that they were cat owners. Most such ads say, "Must love pets because we have 2 cats named Boots and Socks, and they're part of the family."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 01:38 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Eh. Food is food. There's nothing in there that humans haven't ever consumed in one form or another.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:10 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I love how this thread has turned into an enviro-friendly tirade. The "green" folks have to chime in on everything, don't they?

That said, I think the OP should look for a studio or one-bedroom apartment. It's not really fair to live in someone else's home at what's probably a very cheap rate (most room rentals that I see are $100-ish a week, all-inclusive with power, water, cable, Internet, etc.) and make complaints about such minor things.

Plus, if the OP's landlords are like any that I've seen, they probably made it clear in their ad that they were cat owners. Most such ads say, "Must love pets because we have 2 cats named Boots and Socks, and they're part of the family."
Now 2 posts is a " tirade"... OK then...

Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
It takes less than a minute to rinse the dishes and set in the dishwasher. Maybe if OP starts doing it to the cat dishes the cat lovers will catch on and do it themselves. If not, well not the worst thing that ever happened. I rinse my dishes and sometimes hubby's. He rinses mine when I leave them. Takes just a couple seconds.

I have been a cat and dog owner pretty much for 50 years now, and we have NEVER allowed cats on the table or counter. I know people say you can't train a cat but you can. Cats are way smarter than people think.

I agree with the people who say that cat food is no different than people food in terms of germs. Any food left on a plate gets gross after an hour.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
If it skeeves you to the point of gagging, then rent another room without animals.

Cats jump on the counters even when we say we do not allow it. Cats are crafty that way.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,771,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
If it skeeves you to the point of gagging, then rent another room without animals.

Cats jump on the counters even when we say we do not allow it. Cats are crafty that way.

I don't allow my dog on any of my furniture. When I come home, he is often resting on his dog bed and then gets up and greets me with a wagging tail and lick on the hand.

And yet....if I check the couch in the back room of the house, it often has a warm spot, indented cushions, and dog fur on it....and he slinks quietly away from me without me saying a word....GUILT!

Cats are similar. They rarely leave evidence, though, unlike the dog....and they NEVER feel guilt.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:45 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I have to admit I'm not all that familiar with dog or cat food in cans, not having either ( we have birds). But hopefully there aren't any sharp edges on those cans that would scratch or cut little noses or snouts trying to reach into those cans to get the food?
Yes! Thank you for mentioning this.

I can't count how many times we have had cats, dogs, etc., come through our vets rescue center with cuts from cans. Sliced tongues are the worst, especially on the kittens. I once sliced my finger on one and it bleed and stung like crazy...can't even imagine how painful it must be when it's a tongue!

As far as the OP's question? Paper plates!

Old 01-19-2015, 12:46 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,314,350 times
Cat food stinks, so when residue is left on a plate it is unpleasant. I would move, because there is really nothing you can do. When I was in college, I shared a three bedroom condo with two girls. They were roommates before I got there, and it was a nightmare. They would leave their dirty dishes in the sink to the point of having roaches. Then, they would say I should wash them, when I never, ever left dirty dishes around. I refused. They also would have a lot of people over during the week when I needed to study. I moved as soon as I could. Life was so much better without them in my life.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:54 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

This is true. My cats are not allowed on the counters, either. They never do it when I'm home because they know they'll get their little furry butts sprayed, but I've found evidence of them being on the counters more than a few times after returning home from being gone for a while. I always sanitize my counters several times a day, anyway.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:42 PM

273 posts, read 957,466 times
This won't be a popular comment but, after reading this thread, I know why I've not had a pet since I left home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships