Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
This won't work for some people (especially parents of busy teenagers), but here's what has brought some sanity to my life:

- I got rid of my contract cell phone. I have a month-to-month contract now (Walmart), that I keep with me *for emergency use only* (as in dialing 911 or for a car breakdown on the highway).
- I have a landline phone with voice mail for the few who can't manage email.
- 95% of my contacts that aren't face-to-face are email, and I limit that to several minutes 3X a day.

I use the landline phone sparingly to phone people back.
I use email mainly to set up meal appointments.

I have lunches, picnics, dinners with folks -- face-to-face -- and I ask them to turn off their phones, unless
there is an emergency.

Such a difference! We're back to real, in-depth discussions.
same here....that cell phone is only for emergencies, no one but my son and sister have the number, b/c I rarely even have it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 01:12 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I hate cell phones,
they make people rude....
people have forgotten how to socially interact when at family gatherings
people drive while on the phone
people talk on the phone in public which is so annoying
Cell phones don't make people rude. It's just an excuse to be rude. If they're rude with a phone, they're very likely rude without it.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:58 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
I agree that it's rude to be talking one the phone at the table (barring an emergency, and even then it's preferable to excuse yourself) or texting/playing games instead of interacting with others at the table. It's best to just put your phone away in most meal situations.

However, I think it's also unreasonable to make judgements about people who might have their phones out in a casual dining setting. There are lots of situations, like inviting another person to come join your group by text, checking your calendar because you're making plans with the people at your table, showing someone at the table a photo they will enjoy seeing, and so on, that are quite reasonable and not rude at all. Even sending or receiving a brief text, with an "excuse me for a second" isn't a big deal in a casual setting, in my opinion. It's persistent use that has nothing to do with the folks you are with that's rude.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:24 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
And what is with this nonsense of saying that you can give people your work number in case of emergency? Why should they have to remember an additional phone number and why should bosses have to become unpaid secretaries for personal calls, when an employee can usually handle things more quickly on their own via their cell phone? Heck what if you're working in a different department that day where the phone numbers are different, should you then have to inform everyone of THAT number also else just miss any important calls all day? It makes no sense at all.

First of all most people get an emergency call at work about once a decade. Companies know this. Emergency means dead or dying. Anything else can wait until after work. Sick kid at school, school closing early, you should have arrangements made before it happens.

On my last job we were not allowed to have cell phones in the building. They have cameras. Taking a picture was grounds for termination.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
I had to tell my mom she was being rude when she accepted a call why the family was having dinner. Makes no sense to talk on a phone while eating out with other people

Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I agree that it's rude to be talking one the phone at the table (barring an emergency, and even then it's preferable to excuse yourself) or texting/playing games instead of interacting with others at the table. It's best to just put your phone away in most meal situations.

However, I think it's also unreasonable to make judgements about people who might have their phones out in a casual dining setting. There are lots of situations, like inviting another person to come join your group by text, checking your calendar because you're making plans with the people at your table, showing someone at the table a photo they will enjoy seeing, and so on, that are quite reasonable and not rude at all. Even sending or receiving a brief text, with an "excuse me for a second" isn't a big deal in a casual setting, in my opinion. It's persistent use that has nothing to do with the folks you are with that's rude.
It's nothing wrong with texting or facebooking while you are waiting for the meal but once the food comes texting should stop

Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
their is a generation disconnect here- us older folks think it is downright dis-respectful to use a cell phone at all at the table- falls into the meal/manners realm.
we remember when phones werent around at all-and going out to eat was a treat..

but today, that cell-phone is more and more an i-phone..smart-phone, it can do 50 things,,its a portal to the world to them..

if im out to eat, and a guy next to me is loud, very loud talking,,,,-yes, he is being rude and inconsiderate,,,now if he's loud and on a cell phone,,,we just cant tolerate that ....

i took my son to a decent restaurant a couple weeks ago,,, he's a young adult,,,,we both had our phones out showing each other pictures, and different youtube videos before the meal came.. we had the volume down very low,,
no cell calls, no cell annoying "ringtones" all the old folks didnt have phones visible,,the under 40 crowd did..

5 years ago at a family meal...say thanksgiving,,no cell phones allowed,.... now,,,those i-phones are a part of life..

if i didnt have to use my i-phone at work, i wouldnt have had one,,id just have a minimum plan for a cell phone,,and be disgusted towards others for using theirs..all the time
but since i use one everyday, that i-phone is unbelievable in what it can do..

phones are a fact of life now,,,
and while it may dismay many,,,its just the way it is..

the younger generations are the phone generations

now a few days ago,,i stop at mcdonalds for a coffee and use their free wifi for 5 minutes-work related, with an ipad- and everyone around me has cell phone ringtones going off,, and people talking loud, and i-phones on high volumes,,
but then again,,i was at a macdonalds, what do i expect,,,-i usually now stay in the car to pick up their free wifi

Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You have absolutely no way of knowing that for anyone but YOURSELF.

I don't turn my phone OFF for anyone at any time. I may put it on silent in my purse, but it stays on.

well, good for you, miss rude, with not one concept for the personal space of others in public....
shame on you

Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
mainebrokerman their is a generation disconnect here- us older folks think it is downright dis-respectful to use a cell phone at all at the table- falls into the meal/manners realm.
we remember when phones werent around at all-and going out to eat was a treat..
Sorry, I disagree, that isn't at all a generation gap, it is just plain unacceptable behavior that their parents didn't teach them, respect for the personal space of family and others.

Quote:
but today, that cell-phone is more and more an i-phone..smart-phone, it can do 50 things,,its a portal to the world to them..
Yes, it is, but as in everything else in life, all within moderation.

Quote:
if im out to eat, and a guy next to me is loud, very loud talking,,,,-yes, he is being rude and inconsiderate,,,now if he's loud and on a cell phone,,,we just cant tolerate that ....
no, it ruins my time with all those I'm with to go out and free myself of all technology and just sit and listen to a friend or friends, with my full attention.

Quote:
i took my son to a decent restaurant a couple weeks ago,,, he's a young adult,,,,we both had our phones out showing each other pictures, and different youtube videos before the meal came.. we had the volume down very low,,
no cell calls, no cell annoying "ringtones" all the old folks didnt have phones visible,,the under 40 crowd did..
and every parent should be like you! But unfortunately they are not.

Quote:
5 years ago at a family meal...say thanksgiving,,no cell phones allowed,.... now,,,those i-phones are a part of life..
When at anyone's table, no matter where you are, i-hones should also be put away, for family time is dinner or should be.

I have no problem with the younger generation, except that their parents lacked in parenting.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
It's nothing wrong with texting or facebooking while you are waiting for the meal but once the food comes texting should stop

there is nothing wrong with it, unless you are with someone else, if your alone, then fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships