Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 07:39 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
smt1111

Sometimes people criticize others about phone usage to justify their own reluctance to learn how to use technology.
Are you serious right now? Your unhappy with someone suggesting that you might be wrong, That you might be rude to your friends, if you engage in cell phone use, while with meeting with them for a few short hours and you come up with an insult like this....?

So totally deflective and childish....

Face the truth, and correct it, your friends deserve better than competing with a cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 06:36 AM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
The following documentary will be aired tomorrow evening on Australia's Channel 10 TV Network. I'm guessing that it will relate to this particular thread topic. It should be most interesting as all of the Todd Sampson programs are. This guy doesn't beat around the bush.

https://www.memorabletv.com/episodes...on-channel-10/

The 10 Network has announced the air date for Todd Sampson’s upcoming documentary special Mirror Mirror: Love & Hate.

Did you know that the typical Australian stares at their phone for 17 years of their life?

Without a doubt, the most potent and mentally distorting thing in existence is the internet.

There is no denying that the internet is altering the way we communicate, how we love and hate, but what effect will this have on us in the long run?

Join Todd Sampson over two nights as he investigates how the internet is transforming us and what we can do about it.

The question is whether we are already too late? This breathtaking documentary should not be missed.

Created and written by Todd Sampson, Mirror Mirror: Love & Hate is a Baltimore Films production for Network 10.

Airdate: Monday 10 October and Tuesday 11 October 2022 at 7.30pm on Channel 10.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:47 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The following documentary will be aired tomorrow evening on Australia's Channel 10 TV Network. I'm guessing that it will relate to this particular thread topic. It should be most interesting as all of the Todd Sampson programs are. This guy doesn't beat around the bush.

https://www.memorabletv.com/episodes...on-channel-10/

The 10 Network has announced the air date for Todd Sampson’s upcoming documentary special Mirror Mirror: Love & Hate.

Did you know that the typical Australian stares at their phone for 17 years of their life?

Without a doubt, the most potent and mentally distorting thing in existence is the internet.

There is no denying that the internet is altering the way we communicate, how we love and hate, but what effect will this have on us in the long run?

Join Todd Sampson over two nights as he investigates how the internet is transforming us and what we can do about it.

The question is whether we are already too late? This breathtaking documentary should not be missed.

Created and written by Todd Sampson, Mirror Mirror: Love & Hate is a Baltimore Films production for Network 10.

Airdate: Monday 10 October and Tuesday 11 October 2022 at 7.30pm on Channel 10.

Your colored font posts are unreadable. If you want to be read and taken seriously, you really need to use normal black font.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:14 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, you can also turn that analogy around and say, do you think your so special that your phone needs your undivided attentio all during the course of your meeting with them...it's down right rude, period....doesn't matter if your making phone calls or not, your glancing at your phone, you agreed to meet up and hang out for a while, are you so addicted to your phone that you need to glance at it...if I were with you, I'd out right say, "am I boring you?" and I don't believe I'd ever meet up with you again. Your telling that person your calls are so much more important to you then they are.

Leave it for God's sake, and go back to it after your get together.

It depends if you are on call , or a parent and have babysitter at home, or waiting for some news. One time I was waiting for an important text I let my dear friends know and when my phone in my bag vibrated I said excuse me , quickly glanced. They were just as happy to hear the news as I was.

Luckily I have friends who are polite and understanding as I am that sometimes we do need to check our phones. The only time I’d be peeved is if they take a social call while I’m sitting there but then I don’t have friends that do that.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:37 AM

215 posts, read 127,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Your colored font posts are unreadable. If you want to be read and taken seriously, you really need to use normal black font.
I can see / read red font as clearly as black....maybe it is your device?

Old 10-09-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolona1721 View Post
I can see / read red font as clearly as black....maybe it is your device?

It is not my device. It is the fact that many people, including myself, find blue and other colors of font uncomfortable (eye strain) and difficult to read. Some people don't realize, so I thought it would be worth mentioning.

I think that member may have interesting posts, but it's not worth the discomfort to find out.

It seems to me it should just be common courtesy in a public forum, to use black type, but not everyone thinks of it.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:14 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Quote:
It is not my device. It is the fact that many people, including myself, find blue and other colors of font uncomfortable (eye strain) and difficult to read. Some people don't realize, so I thought it would be worth mentioning. I think that member may have interesting posts, but it's not worth the discomfort to find out.
Actually, you're the only one of your 'many' that has raised the issue of the color font of my posts being difficult to read. I can read the posts in navy blue - or the occasional dark red - as clearly as I can read posts in black font. Otherwise, I would agree with you. As mentioned previously, the blue font I use is my choice of color as an individual. Until you brought this up, I would never have considered that this would be an issue to anyone.

Quote:
It seems to me it should just be common courtesy in a public forum, to use black type, but not everyone thinks of it.
It seems to me that ^ is rather a stretch. If font color was limited to black because to use anything other would be seen as not being common courtesy, then the color black would be our only option.

Anyway, here is my response to you in black. But, here is navy blue font right beside it. For my eyesight anyway, it's just as readable.

Old 10-10-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Actually, you're the only one of your 'many' that has raised the issue of the color font of my posts being difficult to read. I can read the posts in navy blue - or the occasional dark red - as clearly as I can read posts in black font. Otherwise, I would agree with you. As mentioned previously, the blue font I use is my choice of color as an individual. Until you brought this up, I would never have considered that this would be an issue to anyone.

It seems to me that ^ is rather a stretch. If font color was limited to black because to use anything other would be seen as not being common courtesy, then the color black would be our only option.

Anyway, here is my response to you in black. But, here is navy blue font right beside it. For my eyesight anyway, it's just as readable.

I was able to read until the last line. The blue hurts.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:32 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,474,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I've been out on countless dates, work dinners, work lunches, etc.

Most people understand how rude it is to just be on your phone. However, once it's times to go, getting on your phone is a good way to indicate "we had a good time, it's time to go now, check please."

I was on a recent date where the woman was just on her phone every single second, and as you can guess, she ended up getting her own ride back home. Luckily most of the dates I've been on consist of a person who has common sense.

That's what I would have done, plus let her pay her half of the check.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:44 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
So I think most of us agree that using a cell phone while eating with others at a restaurant is rude. However, I wonder how many of us make a distinction between checking a phone and playing on a phone..

I have breakfast once a month with sister. I usually leave my phone in my vehicle, she might check hers. She commented about me leaving it in my vehicle.

I said "I want you to talk to me, not at me. You deserve that"

She then quit bringing in hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships