Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:24 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,112,568 times

Advertisements

Maybe the teller was just teasing and you took it the wrong way. I worked in customer service and the customers can be sensitive over the simplest of things. Had someone asked me, I would also have said (teasingly) that I'm just the right age for a sucker and kept it moving.

As a side note, I am surprised that folks here call them "suckers". My family called them that my whole life. When I moved to Virginia, I was told that they are "lollipops" (which I knew was a synonym, but got the feeling that "sucker" was unacceptable). Then I wondered if it was a family or regionally used word.

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 03:38 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,852,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I felt like an idiot, but it wasn't the last sucker and there was nothing to indicate it was for kids only. It just seems so silly to scold someone for a sucker in an open space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You're never too old for a sucker. I would have done exactly as Swayersmom, except I might have handed the teller the wrapper and asked her politely to throw it out for me.

I'm with Mattie.

OP, I wanted to view this thread because I thought your subject heading was hilarious. And it is: I can't believe that your taking a sucker was/is even an issue (I'm cracking up as I type this, imagining the whole scene you described. I'm laughing WITH you, not AT you, btw) .

You're right: it was silly for her to say that. And unprofessional. And rude. You did nothing wrong, except putting the sucker back in the jar. Sucker! (kidding, kidding!).

I always take a sucker (or two) when I'm at the bank, because giving out lollipops is the least they can do for all the service fees they charge.

@metamorphosis: I'm used to calling them "lollipops," too.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:06 PM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Maybe the teller was just teasing and you took it the wrong way. I worked in customer service and the customers can be sensitive over the simplest of things. Had someone asked me, I would also have said (teasingly) that I'm just the right age for a sucker and kept it moving.

As a side note, I am surprised that folks here call them "suckers"
. My family called them that my whole life. When I moved to Virginia, I was told that they are "lollipops" (which I knew was a synonym, but got the feeling that "sucker" was unacceptable). Then I wondered if it was a family or regionally used word.

Interesting.
HAHAHAHA, that's what I was thinking when I first read this thread. I don't know anyone in real life who calls lollipops "suckers". But I know a Dum-Dum is a lollipop, so it was easy to figure out what the OP meant.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,321,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Common sense. The suckers are there for kids so they shut up while the parents conduct business.
Please. I enjoy a sucker every time I go to Wells Fargo.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,171,420 times
The woman was a jerk. They didn't have a sign saying it was for kids only. You are a client and the woman was totally in the wrong in saying what she said. It shows her ignorance of customer relations and if I owned the bank I would never want someone like that working for me and alienating and humiliating my clients over a 20 cent Dum Dum (forget how much they cost now). She's the real Dum-Dum. I was also tempted by a jar of lollipop type candies at my bank, too but since I was cutting down sugar, I didn't take one, but I doubt anyone would of given me a stink eye and said what that woman said if I did take one.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
I just left the bank where I went inside and deposited money with the teller. They have always had an open jar of suckers within reach, and I like suckers, so I took one as I have in the past. The teller, whom I've never seem before, said with a stern look "aren't you too old for that?" I didn't say anything and put it back.

I felt like an idiot, but it wasn't the last sucker and there was nothing to indicate it was for kids only. It just seems so silly to scold someone for a sucker in an open space.
Please. Next time....... enjoy it! Life is too short to put up with anyone who has such a bug up their butt they want to deny someone the simple joy of a free sucker.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,492,377 times
Quote:
I just left the bank where I went inside and deposited money with the teller. They have always had an open jar of suckers within reach, and I like suckers, so I took one as I have in the past. The teller, whom I've never seem before, said with a stern look "aren't you too old for that?" I didn't say anything and put it back.

The default answer is, "No." I have a clever one but it is slightly vulgar.

[]

Old 02-17-2014, 08:37 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,414,826 times
Talking lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I would've said, "NOPE" and would've left with it. =)
I would have said the same thing...'Nope'...but I doubt I would have left it at that. Sometimes bank tellers and grocery checkers as well, get me on a 20 minute soap box as to 'why they should not have said that to me'...lol It doesn't happen often, but it does happen...I usually begin with..'let me tell you why you shouldn't have said that to me...lol'...
Koale

Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,997,271 times
Are you sure she wasn't just joking with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships