Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:19 PM

52,396 posts, read 52,914,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
Not that long ago, people said similar things about Gen X folks as are now being said about millennials, such as how they are slackers, how they think doing certain things is beneath them, and how they don't respect the more experienced people at work.

Going back further, people used to complain about how boomers were coddled by their parents, acted over-entitled and didn't respect their elders.
Yeah, after much thought, I'm sure every generation said the same thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yep, always been this way.
Your officially an old fart and turning into your father.
Yeah, scary.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Those kinds are often the worst ---- the big talk makes up for the fact that they are still dependent on parents long after they should be.

It's not all that uncommon for kids at a certain age to be cocky and a bit full of themselves but life has a way of knocking that out of most of them.
Yeah, I hope so, cockiness is one of the things that drives me nuts... one of my personal pet peeves....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:43 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,763,901 times
High school fills many teenage kids with great confidence and hope for the future. The reality after college destroys this for many kids. It's so sad to see.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
High school fills many teenage kids with great confidence and hope for the future. The reality after college destroys this for many kids. It's so sad to see.
Yep... the college environment is really great, I loved it..... there was a feeling of, IDK to explain, but hope and you knew you were in a good place.

Then that ends and the reality of slogging it out doing the desk jockey thingy with deadlines, pressure, performance, etc etc.

The reality is in life is that no one really gives a rip about you.. I don't mean that to sound harsh, but I think that where the disillusion with the reality conflict happens...

I think that's why inspired my "rant" is it was called, is that I listen to young people and some, not all, note the disclaimer, they talk about things and they just don't really have a clue about how corporate America works........ business in general and life in general, as well......

Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,235,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Actually this has been the exact opposite experience for me. College is great but high school sucked.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,859,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I sort of resent some 23 yr old kid thinking I'm his peer. I'm not the kind of guy that demands respect, but don't treat me like we're equals in life, I've paid a lot more dues and have done a lot more in terms of responsibilities, pressures, and having to perform for work and in life. I hope I'm not coming off here as an A hole but I think you probably get what I'm saying.
Actually you are coming across as an a-hole with that paragraph. Having an "I'm up here and you're down there just because I'm older than you" attitude is very much being an a-hole.

BTW, the "these darned kids nowadays" talk has been going on for eons. Older people thought young folks were bratty in the 60s too. They complained all the time about the rebellious, lazy, useless hippies. Instead of "the hippies," it's now "the millenials" that get a lot of flack. This line of thinking is nothing new.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 01-01-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 08:32 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,859,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The reality is in life is that no one really gives a rip about you.. I don't mean that to sound harsh, but I think that where the disillusion with the reality conflict happens...
True, although if you are lucky a few people will genuinely care about you. That would be your mother and father, if they are good parents. I know if I were about to become homeless, my mother and father would keep me off the streets. If I were having a real hardship of some kind, I know it would deeply bother them and they would try to help me.

If you are married, your spouse may or may not care about you. I know tons of people who don't really like their spouse but don't leave due to kids, financial reasons, fear of loneliness, or just complacency.

Extended family? Forget it. Step parents? Forget it. Siblings? Usually they grow up and do their own thing. Children of your own? Depends if they like you.

So yeah, I'd say parents are quite often the only people in this world who will ever really love you.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Actually you are coming across as an a-hole with that paragraph. Having an "I'm up here and you're down there just because I'm older than you" attitude is very much being an a-hole.

BTW, the "these darned kids nowadays" talk has been going on for eons. Older people thought young folks were bratty in the 60s too. They complained all the time about the rebellious, lazy, useless hippies. Instead of "the hippies," it's now "the millenials" that get a lot of flack. This line of thinking is nothing new.
Whatever.... I admitted earlier in the thread that my thinking was obvious and every generation has said the same thing about each other.. I get that after reflection.. I know the boomers said it about Gen X'ers too... I get that.... I was sort of out of line in calling out millennia's....

I still stand by the fact that a 23 yr old kid shouldn't thinking of me as his peer... he just isn't... and not like its because he's not good enough, heck, I've actually worked with young guys that I know are gonna go further and do more than me.. so it isn't an ego thing per se.. it's a life experience and respect thing,... there's much more to it, but that is the basic jest.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,276,808 times
This has been happening since the beginning of time. 20 years olds think they know it all. (I know I did.) Then they get life experience and realize they were wrong about a few things.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,263,898 times
Its called the Cult of the Child and it is largely a 20th century phenomenon.

We had the baby boomers who started it, Gen X who ran with it, now we have Gen Y as in "why should I?"

Deprivations of the past are totally forgotten by today's youth which is THE most entitled generation ever.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:34 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,206,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Those kinds are often the worst ---- the big talk makes up for the fact that they are still dependent on parents long after they should be.

It's not all that uncommon for kids at a certain age to be cocky and a bit full of themselves but life has a way of knocking that out of most of them.
I totally agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships