Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,410,814 times

Advertisements

I truly believe the happier/more positive you are, the friendlier you are, and the friendlier people are to you.

(yes, I heard the deafening, 'well duh' but let me continue)

When I'm feeling down, everyone seems almost hostile, judging and grumpy - I project my feelings onto them. Whereas if I'm feeling 'up', they seem friendlier, more approving.

Yet there's an irony. When I'm down, I'm almost jealous/annoyed by happiness/laughter. I don't want people to be happy because I'm not happy. If they're laughing, I oughta be laughing too! (it's a selfish thought).

Whereas if I'm really happy, I almost get annoyed at all the frowns/glum faces I see on the bus or the train or at the supermarket. You just want to do a Richard Simmons' on them and ask them to turn that frown upside down...but you know you'll probably get a broken jaw for it.

But my point is, it seems when I'm happier I'm less shy, it's easier to talk to people (anyone, really), conversation is more positive, light-hearted, joking...it improves your social situation TREMENDOUSLY.

Just some advice to those having social problems. Try to be happy and NICE to people and you may find yourself surprised! That grump might not be so bad after all. Kill them with kindness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,127,529 times
Richard Simmons is hot.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Richard Simmons is hot.
'If I were straight I'd be all over you like a bad outfit, honey!'

Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Richard Simmons is hot.
Were you just thinking about his short shorts for the whole second half of my post?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,990,942 times
It's called the Law of Attraction.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 PM

286 posts, read 368,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I truly believe the happier/more positive you are, the friendlier you are, and the friendlier people are to you.
You mean me? In my experience, sometimes these are correlated, sometimes not.
Quote:
When I'm feeling down, everyone seems almost hostile, judging and grumpy - I project my feelings onto them.
Some people project more than others.
Quote:
Yet there's an irony. When I'm down, I'm almost jealous/annoyed by happiness/laughter. I don't want people to be happy
There's a funny aphorism, "misery loves company", what makes it funnier is that there's no counterpart aphorism, "happiness loves company". Maybe people love company? I see no wrong in wanting company, as in companionship, as that's a legitimate human need. But if you want to bring them down, then you don't deserve the company.
Quote:
Whereas if I'm really happy, I almost get annoyed at all the frowns/glum faces I see on the bus or the train or at the supermarket.
You just want to do a Richard Simmons' on them and ask them to turn that frown upside down...
It sounds like you're looking at people as if they're a show you paid to go see, in that you're unsatisfied when they don't deliver what you expected. Maybe it would be better to accept people as they are. Maybe they're not as glum as you think they are, or maybe they are. If you want to help them, help based on what they want, not what you think they need. Or just don't worry about it.
Quote:
Just some advice to those having social problems. Try to be happy and NICE to people and you may find yourself surprised! That grump might not be so bad after all. Kill them with kindness!
I'm in favor of kindness. I think being accepting of people as they are, and not projecting stuff onto them, would be kind as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's called the Law of Attraction.
The law of attraction says, "like attracts like" (kind of like saying, "birds of a feather flock together"). While this tends to happen in a lot of situations, there are times when it doesn't. Calling something a "law" without rigorous scientific confirmation is a bit of a stretch. I suppose that's forgivable, since it's not the first time we've seen a belief system that claims to be true, right, and applicable for all beings, all the time. Perhaps people need stuff like that.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,157,522 times
I've found this to be true for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships