Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 06:07 AM

7,453 posts, read 13,436,146 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking families or work, more help in the community and things you do in your spare time. I've always enjoyed helping people and seeing the difference it makes in their lives (the karma thread got me thinking about this). While I've done various things over the years, would say right now, not doing alot. What I do, do is donate blood and have for a few years.

Just thought It wouldn't be a bad Idea to have a thread on this, to get Ideas and who knows some people may take them on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,145 times
This is a way to build relationships with people...so I guess it fits here

Working at the bank you are involved all the time in giving back to the communities you lend money to. It's called the Community Reinvestment Act. Some banks make you (they ask you but make sounds more appropriate LOL) donate to charities, but the good banks give you time away from your desk to actively participate.

I do breast cancer walks.
Run the telephones at the Christmas children auction that is televised.
Volunteer my services to a disabled friend so she doesn't have to have a state stranger come in and take her out.

I actually pull over on the side of the road in my truck, on Wednesday's and put people's trash bins in my truck, and drive them back up to their house. These are strangers, just neighbors who live far down the street and don't know who I am or where I live, and I'm sure they think I"m stealing their trash bins...but they blow into the main street and get crushed. So when they are not home, I take their cans to their house, and some of their drive ways are half a mile long LOL.

I just imagine someone coming home and thinking their trash men do this, or wonder who the hell takes their trash cans up to their house on wednesdays for no reason at all?

I have seen homeless people in the city and drive out to buy the 10 taco meal at taco bell, and 4 drinks, and drop them off all over cities before.

I should probably include Immodium AD in the bag with those...now that I think about it.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:27 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times
While I do a significant volunteer work, I think it is more the little things we do day to day you can't put a lable on that makes a difference. Ever drive in a parking lot on a cold and windy day and even though you have the right of way you stop and let people walk in front of you? Let someone in front of you in traffic? Have you ever let someone cut in line before you at a grocery store, or catch that someone needs the door held open instead of walking off into your own little world? It's those little things I believe makes the biggest difference where Karma and doing things for others is best applied - not grand gestures and it provokes other people to think and do the same for others they come across. Eventually, in time, it all gets spread around and not exactly act for exact act.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 AM

27,365 posts, read 27,416,550 times
I dont want to be heroic but last winter I pulled a couple of stranded cars out of intersections that were stranded in the snow and couldnt move because the road was slickery, icy.
Though I cant do much monetarily, have still helped in other ways, like letting my grandson (back in Az) use my sunglasses when the brightness was hurting his eyes in the back seat (we were on the freeway facing the sunset) or sharing my lunch with someone at work who was broke before payday and didnt have anything to eat at home or at work. I pack a huge lunchbox anyway so always have extra.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:33 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,587,286 times
Started giving blood last February. The second time in, they asked if I would donate platelets. Sure. Now I donate platelets about once a month. Takes about 2 hrs. total for me. I like doing it. Never been a fan of needles though.

Last edited by dfour; 10-18-2009 at 09:50 AM..

Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,186,872 times
I just like to be kind to everyone. Smile and say hi, perhaps hold a door open any kind act or behavior that all to often seems to be forgotten.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,810,373 times
I'm a coast guard auxilliary volunteer and help when I have free time. I also like to befriend all the women on CD and then leave them erotic messages making them feel unique, even though I sometimes tell up to fifteen of them per day that they are special.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:20 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
I've not done much other than what is offered to us through my workplace (we sponsor a family at Christmas, and do various different events throughout the year). The runs that I do are always charity-based.

I do give blood regularly - several times a year. No big deal.

I have just signed up my son and I both, for Habitat for Humanity. Not sure how that will work out as the projects seem to be spaced pretty far apart, but we'll see.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM

966 posts, read 2,447,768 times
1. Hosting and doing community outreach / p.r. for open mics

2. Being available when someone needs a listening ear or some conversation

3. Random acts of kindness, such as smiling, winking, holding doors open, saying thank you, etc.

4. Helping to keep the classroom or office clean, even though that's not a part of my job description

5. Participating and trying to be helpful in online forums, such as city-data and yahoo answers

6. Giving homeless people or panhandlers money, a blessing, and an encouraging smile or word

7. Playing with or caring for little kids when their parents seem weary or in need of help

8. Writing, performing, and publishing poetry and songs that I hope will soothe or enlighten

Thanks for asking. I am glad someone here in the forum understands that karma is not just about the bad stuff that we do and have blow back on us. It's also about the good we can do and naturally benefit from in the world or in our lives. Imo, the key is not to do good in the world in order to receive some benefit from it but rather to do good in the world because this is what must be done.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,126,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I'm a coast guard auxilliary volunteer and help when I have free time. I also like to befriend all the women on CD and then leave them erotic messages making them feel unique, even though I sometimes tell up to fifteen of them per day that they are special.

....checking empty DM box.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships