Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 04:31 PM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times

Advertisements

That stuff wouldn't fly in our family. Maybe it's cultural, as being humble is considered a good thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 PM

52,348 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That stuff wouldn't fly in our family. Maybe it's cultural, as being humble is considered a good thing.
It may be cultural IDK, I think the Asian cultures teach young people to be "respectful" of the older folks. Again, IDK, I do have a co-worker and met his teenage son and he seemed nice and polite etc etc.

I think you see it a lot on TV sit coms the kids being snotty or bratty to the parents and you hear the "laugh track" going indicating it's supposed to be funny.

I know my mom would have knocked my head off my neck if I'd said half of the crap you see in movies/tv etc etc nowadays....

Old 12-25-2013, 04:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,323,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Over-inflated sense of self? Pot, meet kettle. Without examples of exactly what inspired this rant, it's hard to know exactly what you are talking about, but I don't know what kind of "dues" you've paid, or "pressures" and "responsibilities" you have that make you think a whole generation of people are beneath you. Sorry, I don't care what you've been through, no one owes you anything.

Yeah, you came across as an a-hole.

Are you in your 20's?

He never said anyone owed him anything, he said he does not appreciate being treated like a peer by the young ones who do not have as much life or work experience as Mr. Chow.

There is a huge difference between being equals in life and work experience
and being the young one without much of either.
If you don't know the difference you should ask someone older who can explain it to you slowly, in terms you can understand.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:51 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,783,859 times
I don't really get why so many people think Millennials are disrespectful punks. Most people in my generation, I was born in '90 so I am a Millennial, volunteer, work hard in school and at work, enjoy visiting their grandparents. Honestly we're probably the least rebellious generation in a long time. I almost feel like of anything we are too complacent.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:58 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
With the holidays winding down and seeing more and more family members lately I've been noticing things about the younger members of the family and wonder if it is just Mrs. Chows family or the larger trend.

I notice now how a lot of younger people, people in their 20's, how they seem to have an over-inflated sense of their self, an-over inflated sense of false confidence, for a lack of another way of saying it.

Is it just the way kids have been raised the last 20 yrs or so, the helicopter parenting, the no one loses in sports, everyone gets a trophy type thing. Am I missing the boat or am I right.

I notice the young guys in Mrs. Chow family just bloviate and talk like they are some kind of movers and shakers in society.

I guess having confidence is one thing, but these kids haven't been around long enough to have done shyt... you know what I mean???

I sort of resent some 23 yr old kid thinking I'm his peer. I'm not the kind of guy that demands respect, but don't treat me like we're equals in life, I've paid a lot more dues and have done a lot more in terms of responsibilities, pressures, and having to perform for work and in life. I hope I'm not coming off here as an A hole but I think you probably get what I'm saying.

Has this always been the case or just a phenomenon of the millennial generation.
This has been around a long time. Are you talking about female as well as male "kids"? I've mostly seen it among young males (for about 20 years), and I wonder who raised these guys to think they're the center of the universe, and instant experts upon getting their B.A. I've actually been lectured about my own professional area of expertise (in which I have over 20 years' experience) by a "kid" who still hadn't finished college yet, but he'd done an internship, so that made him an expert!

I dunno, Chow. But parenting has never been our society's strong point. Sure there was a time when being quietly effective and humble was valued. But I think since the Victorian era, which was the opposite extreme of today's indulgent parenting, Americans have been lost as to how to raise healthy, happy adults. Generally speaking. Though there are plenty of examples of people who somehow managed to do a good job, in spite of cultural obstacles.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:09 PM

52,348 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This has been around a long time. Are you talking about female as well as male "kids"? I've mostly seen it among young males (for about 20 years), and I wonder who raised these guys to think they're the center of the universe, and instant experts upon getting their B.A. I've actually been lectured about my own professional area of expertise (in which I have over 20 years' experience) by a "kid" who still hadn't finished college yet, but he'd done an internship, so that made him an expert!

I dunno, Chow. But parenting has never been our society's strong point. Sure there was a time when being quietly effective and humble was valued. But I think since the Victorian era, which was the opposite extreme of today's indulgent parenting, Americans have been lost as to how to raise healthy, happy adults. Generally speaking. Though there are plenty of examples of people who somehow managed to do a good job, in spite of cultural obstacles.
I've seen more subtle versions of it by the young women in the family, a sort of slight competition type thing. I think with the men maybe they are trying a little too hard to impress others, IDK..... I suppose every generation crabs and whines about the next one coming up.

I just think about the last 20 yrs or so, people my age, mid forties, it seems like we put our children in the 'center of the universe' if that makes any sense.

When we were growing up the kids were a bit more in the background, I distinctly remember get togethers and the adults socialized and the kids were told to go "play in the yard" or something along those lines.

Now its like we've gone to far the other way in building up children's self esteem.... LOL.... some think that the world revolves around them and in all fairness of course it's not every young person..... I can be objective enough to see that.

Last edited by Chowhound; 12-25-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 05:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,007,958 times
My parents were the opposite of helicopter parents.

We lived in the country, and when I was 5 and sis and neighbors were 3 and 4 we would play down at the creek alone, out of sight and hearing. We were alone around dangerous farm machinery and animals all the time. One of my friends, age 7 same as me, got killed in front of my eyes by a horse, no adult witnesses.

But I still thought I knew everything when I was 20 . I think it's biological.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times
In my experience, many in their early 20s are that way in general, especially those who have had a pretty secure upbringing and are well educated.

They just came out of college, they had a fairly failure-free childhood and adolescence, and maybe have a decent job. To them, life still looks like it will always be an upward trajectory.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:37 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,278,373 times
chow,, ive seen this alot at work,,, talk the talk, but doesnt walk the walk,,, (im from the school actions speak louder than words)

the louder one speaks, the less they are heard-

the arrogant young men ive seen, FEEL they have to be arrogant, because they feel the opposite... major overcompensation..

arrogance doesnt fly in our family,,,, the blowhards will be asked to leave,, the "one-upmanship" (whatever you have, or have done, they have bigger or done better) also isnt tolerated..

The Tao of Kung Fu #18 - "Disregard how others see you." - YouTube

"is it not better to see yourself truly, than care how others see you"

Old 12-25-2013, 05:57 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,192,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've seen more subtle versions of it by the young women in the family, a sort of slight competition type thing. I think with the men maybe they are trying a little too hard to impress others, IDK..... I suppose every generation crabs and whines about the next one coming up.

I just think about the last 20 yrs or so, people my age, mid forties, it seems like we put our children in the 'center of the universe' if that makes any sense.

When we were growing up the kids were a bit more in the background, I distinctly remember get togethers and the adults socialized and the kids were told to go "play in the yard" or something along those lines.

Now its like we've gone to far the other way in building up children's self esteem.... LOL.... some think that the world revolves around them and in all fairness of course it's not every young person..... I can be objective enough to see that.
I couldn't agree more....the 20 somethings are way more full of themselves, way more arrogant & way more narcissistic than our generation ever could've come close to.
It's infuriating, to say the least.
I also agree that it must be tied into the way we were raised, compared to the way that generation was raised.
We were in the background.
"Children should be seen & not heard" was the philosophy when we were kids. The 20 somethings have been ruined....the parents have brought them up going way too easy on the discipline, & teaching them to have no respect.
Add to that Facebook, where they're constantly seeking attention, attention & more attention......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships