Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,631,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There is no need to make them. Resist.

All your "observations" reveal is the depth of your contempt for others.

People have annoyed each other for centuries. Your rants are nothing new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. Talk about preening self righteousness.

You're not attending a chamber quartet here. While the music is a central feature, it is not the only reason people are coming. You're listening to music at events that serve as a way for young and mostly single people to enjoy themselves. They are not there to discuss Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, or Heidegger. They are there to enjoy the music, have a fun time on a date, and to socialize.

What's more, the supreme irony of your post is that you lambaste others for being both holier-than-thou and pretentious, while you absolutely wallow in those qualities. I mean, the self-congratulation drips from every indignant syllable you write. My word. I guess the world really is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness.

These posts say it all.

Honestly, do you think you're being unique when you're a self-admitted "young person" who criticizes their own generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:29 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,844,789 times
What I always do immediately following a gig to find You Tube clips so I can relive. Filming doesn't bother me at all. Once upon a time you couldn't even snap a picture at even a small club gig without being pounced upon by security. Live music footage was extremely rare and a highly prized acquisition, if I had something good, I would watch it over and over again. Now there is so much I could never watch everything on the bands I like in my lifetime.

What bothers me more is people yammering away with no regard for the musician on stage or the people trying to listen. There is plenty of that.

One thing I wonder about though, for people making multiple trips to the bar, is where the hell they get the money?

I don't go to make friends, I often go by myself to watch the bands, but I have made friends and there are other people I have seen every time for 5 years and never spoken a word to.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:30 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,077,276 times
I share a fair amount of the same feelings as the OP (though I'm 2x his age) but discovered a foolproof way to deal: I don't go clubbing anymore, and only go to live music rarely.

Problem solved. No rants needed.

Have to say it didn't take me long, fortunately, to realize there's way way more to life than clubbing/concerts/bars, but so be it. I get the sense that the OP is forcing himself to go clubbing/concerts/bars due to a lack of imagination.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 AM

895 posts, read 1,707,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I share a fair amount of the same feelings as the OP (though I'm 2x his age) but discovered a foolproof way to deal: I don't go clubbing anymore, and only go to live music rarely.

Problem solved. No rants needed.

Have to say it didn't take me long, fortunately, to realize there's way way more to life than clubbing/concerts/bars, but so be it. I get the sense that the OP is forcing himself to go clubbing/concerts/bars due to a lack of imagination.
Where'd you get that idea?

Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,943,280 times
It's pretty simple, first get off your high horse... and if you're not "into" a certain scene or it's "getting old" then find a new scene...

I'm 30 now with a wife and a baby girl... my wife and I still like to get out when we can but it's no longer the college days where we're "clubbin" or finding the "hot spot" where all the people are.

You have to make adjustments in life... clearly you should try it.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,867,824 times
Geez folks, lay off the guy a bit (even though yeah he does seem tending towards being a grumpy old man lol jk). I can relate to the sentiments, I mean clubbing and EDM in general is just about hedonism, so OP, if you're not into that just avoid those kind of places. There are plenty of places where people aren't like that, but I do find people these days are less social, just hanging out with their own group or using their smartphone as a shield. Part of the reason i rarely go out these days anymore myself. If i want to see a gig I just go there and watch it. If i meet someone, cool, if not it's no biggie.

But yeah they aren't good places to meet people anymore, which is a pity because they're one of the few avenues where you can mingle with a lot of people.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:07 PM

39,378 posts, read 27,763,095 times
well, I've noticed people who like clubbing acknowledge its flaws, but don't get as bent out of shape about them as op does. Sometimes folks just want to go out and have some fun.

My friend and I go in knowing what we can and can't do at clubs. We don't get ticked off because we can't do something like have an in-depth conversation, because we never went in with the expectation that we could do that. In another word, I've never expected to find somebody whom I can talk about politics or cure for cancer at club. You just have to have reasonable expectations. Op.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,395,435 times
1) Honestly OP if these types of people bother you so much, just avoid the scene. Or try to find people who have the same opinion as you, and you can all stay in and complain about how pretentious the typical college students/young professionals are.

2) What you observe as people putting on fronts, not sure how you know that since you have probably never met or will even give a chance to get to know these people

3) Yes, some behaviour in bars is obnoxious, but not everyone is like that.

4) Girls in bars do not get defensive solely because there are douche bag guys out there. As a women, if a guy came up to me, I may or may not have wanted to talk to him for a variety of reasons, some of which were:
  • a) he seemed super creepy
    b) I was having girl-time, and honestly did not want to talk to anyone new that night
    c) too hard to hear, just wanted to focus on music/dancing

5) Europe will be no different. You will find the same type of pretensions and the same type of women who will put up defenses. Sorry to break your little fantasy.

6) I think the reason people come down hard on you is you complain about not being able to meet people, but you trash everyone and seem to find few redeeming qualities in anyone, and honestly, I highly doubt you are at a point right now where you can drop what ever preconceived notions you have about people to actually get to know someone.

7) Concerts and Bars are bad places to go if you are hoping to make friends and have in-depth conversations that are not on a superficial topic.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,409,611 times
I am so glad I got over all this going out drinking, clubbing, carry on nonsense before I was legally old enough to walk into any of those type places or legally purchase alcohol.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:36 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,944,845 times
I'm in my early 30s and never once stepped foot into a bar or night club. It's really not my scene and I don't question others motives for attending such venues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships