Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 03:25 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with a bully as an adult. I have a few - step child, coworker, sibling? Other than complete avoidance, how do you keep such an individual from bullying or attempting to bully you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 03:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Play out typical scenarios...come up with great things that will stop them in their boots...
Not below the belt stuff, bec you want to be a good example of power dealt out with grace and clarity
and temperance....

Then, practice these 'sayings' so u won't be caught 'off guard'.
When you say them, pivot and walk away...leaving them with your power lingering...

Starting could sound like..."Oh, don't you EVEN try pulling that on me...
"Oh you wish you...."
"Oh if only you knew bla bla....

Fill in the blanks...the power is in zipping it and showing them
your back as you leave.
See, being a bully...few stand up to them.
They are left with their mouth dropped.

They won't be chosing YOU to bully anymore, no sirree.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
At work we find alot of little supervisors or just team leaders like to bully-- my take- I chase them. hey Larry what about this, Sue, Sue, SUE<,, I need your help,, hello can you tell me how to,,, hey Jack, need your knowledge.. they stay far away from me. and they make others cry-but honey turn it around. stay on their case. bring it ON!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Stand up to them! If you have to say, "Sorry I think you're out of line,"
"You're rude, crude and socially unacceptable."
"I don't care for your attitude and find our relationship toxic." and walk away.

OR as soon as they start, turn your back to them.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,059 times
Send them to me! Imma whoop that azz! But seriously as an adult you have to learn to cope.

For one your vocabulary is more developed, so use it! Curse them out! You have the skills to call law enforcement do so & above all, if you are being bullied as an adult, you probably need therapy because normal adults know how to use the resources known to them.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I wouldn't deal with them, I'd cut them out of my life by whatever means necessary. The fact that you want to deal with it makes you an easy target for bullies.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:31 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Step 1: laugh in their face.

Step 2: peperspray!

But seriously, stand up to them. (and keep the spray in your back pocket!)

Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
We had a bully lady at work and she would curse at you if she got mad . Well she was friends with the owner of the business and she would get a free pass because of that .I wonder when it will dawn on the owner that she is the reason he is going through receptionists like water . Well I eventually left because of her but had I known that they went through three receptionists before me I would have never taken the job .Well when I walked in there to pick up my check I let them know that not only did I get another job but the pay was three times what I was making there . Well anyways one of the girls told me she said " how did she rate that ? when I walked out and left . Well probably not cursing at my co workers and not being a biotch !!!LOL.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
We had a bully lady at work and she would curse at you if she got mad . Well she was friends with the owner of the business and she would get a free pass because of that .I wonder when it will dawn on the owner that she is the reason he is going through receptionists like water . Well I eventually left because of her but had I known that they went through three receptionists before me I would have never taken the job .Well when I walked in there to pick up my check I let them know that not only did I get another job but the pay was three times what I was making there . Well anyways one of the girls told me she said " how did she rate that ? when I walked out and left . Well probably not cursing at my co workers and not being a biotch !!!LOL.
I'll never understand employers who keep unpleasant people on as employees, even knowing they cause others to quit. My son was recently in a job like that and even though it was common knowledge that certain people were nasty THEY were the ones who got the promotions while everyone else suffered or quit. I almost wonder if the bosses are bullied, or at least intimidated, by these kinds of people. Nothing about being a business owner makes you a good judge of character either.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Bullies like being predators great offense but zero defense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships