Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 PM

39 posts, read 200,018 times

Advertisements

Same question as my other thread. My daughter is interested in these 2 Suny colleges and we are wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of both areas. Weather,crime and hospitals. Hospitals because she will be majoring in nursing and doing clinicals in area hospitals. We know that in Plattsburgh the main hospital in the area is near the college but at Brockport we think she would have to travel into Rochester. We're concerned about driving conditions, things to do and neighborhood safety. Any input is greatly appreciated. I will answer any questions about the nassau county area on long island.

Thanks
ej
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
Brockport is not very far from Rochester at all...in fact, it's in the same county (Monroe County) the drive from Brockport to downtown Rochester is about 20-25 minutes at most...and to the suburbs its less. Plattsburgh is really kind of isolated, whereas in Brockport you are just outside of Rochester, close to Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Toronto....more in the "mainstream" part of the state.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:23 PM

Is Rochester a nice city? I mean, we've never been there but I've been to Buffalo and Syracuse and although I only spent quick stays (business) they didn't really stand out as vibrant. No offense to those cities. I actually live in the suburbs of NYC and we are not found of the city life anyway. But, if she's going to learn in hospitals of an area we would like it to be nice and not crime ridden and unsafe like some areas of NYC.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
is Rochester an exciting city compared to NYC....not really (I would definitely rather LIVE in Rochester than NYC though)....is it more exciting than Plattsburgh....absolutely.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:27 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,043 times
Plattsburgh is in walking distance to its hospital. With Brockport you would need a car to get to the hospitals. Brockport has more of a meat head jock type atmosphere. Plattsburgh has more of a laid back atmosphere. You would be safe in both places. As far as things to do, in Brockport you would have to travel to Rochester which is only about 25 min away. Plenty of things to do there. If she were in Plattsburgh she would be right next to the Adirondack mountains. If she is into skiing/snowboarding she would be in heaven. Plattsburgh is also a little over an hour away from Montreal which IMO is the best city on the east coast. I would imagine in Rochester her nursing work would deal with more "city" issues. She might get a better all around work experience there.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:12 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
Never been to Brockport, have a friend who is a professer there though. I'm going to try and get out there this summer.
Plattsburg is a nice, small City. I'm not sure I would call it isolated though. Heck, it's practically a suburb of Montreal which is a little under an hour away. Burlington VT is a ferry ride away and a great small City.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 AM

Anybody have any experience with Amtrak? Plattsburgh has a station which could make traveling to and from Long Island a little easier. I could drive up while she's on the train coming down and meet in the middle. Say, Saratoga.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:36 AM

I knew people that took the train. They were not too fond of it. Makes the trip a few hours longer, even if you are going to Saratoga. If she is in the least bit social she will be able to find somebody with a car to drive her. Almost every weekend people travel home. There is also a "ride board" posted in the college center. There are enough long island people at the school to find a ride home any weekend.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 AM

Any big difference in weather pattern. I know there both 'cold' but what about snow and such? Does Brockport get more lake effect snow?

Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 AM

I would say Brockport would get more snow. I'm in Rochester and I'm just assuming that the get as much snow as we do. Plattsburgh was more icy and windy. Other than that, I'd say they are similar as far as weather goes. Plattsburgh seemed to be more humid in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York