Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,448 times

Advertisements

I'm having trouble deciding on wjat college to go to, with Brockport college or Jamestown community college. Which city is better, It seems like Brockport is kind of racist. Also, are there busses in Jamestown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 AM

93,609 posts, read 124,322,716 times
From the looks of things, both are different situations, as Jamestown is a small city and JCC is a 2 year college and Brockport is a village, with SUNY-Brockport being a 4 year college. Have you been to visit either place yet? Brockport is not too far from Rochester and may offer more in terms of things to do.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 AM

I've visited Brockport and I was wondering if its racist

Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otinthemaking View Post
I've visited Brockport and I was wondering if its racist
Why, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,213,335 times
I think you need to decide what you're interested in as a course of study first. If you are interested in a vocational/skills career then Jamestown CC may be just right for you since it's a 2 year community college with strong programs in nursing, OTA, welding, and computer technology. If you are interested in a career that requires a bachelor's degree, then you would have to transfer after two years from JCC to a four year school. Jamestown does have transfer agreements with numerous 4 year colleges, including most upstate SUNY colleges, so if you get a C or better, your JCC credits transfer.

JCC has about 3000 students a semester but about a third are part timers. Most are commuters. The school has three dormitories holding about 300 students. There is such limited bus service in Jamestown that you might as well say there isn't any.

Jamestown has a small African American population. It has a larger Latino population, primarily Puerto Rican I think, but there may be more Mexicans and Central Americans among recent immigrants. The traditional minority neighborhoods have been north of downtown Jamestown, from about Monroe Street east to East Second Street, but residential segregation seems to be much less based on race and more on economic status.

As a white person who lived for twenty years in Buffalo, a city that I think is racist, I don't think Jamestown is particular "racist". There's a tradition of tolerance in the city and the surrounding areas despite the fact that there are ignorant bigots here, too. For the most part, I think most whites here look beyond color, primarily because so many of the local low-lifes around here tend to be white.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM

With Brockport, it is kind of a 3rd ring suburb/small town hybrid with some Black and Hispanic residents(about 4-5% of each), but its proximity to Rochester can allow for more cultural offerings. There is a bus system, but I'm not sure about how good it is. I don't know if it is racist, but being a college town may offer a more open minded vibe. Racism is present everywhere and it may be a matter of being aware of what is going on. With that said, I think you would be fine.

BTW- Jamestown is around 9% Hispanic and around 4-7% Black(full /part).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-01-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,213,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With Brockport, it is kind of a 3rd ring suburb/small town hybrid with some Black and Hispanic residents(about 4-5% of each), but its proximity to Rochester can allow for more cultural offerings. There is a bus system, but I'm not sure about how good it is. I don't know if it is racist, but being a college town may offer a more open minded vibe. Racism is present everywhere and it may be a matter of being aware of what is going on. With that said, I think you would be fine.

BTW- Jamestown is around 9% Hispanic and around 4-7% Black(full /part).
I have heard many more anti-Latino comments than anti-Black comments in Jamestown, and that's probably because Latinos, particularly Latinos who speak Spanish, are more numerous. There are a lot of older people here who get offended because people don't speak English -- not that it affects them personally but because just because they do. Most younger people, particularly those in Jamestown, don't seem to care.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I have heard many more anti-Latino comments than anti-Black comments in Jamestown, and that's probably because Latinos, particularly Latinos who speak Spanish, are more numerous. There are a lot of older people here who get offended because people don't speak English -- not that it affects them personally but because just because they do. Most younger people, particularly those in Jamestown, don't seem to care.
This makes sense, as age plays a big factor in this. Younger kids in both places are more likely to be use to going to school with kids of both backgrounds to a degree. So, it probably isn't as big of a deal to them. Jamestown has had a consistent Black community/population for a long time and it could be a matter of who people know too. I could be wrong, but it looks like Jamestown actually has 2 Black city council members. I was surprised to see that and I think it has been that way for a while. City of Jamestown, New York - Members

Old 07-01-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why, if you don't mind me asking?
I felt like I was getting a lot if weird stares while I was there

Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otinthemaking View Post
I felt like I was getting a lot if weird stares while I was there
Interesting.....Why do you think that was the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York