Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:04 AM

3 posts, read 8,654 times

Advertisements

as far as amtrack goes…yes, the ride is longer but it travels along the lake into some beautiful country. i recently took the train from nyc to plattsburgh and it was so relaxing as compared to flying upstate- which is quick but you have to deal with headache of airline travel. i don't know about brockport getting more snow than plattsburgh, plattsburgh gets plenty of snow but the city and towns do a pretty good job of clearing the roads. Plattsburgh is provincial but it is a great historical town located on the montreal-albany-nyc corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,269 times
Default Plattsburg v Brockport

Plattsburg is frigid cold in the winter. Had a friend that went to school up there and went to visit..... -20 is never out of the possibility.

Rochester is a nice city, and Brockport is a nice town. There are a couple of hole in the wall college bars in Brockport, and the night life in Rochester is really pretty good.

As for Amtrack I took it to NYC last summer. It was a bit of a hike (8 hours), but I paid the extra $40 and got first class so the trip went by pretty quick. There is an Amtrack station right in the city of Rochester, about 20 minutes from SUNY Brockport.

Both schools are great choices, Plattsburg just seemed to be in the middle of nowhere and very very cold. Brockport may get a little more snow, but the temp at least stays in positive digits ~360 days a year!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 PM

518 posts, read 2,014,299 times
Post Don't know Brockport, but..........

I do work part time at the hospital here in the Burrrrgh. Yes, it gets cold, very cold, but I am from the south orignally and I went back to college for masters, walked around campus for a few winters just 3 years ago and you just walk fast and layer.....I am always surprised to see students with no jackets on when it is cold outside.....And there are tons of Long Islanders here..........many of them find they love this area and what it has to offer and they decide to stay here. The hospital here is growing and has a great reputation for quality. If she wants a larger hospital later, Burlington is just across the lake. I know people who live in VT and Montreal who work at CVPH here and I also know Pburgh nurses who travel to Fletcher Allen in Bton to work there. It depends on your specialty and supply and demand and who needs what personnel.......and is willing to pay the big bucks for you.......As I said, I don't know Brockport and crime stats, etc, but Pburgh gals walk everywhere....summer and winter without too many problems at all anytime of night/day. Amtrak is good. I usually take it down to the Reneselear (sp?) station, then can get to Albany or get my ride or transfer to the NYC train if going to the big city.........Another thing that may sound "iffy" right now is the bus. However, the bus here is full of Pburghers/students who take Greyhound home......Believe me, the bus station up here is fine and decent. It is next to a great Greek restaurant and in a very good part of town. It may be your best bet since the train only runs once per day both north and south through Pburgh, so it may not always be convenient for her to catch the train after classes, or for a long weekend, etc. I have a college daughter myself and I would have no qualms about Pburgh. (She's in a program in Albany which I do have some qualms about.....but that's another story.) The nursing program here also has a great reputation and actually she may love experiencing the outdoors and Adirondacks and Lake Placid and Vermont and Montreal..........The people here are just wonderful also.....If her car breaks down or she ever needs anything, most people will help her without hesitation. I had a flat tire about 3 months ago and pulled over to the side of the road and by the time I got the flashers on and was getting out of the car, three cars had pulled over to help me..........People are golden up here. Brockport may be the exact same way; I have no idea. Just sharing what I know about this area...........

Old 06-10-2007, 05:40 AM

39 posts, read 200,118 times
Thanks for the detailed reply burgher. We'll be visiting in August. Now I just need some info on Brockport

Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,558 times
Well, both are pretty nice towns, and the colleges are equal acedemically, but Brockport has close proximity to Rochester which has tons of culture for a city it's size. Crime shouln't be an issue in either town. Plattsburgh gets significantly colder in the winter due to being inland more, while Brockport is 10 min. from lake ontario. Parkridge is the largest hopital close to Brockport (in Greece- 12 min. east). I think she would be happy with either school.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,175 times
brockport has a hospital down the raod...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York