Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:26 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

Political parties are dumb. They do more harm than good.
Levy should just cheat his way to the Gov position just like Bush did with the presidency. I loathe politics and politicians, but I think Levy could possibly make a difference if he makes it to the top spot. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Hotkarl...my guess is you haven't even voted for years? am I correct?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 AM

292 posts, read 820,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
According to the 2000 census, 13.61% of the state speaks Spanish at home.

If these groups can convince Hispanics state wide that Levy is not their friend, that's a big group of people. I'm not saying there's any truth to it, I'm just telling you that's what's going to happen.
Interesting - I noticed no such question on the 2010 form.

I'm not worried in the least about any "Hispanic lobby".

Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post

You should worry.
Voting for a candidate because he merely caters to "Hispanic" votes, or "Catholic" votes, "Womens" votes, etc or even voting for a guy just because he's "Black" is not good for soceity.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post

My wife was filing ours out last night and she said there was a question about being Hispanic or not.

I'm worried that the issue of illegal immigration will be co-opted by Hispanic power seeking groups and used as weapon to convince non-illegal Hispanics..who vote...that Levy is "anti-immigrant", ie anti-hispanic, as opposed to anti-illegal.

Even if you have the right answers on questions like these, the vitriol like that of the REV-er-end Hernandez can be pretty over the top.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
You should worry.
Voting for a candidate because he merely caters to "Hispanic" votes, or "Catholic" votes, "Womens" votes, etc or even voting for a guy just because he's "Black" is not good for soceity.

I agree. I also think that it's bad for society that people vote for someone because a crackpot that Sean Hannity gives audience to on Fox News says that Obama was born in Kenya..but I digress. There are a lot of stupid reasons that people vote.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Hotkarl...my guess is you haven't even voted for years? am I correct?
Hell, I'm not even a U.S. citizen and I can barely speak or read the Queen's English. Habla Francois Chupacabras? Or something like that.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:39 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
I am selfish....I would like him to stay in Suffolk

Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Hell, I'm not even a U.S. citizen and I can barely speak or read the Queen's English. Habla Francois Chupacabras? Or something like that.
That alone qualifies you to vote for any Democrat.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Wow, Steve Levy can't stop talking about police compensation, I guess he is a "cop basher" too, eh. Maybe his thread on the Daily News can be locked.

The Unions will be after him with a full scale hit campaign, including my wifes. what can I say, it's what needs to be done.

From the story:

1. Declare a fiscal emergency. Gov. Paterson and Ravitch recently called for the creation of a financial review board. Good idea - with a caveat. Unfortunately his review board is emphasizing borrowing instead of the need to cut costs.
We need a board with the power to declare a fiscal emergency that would permit the government to do what it ordinarily would not: Control wages and benefits,and alter the restrictive Taylor Law, which can be the taxpayers' worst nightmare.
I suggest we take all budget reforms - swept under the rug for the last decade - and place them in a single package that will automatically take effect unless the Legislature votes it down.
I agree with one important component of the Ravitch plan: Enabling the government to impound 10% of all expenditures when the budget is not in balance. I exercised this power on a number of occasions in submitting six consecutive balanced budgets in Suffolk.
2. Cap local and state spending. In Suffolk, we put in place a spending cap that did not lead to Draconian cuts, but did force needed prioritization. This year, we froze taxes, despite having lost $100 million in sales tax revenue. A hard cap on state spending should be implemented this year. Such a cap would also give the state the moral high ground from which to pass a tax cap on our local school districts.

3. Tie education aid to cost control. If there is one thing obvious from the last decade, which saw record increases in education aid, there is no correlation between state education aid and student performance. We need to inject strong incentives for enhanced performance and cost control. Districts that control their costs should be rewarded with extra aid. The belief that student performance can be improved by simply throwing more money at the problem must end.
4. Impose a hard budget deadline. Late budgets have made New York a national laughingstock and cost taxpayers dearly. There is a simple answer to this problem: If the Legislature fails to act by April 1, then the executive's budget takes effect as submitted.
5. Enact taxpayer reforms. With crisis comes opportunity: the opportunity to fix some ill-advised special interest protection laws that crush taxpayers.
We must undo the Triborough Amendment, which continues automatic salary increases for government employees, even after a contract has expired. We must undo mandatory arbitration, which puts salary increases into the hands of unaccountable arbitrators; this has become so generous that, for instance in my county, we now have police officers who earn $200,000 - and unions with little incentive to provide givebacks.
And we must undo provisions that allow those who wind up on disability from slipping on a paper towel to get the same tax-free, full-disability benefits as those shot in the line of duty. This is an abuse of taxpayer faith.
Last, we must undo an unsustainable pension system and mirror it more along the lines of the private sector, where benefits are matched by the employer and grow with the market.
The choice is yours, New York. But at least you finally have a real plan and a real choice
Sounds like he's been speaking with Chris Christie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York